Classic Wrestling Discussion (as in non-current): Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Pardon me, because I am going to sound like a homer in this post, but one thing that has always confused me about the Attitude Era, was why they turned Gangrel into some meaningless jobber. For my money dude still has the coolest music and intro of the time, and while he started out on a tear, it seemed that after he got Edge over during their Ministry of Darkness//Brood days, he never did anything except lose.

#nevr4get

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Pardon me, because I am going to sound like a homer in this post, but one thing that has always confused me about the Attitude Era, was why they turned Gangrel into some meaningless jobber. For my money dude still has the coolest music and intro of the time, and while he started out on a tear, it seemed that after he got Edge over during their Ministry of Darkness//Brood days, he never did anything except lose.

#nevr4get

He was bad on the mic, not particularly good in ring and eventually got pretty fat. Edge and Christian eventually got the push out of the brood, which was deserving. None of this takes away from Gangrel's entrance though.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What would the effect be if nitro moved to another day in 1999? Say a Thursday or Friday. Would they have gotten some viewers back who had jumped ship to wwe or would it be similar to tna. Wcw still had access to a ton of viewers from the channel they were on, something which tna has not had the last few years.

I think a move to a different night would have helped at first but not only would that have been the biggest act of contrition WCW ever put on, but a move to a different night would not have saved WCW from the terrible programming it put on night after night.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

#nevr4get

One of the better themes of the Attitude Era. Seeing this makes me wonder how they'd blend in with the Wyatt family

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Always a fan of Gangrel's theme, then The Brood's. Never disliked him but never overly cared for him, I suspect most fans at the time felt the same way. I don't remember why or how Edge & Christian took off on their own, I guess they really had "it".

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Slaughter did get death threats and it is said that he wore a bulletproof vest under his gear at WM7. There was no way in hell they were selling out the Coliseum. It's weird they would even try to run there given that it's a massive venue but also very dumpy.

Cheap plug: I wrote all about WM7 about a year ago. Fun fact: It used to be the most read thing on my blog by views until it was mysteriously passed by the look at 1996 Steve Austin. Lesson: Austin is more over than Hogan.

As for WM6, yeah a lot of deaths there but it's not quite caught up to WM2 on that front (perhaps due to the battle royal and more celebs)

WM2: Fuji, Savage, Liz, Steele, Piper, Joe Frazier, Moolah, Blassie, Andre, Studd, Ernie Holmes, Harvey Martin, Lou Albano, Davey Boy Smith, Hercules, Adrian Adonis, Uncle Elmer, JYD, Lord Al Hayes, Lee Marshall. And don't forget celebrities: Clara Peller (where's the beef lady), Cab Calloway, Joan Rivers, Ray Charles, Darryl Dawkins.

Egads. That was depressing looking that up.

When I typed out WM2, I had to look up Lou Duva and was surprised he was still alive. Well....he died today.

As for Gangrel, the guy David Heath had a lengthy run as an enhancement talent. I might need to find one from a show I can do for my podcast. :laugh:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I always remembered in video games Gangrel got his own trademark in the credits for some reason. Maybe because he owned the character rights?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Just finished watching Royal Rumble '99 again. The I Quit was difficult to watch then, it's even more difficult to watch now knowing what the effect of chair shots have. It doesn't help that Lawler increases Foley's concussions count with the first chair shot. (they did something similar a couple weeks prior on RAW)

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
When I typed out WM2, I had to look up Lou Duva and was surprised he was still alive. Well....he died today.

As for Gangrel, the guy David Heath had a lengthy run as an enhancement talent. I might need to find one from a show I can do for my podcast. :laugh:

I'm not sure if it still hold up at that today, but WMX I think has the highest percentage of dead wrestlers. There are also only two matches that all competitors are still alive, the women's title match (Alundra Blayze and Lelani Kei) and the Ladder Match. Every other match has at least one dead competitor.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Re-watched Lesnar vs. Goldberg at XX

I guess my 9 year old self enjoyed that match way more than I did just now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Re-watched Lesnar vs. Goldberg at XX

I guess my 9 year old self enjoyed that match way more than I did just now.

The first time I saw that match was this past August, killing some time in Brooklyn. My friend was like 'if you want to punish yourself, go for it." I knew it was bad, but didn't realize how bad it was

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
The first time I saw that match was this past August, killing some time in Brooklyn. My friend was like 'if you want to punish yourself, go for it." I knew it was bad, but didn't realize how bad it was

I've recently been getting back into the sport and I've been watching some matches I remember from my childhood hence my post (I'm sure its been panned to death here). :laugh:

Was Goldberg known to have been leaving after that match like Lesnar was? I recall them only mentioning Brock's NFL dreams during the program. Either way, the MSG crowd was not happy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I've recently been getting back into the sport and I've been watching some matches I remember from my childhood hence my post (I'm sure its been panned to death here). :laugh:

Was Goldberg known to have been leaving after that match like Lesnar was? I recall them only mentioning Brock's NFL dreams during the program. Either way, the MSG crowd was not happy.

Yeah I believe it was known that both were done after that match so they phoned it the hell in.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I think they knew Goldberg was leaving, but it wasn't known until later that Lesnar was leaving too, because Lesnar was originally going to go over.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I think they knew Goldberg was leaving, but it wasn't known until later that Lesnar was leaving too, because Lesnar was originally going to go over.

It was leaked shortly before the event that Lesnar was leaving too. I remember hearing it just before the event. The crowd didn't even give them a chance, and I think both of them knew it too so they didn't bother.

What I can't remember was if Austin was always supposed to be the special guest referee or if he was tossed in to try and salvage the match.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
It was leaked shortly before the event that Lesnar was leaving too. I remember hearing it just before the event. The crowd didn't even give them a chance, and I think both of them knew it too so they didn't bother.

What I can't remember was if Austin was always supposed to be the special guest referee or if he was tossed in to try and salvage the match.

They showed an intro promo before the match and Vince announced it sometime beforehand during a fight with Bischoff.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Pretty sure Lesnar told them like two weekends before the show or something like that that he was leaving. He was unhappy that he dropped the title to Eddie and was unhappy with the travel and the work.

Austin was so pissed during that match lirl. I watched it only once and I have no desire to ever watch it again.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Pretty sure Lesnar told them like two weekends before the show or something like that that he was leaving. He was unhappy that he dropped the title to Eddie and was unhappy with the travel and the work.

Austin was so pissed during that match lirl. I watched it only once and I have no desire to ever watch it again.
Yeah.

Goldberg was already going, and Lesnar was winning. But when Lesnar decided to also leave they changed it to Goldberg to win so that the babyface won as there was nothing else to do with it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wasn't watching at the time, but Austin was working an angle with Goldberg where he went to the PPV to screw Lesnar. So I'd be surprised if he was just thrown in there at the end, it did make sense to do it. But I know Austin didn't know that was going to happen, he said he was going to start running the ropes because nobody would do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad