Classic Wrestling Discussion (as in non-current): Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
So I was watching Summerslam 1991 the other day (for podcast background prep) and that is such an incredibly fun show.

- It's the only show with both Piper and Heenan on commentary, and they are both bringing it. Heenan even throws in some cheap shots at Piper's childhood at one point.
- Perfect vs Bret is such a great "passing the torch" match, made even better given how bad Perfect's back was at the time. Too bad Hebner completely screwed up the finish by calling for the bell when the Sharpshooter wasn't even fully on yet.
- The Mountie going to jail is how you set up and execute comedy in wrestling
- Speaking of comedy, classic Heenan going to "Hogan's locker room" with Flair's belt and issuing a challenge. Belt not pixelated. I appreciate that part of the angle so much because even as a dumb 12 year old I knew it was a big deal....
- Very sad to see Andre on crutches in his last WWF PPV appearance.
- The tip top of Virgil's career and why he is still a thing, for better or worse. Usually worse.
- The ridiculous Sid thing at the end where he peeks out the curtain. Hilarious.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
So I was watching Summerslam 1991 the other day (for podcast background prep) and that is such an incredibly fun show.

- It's the only show with both Piper and Heenan on commentary, and they are both bringing it. Heenan even throws in some cheap shots at Piper's childhood at one point.
- Perfect vs Bret is such a great "passing the torch" match, made even better given how bad Perfect's back was at the time. Too bad Hebner completely screwed up the finish by calling for the bell when the Sharpshooter wasn't even fully on yet.
- The Mountie going to jail is how you set up and execute comedy in wrestling
- Speaking of comedy, classic Heenan going to "Hogan's locker room" with Flair's belt and issuing a challenge. Belt not pixelated. I appreciate that part of the angle so much because even as a dumb 12 year old I knew it was a big deal....
- Very sad to see Andre on crutches in his last WWF PPV appearance.
- The tip top of Virgil's career and why he is still a thing, for better or worse. Usually worse.
- The ridiculous Sid thing at the end where he peeks out the curtain. Hilarious.

Holy ****, me too, and I think I commented on the Hitman's Instagram about it a few days ago.

If Perfect's back was actually injured, why are you seeing that as Hebner screwing up? LOL

It was definitely a fun show! Andre on crutches was one of the many reality checks watching the WWF days.

Here's my challenge, apparently Sid Justice and the Warrior had 2 non televised matches. Does anyone know where to find the results?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Got the email for the free 3 month return subscription, so I decided to resub for the summer. Can't really say no to it when they offer it for free, right?

Watched Survivor Series 1987, because I really love the first two Survivor Series events. In the first match, Savage is fresh off his face turn and the main face of the face team, Steamboat is still super over as a babyface, Beefcake is also a popular babyface and Duggan is Duggan. By far, the biggest pop in the match though is Roberts getting a hot tag and the fans instantly chanting for the DDT. You can just feel the fans rise up when Roberts steps through the ropes and when he actually hits the DDT the fans go nuts. I always forget just how insanely over the DDT was and how popular Roberts was for a guy that never held a title in WWF.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
As the hockey schedule becomes way more open I have more time to dive deep into the network again. Starting off with their small collection of Smokey Mountain shows.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Was Elizabeth suffering from depression in 1996? From my perception she seemed sad and down a lot of the time on nitro. Even when playing happy moments with flair, the horseman and "Woman"

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
They had two house show matches, both were DQ wins for Warrior. They were going to have more, but Sid quit WWF after the first two.

Thx mang, figured. Was the Warrior ever straight pinned without any kind of outside interference?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

Found it. Looks pretty damn legit actually. Funny watching the video if you said this was the video that the Warrior died from having his lungs crushed, I'd believe it as that looks entirely possible LMAO

Can't find the Rude clean pin though.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

Found it. Looks pretty damn legit actually. Funny watching the video if you said this was the video that the Warrior died from having his lungs crushed, I'd believe it as that looks entirely possible LMAO

Can't find the Rude clean pin though.

Well, Andre did not exactly like the warrior, so its entirely possible he sat hard on him. He was known to make sure people knew if he did not like them

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
After watching the Edge: You Think You Know Me? Collection on the Network, I'm quite confident in putting Lita (specifically during her time with Edge) at the very top of the All-Time List of most attractive females in WWE history. Edge was a lucky man.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Of the famous post WM7 WWF 1991 angles, which is your favorite?
Figure choices are: Warrior locked in a coffin, NWA belt on WWF TV, Jake/Savage cobra bite, or something else?

I love them all, but I probably go with Flair coming in.

That said, just released my podcast on the Superstars with Warrior in the coffin. Lots going on in WWF....childhood nostalgia!

https://soundcloud.com/greetingsfromallentown/12-wwf-superstars-04-13-1991

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Figure choices are: Warrior locked in a coffin, NWA belt on WWF TV, Jake/Savage cobra bite, or something else?

That said, just released my podcast on the Superstars with Warrior in the coffin. Lots going on in WWF....childhood nostalgia!

This past weekend, I watched Survivor Series 1991, This Tuesday in Texas, Royal Rumble '92 and the SNME where Sid turns on Hogan. So, basically all of the above.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
So I've watched Over The Edge 1999 both live PPV version and Network version. The edited network version is really odd. First off they need to reword the memorial at the beginning of the show.

it says that Owen "accidentally passed away" That wording is...just not right.

But even with all the editing you sense the tone change after the fall happens. Especially since the first match after is Jarrett/Venis. You don't have Lawler going all ga-ga over Debra, and JR is seriously toned down. You also see it in the backstage promos that clipped, most noticably Road Dogg's.

As well the Raw is Owen episode is still very difficult to watch.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That show was so surreal watching it live when I was younger. It just didn't click what had actually happened.

Watching everyone try to continue the show is heartbreaking. JR was the ultimate professional. Vince getting carted away after the mixed tag in an ambulance was...rough

Hindsight is 20/20 but if they weren't going to stop the show. Maybe they should of just toned the booking down. Huddled into house show booking with doing the matches and getting in and out quickly.

Idk what the proper way to handle this show on the network.

Last edited:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
That show was so surreal watching it live when I was younger. It just didn't click what had actually happened.

Watching everyone try to continue the show is heartbreaking. JR was the ultimate professional. Vince getting carted away after the mixed tag in an ambulance was...rough

Hindsight is 20/20 but if they weren't going to stop the show. Maybe they should of just toned the booking down. Huddled into house show booking with doing the matches and getting in and out quickly.

Idk what the proper way to handle this show on the network.

They got a lot of flak for continuing the show, but I still think it was the right call. I do agree that maybe the should have changed some of the booking (re: Vince being carted off in an ambulance), but everyone was probably unsure of what to do at that point so it was likely best thought to just stick to the script.

The person I think it was the hardest on that night was Jeff Jarrett. You really see who hard he took it on Raw, but he was the first person out after the accident. For those that don't remember Jeff Jarrett and Owen Hart were a tag team at that point and in fact had only dropped the titles about a month and half prior to the event.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

Warrior is obviously my fav ever but the Jake the Snake bringing a freaking Cobra snake then to almost kill the Macho Man with it! You can't top that evil, even in the final golden era days!
jake-macho.jpg

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They got a lot of flak for continuing the show, but I still think it was the right call. I do agree that maybe the should have changed some of the booking (re: Vince being carted off in an ambulance), but everyone was probably unsure of what to do at that point so it was likely best thought to just stick to the script.

The person I think it was the hardest on that night was Jeff Jarrett. You really see who hard he took it on Raw, but he was the first person out after the accident. For those that don't remember Jeff Jarrett and Owen Hart were a tag team at that point and in fact had only dropped the titles about a month and half prior to the event.

Jeff was really shaken up during his promo, which of course.

Maybe should of changed the main event booking. Save the title change for another night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille