City of Hamilton backs $100K arena study with eye to NHL

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
.... I love a good conspiracy theory powerstruck but no, not buying that one. no chance. Bettman may have made off the record promises to Seattle, "hinted" that if you build it we'll definitely come. Possible Vegas, driven by ultimate NHL insiders AEG who in conjunction with MGM are developing & building the arena were given such. But I cant see it elsewhere. Absolutely cant see it in Hamilton or Southern Ontario. Now, funny things can happen once the shovels hit the ground. Its my belief Quebec at some point were given assurances, Plan B for a Relo & on-standby with those curious reno's of the Colisee' but beyond that, nope.

Looks like a couple of eastern teams are ramping up for fights with their landlords :naughty:. Help a brother out or we'll move this here team to Quebec^H^H^H^H^H^H Hamilton, yeah that's the ticket, Hamilton.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
no, it's not Balsillie. it's another billionaire who wishes to remain private. and yes, i understand i might as well be talking about the tooth fairy or santa clause without actually naming him.

The two big ones that come to mind are Ron Joyce and Bob Young.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The two big ones that come to mind are Ron Joyce and Bob Young.

Its definitely not Ron Joyce. Could be Young, but it could also be a few other people & people with a lot more wealth than Young has. I dont know who it is but Ive certainly heard lots of rumors & whispers that yes indeed, there is someone very serious behind the curtain who's been tracking this for several years now. And no, it certainly isnt Jim Balsillie either. So for now, just a "rumor". Skuttlebutt. Solid skuttlebutt but skuttlebutt none the less.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Its definitely not Ron Joyce. Could be Young, but it could also be a few other people & people with a lot more wealth than Young has. I dont know who it is but Ive certainly heard lots of rumors & whispers that yes indeed, there is someone very serious behind the curtain who's been tracking this for several years now. And no, it certainly isnt Jim Balsillie either. So for now, just a "rumor". Skuttlebutt. Solid skuttlebutt but skuttlebutt none the less.

Yeah i didn't think Joyce would be going again but when you talk billionaires and Hamilton the air gets rarefied pretty quickly. DeGroote would be another. Michael Lee-Chin would be the age that he could play a longer game than DeGroote

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So, do I understand that all this NHL going cold about expansion is because SEATTLE didn't raise their little pinky finger when NHL opened the process ?

I could hardly believe that from a league that wants to be taken as seriously as the NHL.

If NHL wasn't greedy with their demanding of a 500m fee, Seattle wold have made a bid.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
"growing the game" (whatever that actually means) is not the primary goal of this expansion. the goal now is to make money ... ahem, a $500M expansion fee? that's not intended in any way to "grow the game". no sir, that's a money grab.

"growing the game" by venturing into non-traditional markets like phoenix and florida has proven disastrous and has cost the league hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue sharing to subsidize those massive losses. couple that with lost revenues by rejecting Hamilton in the 90's, the decision to expand into florida has proven to be a multi-BILLION dollar blunder - arguably, the single worst decision in NHL league management ever.

phoenix and florida continually operate at losses and have added nothing to national broadcast revenues. even after 20 years, people in Florida still don't watch games on TV: bottom of the league. neither franchise significantly "grew the game" and both will be relocated soon.
so tampa bay is a failure too?

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
as Gary Bettman has been saying recently, what does 'expansion team x' do for the NHL? And he also mentioned something that nobody is talking about, current teams will get less from national revenues each year. Some teams make more from national revenues than their own revenues. 500 million over 5 years is probably more like 200 million in actual money.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think the lack of an arena or even solid plans for an arena was the biggest determinant of have zero bids from Seattle.

There been expansion awarded to cities where they didn't even have the arena finalized yet. The reason why there was no bids was that 500m expansion fee not due to lack of an arena or solids plans.

Seriously 500m fee on top of already having to pay majority if not all of the cost of the arena just for hockey is not going to happen.

GTA2 group also didn't bid due to that fee.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Can we drop the "growing the game" thing already? If the NHL gave a damn about it, we'd be signed on for the next five Olympics, as opposed to a farcical World Cup with half the hockey world left out.

They go to them when they make sense. Going to China or Korea doesn't make much sense for the NHL - both from a location and a timing POV. Holding something they control such as the World Cup means they can run it when it makes sense for them and the league gets the profits from it. And hopefully it will still get some exposure.

Personally for the NHL, the WC makes a lot more sense then the Olympics. I know many do not want to hear it, but going to Asia will do little for the NHL or the game of hockey in North America.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
There been expansion awarded to cities where they didn't even have the arena finalized yet. The reason why there was no bids was that 500m expansion fee not due to lack of an arena or solids plans.

Seriously 500m fee on top of already having to pay majority if not all of the cost of the arena just for hockey is not going to happen.

GTA2 group also didn't bid due to that fee.

And yet that 500m fee didn't seem to deter LV or QC.

Seattle's issue is that even if they submitted a bit, there's no guarantee that they can get an arena built. Which is going to have a massive trickle down effect on what they can present the board. I mean good luck presenting some financials when you do not know what your rent (or debt) payments are going to be on the arena.

The truth is that Seattle simply isn't ready and wasn't going to be ready by the short deadline the NHL issued. Now if the NHL had said that they're going to award 2 franchises to start the 19/20 or 20/21 season and would be accepting submissions as of August 2016, then perhaps things would have been different in regards to Seattle.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
If NHL wasn't greedy with their demanding of a 500m fee, Seattle wold have made a bid.

It's hard to say the NHL was greedy when they got two bidders that were fine with the price tag.

If they demanded $500M, didn't back off from that number and got zero bids, then you would be able to say they were greedy.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's the difference between "making beaucoup bucks" and "exposing people to the game who may not otherwise be exposed" ... the first *tends* to be rather cynical and short-sighted, the latter more long-term visionary. However the first does not prevent the second, nor vice versa.

clearer?

Thank you for spelling that out for me.

It's hard to say the NHL was greedy when they got two bidders that were fine with the price tag.

If they demanded $500M, didn't back off from that number and got zero bids, then you would be able to say they were greedy.

Bingo.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It's certainly an interesting time for this. Now that expansion is being considered

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

We don't know what dollar figure was attached to each bid.

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
You mean the north harbour or down by the lake/QEW?

Because if you're talking north end, NFW no way. The infrastructure, road sewage and electric won't take that kind of loading, same problem they had with the pan am stadium. Not to mention no parking in the area.

West Harbour.

And you're wrong on all counts. Infrastructure exists, and there is tons of parking within walking distance as indicated in the IBI report fore the stadium.

Also, keep in mind the new GO station and future LRT.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
West Harbour.

And you're wrong on all counts. Infrastructure exists, and there is tons of parking within walking distance as indicated in the IBI report fore the stadium.

Also, keep in mind the new GO station and future LRT.

The sewage and water in the area are inadequate.

Parking is penny packet until you get to Jackson Square.

Also all of the roads leading to the area are single lane and don't get to a larger artery (York) for blocks, imagine trying to get out of that mess with 20 000 of your closest friends.

I'm not holding my breath for LRT, they couldn't make a dedicated bus lane work.

For Reference the yellow is the area the city purchased in advance of the pan am games for the west harbour arena site.

Constrast this with the artists rendition of the area, see anything different about the area directly to the north of the stadia?

west_harbour_stadium_velodrome_mockup.jpg

That's right the Rail Yard is gone.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
They go to them when they make sense. Going to China or Korea doesn't make much sense for the NHL - both from a location and a timing POV. Holding something they control such as the World Cup means they can run it when it makes sense for them and the league gets the profits from it. And hopefully it will still get some exposure.

Personally for the NHL, the WC makes a lot more sense then the Olympics. I know many do not want to hear it, but going to Asia will do little for the NHL or the game of hockey in North America.

Exactly my point. There's no "growing the game." Never was. It's a sales pitch. The NHL has always been about the short-to-medium term. They like the fast cash expansion provides and if they thought they would have had to wait three decades for a half-decent television contract, they probably would have never gone to hockey outposts like Phoenix or Miami in the first place. It's why they never followed up their commitments to those cities with significant league-level investment in youth hockey. The World Cup is just another example. A six country tournament which wouldn't look out of place in the 1960's, leaving half the hockey world to sit on the sidelines. A quick way for the NHL to generate profit, to the detriment of the international game.

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
The sewage and water in the area are inadequate.

Parking is penny packet until you get to Jackson Square.

Also all of the roads leading to the area are single lane and don't get to a larger artery (York) for blocks, imagine trying to get out of that mess with 20 000 of your closest friends.

I'm not holding my breath for LRT, they couldn't make a dedicated bus lane work.

For Reference the yellow is the area the city purchased in advance of the pan am games for the west harbour arena site.

Constrast this with the artists rendition of the area, see anything different about the area directly to the north of the stadia?

west_harbour_stadium_velodrome_mockup.jpg

That's right the Rail Yard is gone.

Look, I don't want to go back and forth on this, but you're wrong.

Right now the city is in the middle of planning and spending on developing that water front for residential and mixed use. That's includes upgrading existing infrastructure.

http://www.thestar.com/business/201...to_its_waterfront_as_next_great_frontier.html

I've already referenced the IBI parking report, look it up. There are thousands of spots within walking distance.

The LRT has nothing to do with the half assed implementation of the bus lane. LRT is Metrolinx's baby. Metrolinx has been building transit infrastructure for a while now. They have a track record of investing billions.

Not sure what an artisit's rendition of tracks, or trees has to do with arena location. As I've already said, there is a brand new GO station already up and running right there. ( Barton?Tiffany is potential arena location being discussed)

B821706646Z.1_20140919222623_000_GQF1AUVFK.2.jpg

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4871588-waves-of-change/

Having said all that, my preference is the current FOC location, which, according to Google, is a mere 10 minute walk from the West Harbour site with more than enough road access. Highway 430 is nearby (4 mins from the York Blvd exit & 5 mins from the Mains St exit according to Google) as are multiple lane, one-way (defacto) expressways like King St, Main St, and Cannon.

Last edited:

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Look, I don't want to go back and forth on this, but you're wrong. ...

yeah, I also don't want to get into this silly debate either.

from personal experience, I have NEVER had a problem getting to or from a sold out event at Copps. There are more than enough roads coming from all directions, and parking lots within a 10 minute walk, that can easily handle me and my 20,000 friends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad