Classic Wrestling Discussion (as in non-current): Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It was indeed his birthday, forgot about that. But yeah, it's not something you can really blame them for. It's not something that anyone would be thinking about as it's just not something you'd do. Obviously it wasn't intentional, it's just sucks that it ended up happening.

Plenty of other things during that period to **** on Russo over.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Plenty of other things during that period to **** on Russo over.

Speaking of Russo...watching WM XV. The most Russo of Russo things.

Road Dogg was the Hardcore champion but he had to vacate it because he was injured, and they were working towards a triple threat match for the Hardcore Championship at WM between Road Dogg, Hardcore Holly and Al Snow.

Billy Gunn was chasing the Intercontinental Championship and was heading to a 4 Corners Elimination match between him, Val Venis, Golddust and Ken Shamrock. Ken's 'sister' Ryan Shamrock was also involved as she had history with the other three.

So what happens 2 weeks before WM? Road Dogg wins the IC belt and Billy Gunn wins the Hardcore belt and just swap places in the respective championship matches :facepalm:

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Watched the Savio Austin Carribean strap match at the IYH paperview. That was highly entertaining. Both wrestlers managed to make many uses of the belt. A wrestler had to hit touch 4 corners of the ring posts to win the match. Savio was 31-0 going in. (Don't know if kayfabe or true).

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
That was one of the very few legit good strap matches. And it even managed it with the crappy corner tagging gimmick.

Yeah i was surprised. There was some creativity involved. Both wrestlers performed Wrestling while still using the belt. What I noticed is that the belt looked to be around 6-8 feet in length. This allowed them to wrestle while at the same time use the rope as leverage and momentum in many situations. The shorter the belt is, the more limited a wrestler is. To win the wrestler also had to hit 4 corners in a row instead of 4 in total. Million dollar man added a retirement match just before that match and was retired.

Last edited:

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Does vince always make up statistics out of his ass? "The Goldust comic is the number 1 selling comic in the world right now":laugh: (1996)

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Watched a few classic matches today for nostalgia as I was bored...

- The Undertaker vs. The Undertaker
- The Undertaker vs. Mankind (Hell In A Cell)
- Mankind vs. The Rock (the infamous "I Quit" match)
- Steve Blackman vs. The Big Boss Man
- Steve Blackman vs. Kane

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
So I watched Wrestlemania XI -commonly regarded as the worst Mania of all time and I'm just not seeing it. It was actually not that bad. These are really the only things that stood out to me

1. It seemed severely under-funded compared to previous Mania's. Dimly lit, far less pageantry, crowded venue. That's not a diss at Hartford either. I'm saying the way it was set up almost felt like I was watching an episode of Raw. You can reallytell that the WWF was down-in-the-dumps in 1995.
2. Thank God Vince no longer does commentary. He was absolutely brutal that night
3. I would've booked HBK vs Diesel last
4. Man they were really short on the celebrities list that year weren't they? I felt like I was watching a bad redux of Bob Ueker asking "Where's Vanna White?" at Mania IV when they kept asking about Pam Anderson
5. LT was more over than half the WWF roster was
6. And what the heck was with that black Mania logo with the purple backdrop? With that color scheme it feels almost like a promotion for the Undertaker but yet he wasn't in the main event
7. Bam Bam had such bad music oh man...

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Does Billy Gunn have the most tag championships on different teams?

Smoking Guns, Outlaws, Bill and Chuck. Did he win one in the Shoguns?

Not even close.

Billy Gunn only has three: Bart Gunn, Road Dogg, and Chuck.

Kane had seven: Mankind, X-Pac, Undertakers, Hurricane, RVD, Big Show, and Bryan.

There are loads of guys who have three or four, Often when they're in a phase of random tag teams you have a lot of guys win with someone else who also won it a lot. Teams like Austin (4x) and Foley (5x) for example.

But Billy Gunn did have a lot of reigns with ten (second to Edge with twelve), and held them for a long time. He's close to the top on days held (a couple weeks behind Mr. Fuji). That was the old Tag Titles, with the new ones he get that month long Reign as well. The tag titles are messy for combines records.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
So I watched Wrestlemania XI -commonly regarded as the worst Mania of all time and I'm just not seeing it. It was actually not that bad. These are really the only things that stood out to me

1. It seemed severely under-funded compared to previous Mania's. Dimly lit, far less pageantry, crowded venue. That's not a diss at Hartford either. I'm saying the way it was set up almost felt like I was watching an episode of Raw. You can reallytell that the WWF was down-in-the-dumps in 1995.
2. Thank God Vince no longer does commentary. He was absolutely brutal that night
3. I would've booked HBK vs Diesel last
4. Man they were really short on the celebrities list that year weren't they? I felt like I was watching a bad redux of Bob Ueker asking "Where's Vanna White?" at Mania IV when they kept asking about Pam Anderson
5. LT was more over than half the WWF roster was
6. And what the heck was with that black Mania logo with the purple backdrop? With that color scheme it feels almost like a promotion for the Undertaker but yet he wasn't in the main event
7. Bam Bam had such bad music oh man...

Bam Bam was losing left and right that year. One thing I noticed in regards to 1995 was that the million dollar man had 4 tough bad guys that whole year. They even replaced bam bam with Sid. Yet not one of them won the title.

Did xpax even win as one of million dollars mans guys?

Last edited:

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Rewatched the king of the ring 1996. That was the most edgy product I have noticed since the debut of nitro. You had Austin 316 speech, Pillman talking about rape and screwing over the wwe universe. Jerry Lawler calling people in the crowd on camera face to face either alcocholics, prostitutes, obese individuals. Gold dust air resuscitation/kissing ahmed Johnson.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Rewatched the king of the ring 1996. That was the most edgy product I have noticed since the debut of nitro. You had Austin 316 speech, Pillman talking about rape and screwing over the wwe universe. Jerry Lawler calling people in the crowd on camera face to face either alcocholics, prostitutes, obese individuals. Gold dust air resuscitation/kissing ahmed Johnson.

I've long been under the impression that the seeds of the attitude era were planted by creative almost as soon as Vince found out Nash and Hall were leaving for WCW. This isn't something that would've happened immediately either. I'm sure Vince knew by Wrestlemania 12 that they were gonna go. By then WCW already had a full time show routinely beating him in the ratings and a roster headlined by guys like Sting, Luger, Savage, Hogan and then they were going to get arguably two of the WWF's most popular stars. That is really bad any way you look at it.

I sincerely doubt Vince hit the panic button but you have to imagine that in the board meetings the words "We need to change our direction" were used. Fast-forward to KOTR 1996 and they're already experimenting with it just to see how people will react. Then you add the NWO angle singlehandedly revolutionizing the world of wrestling that summer and by that point Vince is taking the rest of 1996 as a test run for the attitude era. Slowly but surely you see his audience adapting to it and even wanting more. As far as I'm concerned the WWF was in full scale attitude era by spring 1997 and by Wrestlemania 13 the decision for an edgier product may as well had been etched in stonee. The only difference is that this new direction of WWF programming didn't have a name yet.

Seriously, you don't go and rename your show Raw is War and completely transform it overnight without several months of careful thought and consideration.

Edit: Seriously the degree of transformation the WWF underwent would be like taking my ordinary 9 year old little girl and then shaving her head, giving her tattoos piercing every possible thing on her face, dressing her and black, injecting her with testosterone and then she declares this male-like, gravelly voice "My name is snake now!!"

Last edited:

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I've long been under the impression that the seeds of the attitude era were planted by creative almost as soon as Vince found out Nash and Hall were leaving for WCW. This isn't something that would've happened immediately either. I'm sure Vince knew by Wrestlemania 12 that they were gonna go. By then WCW already had a full time show routinely beating him in the ratings and a roster headlined by guys like Sting, Luger, Savage, Hogan and then they were going to get arguably two of the WWF's most popular stars. That is really bad any way you look at it.

I sincerely doubt Vince hit the panic button but you have to imagine that in the board meetings the words "We need to change our direction" were used. Fast-forward to KOTR 1996 and they're already experimenting with it just to see how people will react. Then you add the NWO angle singlehandedly revolutionizing the world of wrestling that summer and by that point Vince is taking the rest of 1996 as a test run for the attitude era. Slowly but surely you see his audience adapting to it and even wanting more. As far as I'm concerned the WWF was in full scale attitude era by spring 1997 and by Wrestlemania 13 the decision for an edgier product may as well had been etched in stonee. The only difference is that this new direction of WWF programming didn't have a name yet.

Seriously, you don't go and rename your show Raw is War and completely transform it overnight without several months of careful thought and consideration.

Edit: Seriously the degree of transformation the WWF underwent would be like taking my ordinary 9 year old little girl and then shaving her head, giving her tattoos piercing every possible thing on her face, dressing her and black, injecting her with testosterone and then she declares this male-like, gravelly voice "My name is snake now!!"

Great summary.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Re-watching at that time Pillman was a very important individual in the start of the Attitude Era, he was very edgy and didn't hide it. But because he died before the height of the Attitude Era he didn't get any of the credit that I think he deserves.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007

I am watching an episode and they advertise the attitude adjustment tour. Definitely testing the waters after king of the ring. Vince also has stopped talking about the "new generation" .

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Re-watching at that time Pillman was a very important individual in the start of the Attitude Era, he was very edgy and didn't hide it. But because he died before the height of the Attitude Era he didn't get any of the credit that I think he deserves.

That's where I am at now. I started watching full time for the first time in 1998. This is all fresh to me even though I had watched a lot of recorded clips from this period.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Just finished Backlash 1999, and remember the review of Undertaker/Shamrock not being that good. I think it was ahead of it's time though as the attitude era wasn't really a time of mat-based wrestling. It was actually a good fight with many submission holds, something more in the time of post brand split and the 'Ruthless Aggression' period.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I've been watching all the old HOF ceremonies. I'm pretty sure I've seen them all but I thought it'd be fun to re-watch. So far so good. I'm going backwards and just finished 2006. It's interesting seeing some folks getting a lot of time vs. others. Unrelated, Flair's speech was over an hour alone but that's obviously worthy. I think within the next 2 is where Mr. T got kicked off stage :lol:

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
The promo for the bash at the beach 1996 Hulk Hogan match was so amateur. Felt like a slideshow from a grade 8 computer science class.:laugh: Had purple bordered background, subtitled details at the bottom and a 4-5 10 second clips with no talk just background music.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm watching the OSW on Super Brawl 6. I've never heard this Pillman story.

Did he really work Bischoff into a shoot? I love it.
Is that when they released him? 'Cos that was amazing lol. One part great work by Pillman, one part idiotic WCW.

It was a really great angle Pillman had going for himself there. It was massively ahead of it's time, and it was very hot. It was one of those things that even as a kid I knew about (probably from my friends older brothers). No idea what was really happening, just Pillman was doing crazy stuff. Just a shame that he had his ankle injury before actually signing with WWF.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Is that when they released him? 'Cos that was amazing lol. One part great work by Pillman, one part idiotic WCW.

It was a really great angle Pillman had going for himself there. It was massively ahead of it's time, and it was very hot. It was one of those things that even as a kid I knew about (probably from my friends older brothers). No idea what was really happening, just Pillman was doing crazy stuff. Just a shame that he had his ankle injury before actually signing with WWF.

Yes. He had an I Quit match against Sullivan and he quit 46 seconds in and just walked out and talent had to scramble to fill because only Bischoff and Pillman knew it was a "work".

The whole thing sounded brilliant on Pillman's part, but I can't believe Bischoff went along with it as far as he did.

Stuff like this is why wrestling is amazing. This doesn't happen anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino