Dreger: Chychrun trade talks — latest media report AZ hasn’t lowered their asking price

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
DA got no one to bite last trade deadline for Chyc

And its the same story currently...except one less year on his contract

He is still producing/a top 4 D... but the "time off" aspect still continues. Its difficult to know if he is partially made of glass or over pre caution by the team
Well I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that AZ could get a 1st and a prospect return next year or the year after; especially given the exponential growth we are going to see on the cap coming up. So why settle for the same price now?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Well I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that AZ could get a 1st and a prospect return next year or the year after; especially given the exponential growth we are going to see on the cap coming up. So why settle for the same price now?
Its not so much about settling vs realistic price

Maybe Army wants a bidding war... but it didnt happen last trade deadline

The D is talented and contract is a good one. The health is a concern imo

Teams who want him. Would want him for a deep playoff run potential

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I don't know what you want me to do. BA set his price. It's 2x1sts and a 2nd or equivalent prospect. Don't like then don't pay it. I'm not here to debate whether he's going to get it or not. All I can say is this is how BA operates. He sets a price and when it's met he trades the player. Was told he wouldn't get a 1st for Dvorak. He got a 1st and a 2nd. Was told he wouldn't get a 1st for Keumper. He got a 1st and a prospect. BA set a price. It's high. We will see if he hits it by the deadline.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
AZ would certainly take cap dumps back. So the question is how much extra would Edmonton have to pay to include those cap dumps?

For expiring contracts like Puljujarvi, I would imagine something in the range of nothing. Arizona is going to have to expect to take salary back in order to just get a deal done, if that’s what they want.

That obviously doesn’t apply to someone like Foegele, and I have no idea what the value would be to trade him. I guess it depends on the deal.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The Yote's want a first in the 2023 draft.
That's been a common theme on our sub-forum. Not sure if the Coyotes have actually confirmed that they'd prefer 2023.

Personally, if we're trading with the Bruins, I'd rather have '24 and '25 1sts instead of '23 and '24. I'm more risk tolerant and more willing to delay gratification than most.
Conversely, if we're trading with the Sabres then I'd definitely prefer '23.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
AZ would certainly take cap dumps back. So the question is how much extra would Edmonton have to pay to include those cap dumps?
Pulujarvi's deal is up at the end of the year so that isn't a dump, it's just an expiring contract. Foegle I don't think lives up to his contract, but I also don't think its such an awful deal that it would cost a ton to take it, if anything. Arizona took a far worse player, signed for longer, off of Edmonton's hands last summer and it basically cost swapping places at the end of the 1st round of the draft, so the cost wasn't much there. I think if Arizona is getting what they want in the rest of the deal (two 1st rounders and other parts), then Foegle might be a piece they just need to take to facilitate the deal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Chych was hurt last trade deadline.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Pulujarvi's deal is up at the end of the year so that isn't a dump, it's just an expiring contract. Foegle I don't think lives up to his contract, but I also don't think its such an awful deal that it would cost a ton to take it, if anything. Arizona took a far worse player, signed for longer, off of Edmonton's hands last summer and it basically cost swapping places at the end of the 1st round of the draft, so the cost wasn't much there. I think if Arizona is getting what they want in the rest of the deal (two 1st rounders and other parts), then Foegle might be a piece they just need to take to facilitate the deal.

No, for Arizona taking on JP would be a dump. Why? Because we are not trying to be good this year. So why would Arizona actually want JP given that he'll be gone by the summer? A player like that has negative value for us, we'd rather give the ice time to our younger players like Jack McBain or even whichever random AHL callup we decide to give an extended look to (ie ppl like JS Dea).

So we actively don't want JP. Therefore BA and the rest of us should consider him a dump which would require some sort of add (even if it is a small one). I agree it shouldn't require too much but JP is clearly value-negative to the Yotes, to pretend otherwise seems silly.

And also -- dumping Kassian cost the Oilers a couple of spots in the first round... and also a 2025 2nd and also a 2024 3rd. That's two ok picks in addition to 3 spots at the end of the first round, which seems about right for accepting the Kassian dump. Not sure why you didn't know the Kassian return but maybe look this stuff up before you post

Reactions: Nowotny

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No, for Arizona taking on JP would be a dump. Why? Because we are not trying to be good this year. So why would Arizona actually want JP given that he'll be gone by the summer? A player like that has negative value for us, we'd rather give the ice time to our younger players like Jack McBain or even whichever random AHL callup we decide to give an extended look to (ie ppl like JS Dea).

So we actively don't want JP. Therefore BA and the rest of us should consider him a dump which would require some sort of add (even if it is a small one). I agree it shouldn't require too much but JP is clearly value-negative to the Yotes, to pretend otherwise seems silly.

And also -- dumping Kassian cost the Oilers a couple of spots in the first round... and also a 2025 2nd and also a 2024 3rd. That's two ok picks in addition to 3 spots at the end of the first round, which seems about right for accepting the Kassian dump. Not sure why you didn't know the Kassian return but maybe look this stuff up before you post
No need to act tough, it's the internet, so stop posturing.

Arizona isn't going to get value for taking expiring contracts. That's simply the cost of making trades this deadline.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
And he's just scored.

1675740085062.png

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
To Edmonton: Chychrun and Bjugstad
To Arizona: Puljujarvii, Foegele, Bouchard, 2023 1st, and conditional 2025 1st if he plays 75% of Oilers games until the conclusion of the 2024-25 season or it turns into a 2025 3rd.

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
To Edmonton: Chychrun and Bjugstad
To Arizona: Puljujarvii, Foegele, Bouchard, 2023 1st, and conditional 2025 1st if he plays 75% of Oilers games until the conclusion of the 2024-25 season or it turns into a 2025 3rd.
Realistic.

• Haha
Reactions: belair

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Chychrun will be a leaf boys. He'll be in a blue and white uniform by next Saturday.

Tomorrow you'll start hearing the "TOR/AZ close" by Friedman or that turd Marek (shortly after Eklund declares "E5").

I do declare: AZ will not get a King's Ransom like you say they will.

1st in 2023, conditional 2nd in 2024, and Engvall.

For

Chychrun, Bjugstad, and a 5th round pick in 2023.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Chychrun will be a leaf boys. He'll be in a blue and white uniform by next Saturday.

Tomorrow you'll start hearing the "TOR/AZ close" by Friedman or that turd Marek (shortly after Eklund declares "E5").

For

I think if this was the price, Chycrun would have already moved. And if that ends up being the price, it's a deadline deal.

Reactions: Blueston

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
No need to act tough, it's the internet, so stop posturing.

Arizona isn't going to get value for taking expiring contracts.
That's simply the cost of making trades this deadline.

Who is acting tough, and who is posturing? I was just pointing out your opinion on JP or Foegele's return was based on a 'fact' you didn't know. (ie Kassian's return)

I am also saying JP has literally zero value for us. Because he takes ice time away from prospects and doesn't fit into our rebuild. Therefore we would consider him a dump. So if for some reason EDM wants to trade him to us it'll cost something.

Not sure why EDM would do that (deal's expiring at the end of the year so why bother), but also not sure why you would assume that Arizona will just take salary dumps for free. We've shown many times over the past few years that we're happy to take dumps but it'll cost some combination of 2nds or 3rds depending on the player / contract. One example (out of many) is the Kassian dump whose return you incorrectly quoted

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ

For

Seriously?Late 1st,conditional 2nd,UFA after this season?That is delusional

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Who is acting tough, and who is posturing? I was just pointing out your opinion on JP or Foegele's return was based on a 'fact' you didn't know. (ie Kassian's return)

I am also saying JP has literally zero value for us. Because he takes ice time away from prospects and doesn't fit into our rebuild. Therefore we would consider him a dump. So if for some reason EDM wants to trade him to us it'll cost something.

Not sure why EDM would do that (deal's expiring at the end of the year so why bother), but also not sure why you would assume that Arizona will just take salary dumps for free. We've shown many times over the past few years that we're happy to take dumps but it'll cost some combination of 2nds or 3rds depending on the player / contract. One example (out of many) is the Kassian dump whose return you incorrectly quoted
It doesn't matter if the fans consider him a dump. Here's a news flash for you - you aren't actually negotiating a deal here. It won't cost teams to move expiring contracts to balance cap hits, just as it never has in other years, even those where cap space is tight league wide like last season. If he had years beyond this year you might have a point, but as soon as the trade deadline hits, your cap space means nothing, and the expiring contracts you take mean nothing. So if the best deal for Chycrun involves taking an expiring deal, you won't get paid to do that. That's not how it has ever worked in the past, it won't start now, and it shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what is considered as a cap dump and what isn't.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yamamoto is coming off the LTIR so the Oilers have to make room for cap reasons, so Pulijarvi could be a dump.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Seriously?Late 1st,conditional 2nd,UFA after this season?That is delusional
Agree that’s laughable take… If that was all that it took to get him, then Buffalo would give the same picks and he would be on our team because they’ll be higher than Toronto’s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad