City of Hamilton backs $100K arena study with eye to NHL

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
yeah, I also don't want to get into this silly debate either.

from personal experience, I have NEVER had a problem getting to or from a sold out event at Copps. There are more than enough roads coming from all directions, and parking lots within a 10 minute walk, that can easily handle me and my 20,000 friends.

And how many more attend SuperCrawl?

I've been to game seven of the Calder Cup final, and found parking on the street at a parking meter 2 blocks form Copps. (James St. and Rebecca St.)

I've been to Copps many times when it's sold out and have never had parking or access issues.

A 10 minute walk does not change anything, and consider that there will be some parking closer than that, and again, access via LRT and GO which is also closer.

DyerMaker66*

You mean the north harbour or down by the lake/QEW?

Because if you're talking north end, NFW no way. The infrastructure, road sewage and electric won't take that kind of loading, same problem they had with the pan am stadium. Not to mention no parking in the area.

Longwood Road and Aberdeen Avenue ftw.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Look, I don't want to go back and forth on this, but you're wrong.

Right now the city is in the middle of planning and spending on developing that water front for residential and mixed use. That's includes upgrading existing infrastructure.

http://www.thestar.com/business/201...to_its_waterfront_as_next_great_frontier.html

I've already referenced the IBI parking report, look it up. There are thousands of spots within walking distance.

The LRT has nothing to do with the half assed implementation of the bus lane. LRT is Metrolinx's baby. Metrolinx has been building transit infrastructure for a while now. They have a track record of investing billions.

Not sure what an artisit's rendition of tracks, or trees has to do with arena location. As I've already said, there is a brand new GO station already up and running right there. ( Barton?Tiffany is potential arena location being discussed)

B821706646Z.1_20140919222623_000_GQF1AUVFK.2.jpg

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4871588-waves-of-change/

Having said all that, my preference is the current FOC location, which, according to Google, is a mere 10 minute walk from the West Harbour site with more than enough road access. Highway 430 is nearby (4 mins from the York Blvd exit & 5 mins from the Mains St exit according to Google) as are multiple lane, one-way (defacto) expressways like King St, Main St, and Cannon.

Hey I sat in on those pan am meeting wrt the west harbour site but what do I know.

There is an unsubtle difference in how cars can get around near the foc and the north end of Hamilton.

Upgrading the infrastructure in the area to be able to handle the loading of a 20000 person arena/stadium would have added nearly 50% to the cost of the pan am stadium.

Foc reno or somewhere other than the harbour. Longwood and Aberdeen would make a compelling site if it wasn't for the McMaster innovation park having already bought up most of the land.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
I believe this is a step in the right direction for the city of Hamilton by doing this study to decide ether to renovate FirstOntario Center or build a new arena ether way it will cost about the same . Then the argument will be which one to do on one hand renovating the FirstOntario Center might be a little cheaper than building a new arena but not by much plus the FirstOntario Center is an Ideal location basically connected to a Mall , Hotel , Restaurants , Lots of parking & Sports Bars on the other Hand it would just be much easier to build a new arena considering Hamilton has the most undeveloped land out of any city in all of southern Ontario & places where they can build an arena could be pretty much anywhere in the city but the best options would be somewhere up on the mountain or on the harbour front .

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
And as the bonus... only 50k (or up to) is coming from the city. 100k was raised by private interests. So it's not really even costing them all that much - at least now anyway. JB was going to spend around 160m in 06/07 and the lead guy guessed it would be closer to 300m today to make Copps NHL ready.
At 300m build a new barn for god sake.

DyerMaker66*

Why? A new stadium would cost more than 300 million and wouldn't be in the centre of the city.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
At 300m build a new barn for god sake.

Likely more. Detroit's new arena is only suppose to cost 450 million. Pittsburgh's cost 321m in 2010 (352m in 2015 dollars). Convert that to CND currency and that's 585m for Detroit and 457m for Pittsburgh. Edmonton's arena is only suppose to cost 480m.

Am I saying that spending 300m is the best way to go? No. One would really need to look at the plans and figure out what the options are. But I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. It would all depend on what could be done with Copps and what sort of life span it would have - realistically - not the lies they'll spout to get whatever it is that they can from people (gov't, investor's, etc). But a new arena is almost certainly going to cost more than 300m and then there's two issues. One, it's not likely in the city center (where apparently Copps is?), and two you'll still have Copps vying for events. Not sure how many of those there are in Hamilton, but I'd think it would still be an issue.

DyerMaker66*

But a new arena is almost certainly going to cost more than 300m and then there's two issues. One, it's not likely in the city center (where apparently Copps is?), and two you'll still have Copps vying for events. Not sure how many of those there are in Hamilton, but I'd think it would still be an issue.

Copps is right in the centre of downtown. The East/West dividing line of the city (around which most public transportation is situated) is an 9 minute walk away. Shorter if you cut through the mall (the picture shown is a little off, that entire block is connected inside).

http://mapq.st/1K5bRjE

Last edited by a moderator:

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Hamilton, while near Toronto and a population of 600k, is not a pretty city and would definitrly be the most undesirable city in the NHL, except maybe Columbus, Buffalo, or Raleigh.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
Hamilton, while near Toronto and a population of 600k, is not a pretty city and would definitrly be the most undesirable city in the NHL, except maybe Columbus, Buffalo, or Raleigh.

Brutal post. There's plenty of very desirable areas in the region with shorter commutes than most NHL cities. Also, what's wrong with Raleigh? I've always heard good things.

DyerMaker66*

Brutal post. There's plenty of very desirable areas in the region with shorter commutes than most NHL cities. Also, what's wrong with Raleigh? I've always heard good things.

I guess Ancaster, Burlington, Oakville and Stoney Creek aren't desirable places to live. :sarcasm:

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
True Hamilton was once an undesirable city about 11 years ago since then Hamilton completed the Red Hill Expressway , built a new stadium , a new go train station & billions of dollars in condo \ hotel & other land developments in the city & most of that development is downtown .

300 million is about right in what it would cost to build a new arena in Hamilton maybe a little bit more still pales in comparison what it would cost in the Toronto (GTA.) which would around 600 million .

Overall I think it would be easier & cheaper in the long run to just build a new arena rather then fix up FirstOntario Center but given FirstOntario Center location in Hamilton It makes a strong case to renovate FirstOntario Center so it will be interesting to see what comes out of this study hopefully it is good news & we can see an NHL. team here in Hamilton in the near future .

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'd go to Hamilton long before going to Las Vegas. Still Hamilton getting a NHL team has been talked about for yrs. and nothing has happened yet.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

The population is expected to be 780k by 2016.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Thats crazy Man. Your entire post. Yes Hamiltons immediate municipal population is around 600K yet your ignoring the app 2M+ residing in the region? Why would you be doing that?... Secondly, sure, Hamilton the butt of jokes for generations just as Pittsburgh was, both still are to some degree. Past in both cases being predominantly blue collar, heavy industry steel cities, filthy. Crackerbox housing. Mucky, gritty. That however has in both cases changed considerably over the past 20-30-40yrs. Like night & day changed. Hamilton a hub of education, bio-med, ht, light mfg & distribution etc, 21st century economy. Hamilton, the entire area really quite beautiful sitting on the edge of the Niagara Escarpment, 15 minutes and your into beautiful rolling hills, century old towns & pastoral farmland. Great area.

Nothing at all wrong with Raleigh, Triangle. Another region with its own unique character & charms. Going back a few decades, some players (NFL, MLB & the NBA) had No Trade Clauses to Pittsburgh in their Contracts, and we know that both Edmonton & Quebec of the NHL have had a couple of incidences with players either refusing to report or wanting out due to various market condition issues. While controversial, that would include Wayne Gretzky in my book, based on what Ive read, heard & been able to surmise over the years. Lindros' and L'affaire Quebec of course. A rap naysayers were trotting out & still do when talking about Winnipeg. Indeed, many players of Canadian origin if given their druthers would prefer to play for a US based team rather than facing the fishbowl existence of playing in Canada while others revel in it. Fact is your living a dream, set for life, won the lottery, doesnt matter or shouldnt matter where your playing, not one market in the NHL that doesnt have its own pluses & minuses, turn-offs & charms. Life is what you make of it. Hamilton, SW Ontario, a fabulous place.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Huh? Hamilton's gorgeous.

Drive the 403 sometime. Exact opposite of the QEW view.

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton

This is exactly why any 2nd southern Ontario team would be best off in Hamilton, Any other place is virtually a Toronto 2 team. A stepchild, 2nd tier.

Hamilton is a distinct city with its own identity. This "hate on" from "the six" (Toronto) is great for rivalry and is marketable.

Bring it on Hogtown!

http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/10/how_toronto_got_the_nickname_hogtown/

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This is exactly why any 2nd southern Ontario team would be best off in Hamilton, Any other place is virtually a Toronto 2 team. A stepchild, 2nd tier.

Hamilton is a distinct city with its own identity. This "hate on" from "the six" (Toronto) is great for rivalry and is marketable.

Bring it on Hogtown!

http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/10/how_toronto_got_the_nickname_hogtown/

Yes agreed... and fascinating link, with links within in it for those interested in history. ;)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Every time I hear "Hamilton" and "NHL" in the same sentence I think about Joe Malone and those fugly jerseys! HHOF greatness and the need for a style revamp.

HamiltonTigers20-21Jersey.png

Hope the city gets another NHL franchise. And I hope it's called the "Tigers" as a nod to history.

This logo is money:

ra,unisex_tshirt,x1350,black,front-c,30,60,940,730-bg,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad