Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
WWF-Rulebook.jpg

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I am currently re-watching Monday Night Raw episodes from 1997 (I started in September with the formation of DX and I am now in late December) and one thing is for sure... Triple H REALLLLLLLLLLLLY likes to talk about his penis.

The wrestling during that time period was mainly crap, but the storylines were good, very good. There was a lot of silly stuff, but everyone had a story. You know everyone motives and, when you know what comes next, you can see that the build leads VERY well to the payoffs. I particularly love how they slowly build to the Mr. McMahon character.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I am currently re-watching Monday Night Raw episodes from 1997 (I started in September with the formation of DX and I am now in late December) and one thing is for sure... Triple H REALLLLLLLLLLLLY likes to talk about his penis.

The wrestling during that time period was mainly crap, but the storylines were good, very good. There was a lot of silly stuff, but everyone had a story. You know everyone motives and, when you know what comes next, you can see that the build leads VERY well to the payoffs. I particularly love how they slowly build to the Mr. McMahon character.

That was the RAW format back then. The matches weren't really important (for the most part) they were usually used to advance the stories.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I came into wrestling for the first time about midway through the Attitude Era, where a bunch of things were going on. Austin and Undertaker were hurt, Jericho and Angle had recently debuted, the Radicals were in the middle of jumping to WWF, Hunter married Stephanie, imminent rise of the Rock and the Hunter/Foley feud. As a new fan, the matches felt fine at the time, but looking back at it, it's hard to watch, but you see the talent of the guys coming through who would later have very good matches before Cena was on the scene.

Blainer114*

Maverick
Jun 8, 2016
Toronto
I started watching in 95' or 96' didnt have cable for a while though so didnt start watching full time until late 99'. I liked hbk at first as he was the most popular among all my friends. Then obviously austin and rock were my favs during the attitude era. Jericho and Angle in the early 2000's. Stopped watching between late 06' to early 11' with the exception of a few shows and mania 22 and 25. Only started watching in 11' cuz I heard Rock was back. At the point again where I just might watch the ppvs on the network and not really caring about the other shows

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Something I just realized as my viewing calendar turned to 1999. The Rock/Foley series of matches didn't have one single clean finish too it.

Survivor Series '98 -> Montreal screwjob revisit. (Rock d. Mankind due to McMahon asking for the bell) (Rock wins the Vacant title)
Rock Bottom -> Mankind 'wins' the match but Dusty Finish as Rock passed out, therefore he didn't say he gave up so Rock retains the title.
RAW January 4th -> Mankind pins Rock after a Stunner from Austin. (Mankind wins the title)
Royal Rumble '99 -> Mankind "quits" via previously recorded promo. (Rock wins the title for a second time)
Halftime Heat -> Empty Arena match, Mankind pins Rock with a forklift. (Mankind wins the title for a second time)
St. Valentine's Day Massacre -> Last Man Standing Match ends in a draw.
Raw February 15th -> Ladder match, Rock wins after Paul Wight chokeslams Mankind off the ladder (Rock wins the title for the 3rd time)

Despite all the gimmick matches and screwy finishes both came out of it looking strong. It was a very well done series of matches.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
What was the goal of brawl for all in 99?

They couldn't of expected Bart gunn to get knocked the hell out that fast?

I think they knew he was going to get KO'd, but deep down they were hoping to maybe get lucky.

Plus, they had Butterbean on a deal dating back to 1997. That's been forgotten mostly...he had a thing with Marc Mero at the December 1997 IYH.

The more I think about it, the more Brawl for All has to be considered one of the single stupidest ideas ever.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
What was the goal of brawl for all in 99?

They couldn't of expected Bart gunn to get knocked the hell out that fast?
WWE were annoyed that Bart beat Steve Williams, as Brawl for All was meant to get Williams over as a hard man on his debut. So it was an extension of frustration toward Bart.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
The wcw paper view with the three metal cells stacked one on top of each other was a different idea. It happened in 1996 during a Ppv. Taskmaster with the horseman vs macho man and savage. You got through one cell, then went to the next.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One day about a year ago I went and watched the tower of doom match. Nobody had any idea what was going on and looked like they thought they were going to die.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The wcw paper view with the three metal cells stacked one on top of each other was a different idea. It happened in 1996 during a Ppv. Taskmaster with the horseman vs macho man and savage. You got through one cell, then went to the next.

That match took place during the WCW UnCensored 96 PPV. It was easily the worst PPV I have ever seen:

Uncensored 1996
March 24, 1996 in Tupelo, MS
Tupelo Coliseum drawing 9,000 ($104,000)
Shown live on PPV (0.7)

Matches on live WCW Main Event show
- Mr. JL pinned Dean Malenko (3:20).
- Jim Duggan pinned Bubba Rogers (3:20).
- Dick Slater pinned Alex Wright (1:55).
- Rick & Scott Steiner NC The Nasty Boys (5:19)

PPV Matches
- WCW US Champ Konnan pinned Eddie Guerrero (18:27).
- The Belfast Bruiser beat Steven Regal (17:33) via DQ.
- Robert Parker pinned Madusa Micelli (3:47).
- The Booty Man pinned Diamond Dallas Page (16:00).
- The Giant pinned Loch Ness (2:34).
- Sting & Booker T beat The Road Warriors (29:33) in a "Chicago street fight" when Booker pinned Hawk.
- Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage beat Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Meng, Barbarian, Lex Luger, Kevin Sullivan, Ze Gangsta, & The Ultimate Solution (25:16) in a "tower of doom" match when Savage pinned Flair.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's the one I saw. I think the one he's talking about was different.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Isn't that the on ethat Kanyon nearly killed himself in, and ended up with severe back issues?
It was, but I think it was a storyline injury no? Can't really remember.

But I do remember that it was the same arena where Owen died, so doing the injury gimmick from a fall was a really bad idea.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
No I think Boston bob got it right. Uncensored. The reason that match came to mind is because wrestlemania also featured a cage match with diesel vs Undertaker. I remember the commentary team making jabs and minor references to wwe about how great wcw's cages were and how they can inovate. Lex was involved in that match along with meng. Was basically a 8 on 2 match.

There were two ppv's in that one week that featured cages.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Also anyone remember mean Jean making references to 1 star and even potentially a second star coming over to wcw as early as 1996 January? They stopped talking about it till around the end of April when they rementioned many changes coming to wcw with a suprise of new talent.

So did wcw already know they would get Hall and Nash as early as January. I assume they were already in talks, or was wcw that confident they would get them after their contracts expired?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
There were a lot of talks back around then. Basically anyone with a contract expiring might have gone.

But Gene Okerlund basically made crap up all the time back then. The money from the 900-line he used to advertise went like half to him, so he pushed it all the time with whatever rumour/lies he thought people would call about. It got him in legal trouble a few times.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

But I do remember that it was the same arena where Owen died, so doing the injury gimmick from a fall was a really bad idea.

That I definitely remember.

No I think Boston bob got it right. Uncensored. The reason that match came to mind is because wrestlemania also featured a cage match with diesel vs Undertaker. I remember the commentary team making jabs and minor references to wwe about how great wcw's cages were and how they can inovate. Lex was involved in that match along with meng. Was basically a 8 on 2 match.

There were two ppv's in that one week that featured cages.

The WWF Cage match was Bret vs. Diesel at the February IYH. It ended when Taker popped out of from under the ring and dragged Diesel under. Part of the storyline that lead to their match at WM XII. (Diesel cost Taker his Title match at the Royal Rumble becuase he was pissed and thought that he should have been the #1 contender instead of Taker)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Was also Owen's bday (I think). It was the infamous Slamberie with the Ready 2 Rumble three cage match.

I doubt they really thought about it. Kanyon was always going to take that bump no matter what arena or day they did that match.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Was also Owen's bday (I think). It was the infamous Slamberie with the Ready 2 Rumble three cage match.

I doubt they really thought about it. Kanyon was always going to take that bump no matter what arena or day they did that match.
It was indeed his birthday, forgot about that. But yeah, it's not something you can really blame them for. It's not something that anyone would be thinking about as it's just not something you'd do. Obviously it wasn't intentional, it's just sucks that it ended up happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad