Rumor: Chris Tanev Mega Thread - All proposals & discussion

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Yeah, I am sure you would.

Isles have seen how speed has made them a much more dangerous team. I do not see the isles going with 3 slow skating, stay at home D in Tanev, Mayfield and Davidson. I doubt the isles would be in the mix for Tanev.

Clearly you have no idea about how Tanev plays. He is not slow.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
This guy has to be one of the most overrated players on these boards. Whenever I watch him play ( not often since he's always injured), I am left thinking:" What is so special about this guy.?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Clearly you have no idea about how Tanev plays. He is not slow.
Isles have 2 stay at home D, who will not put up points. Not looking for a 3rd and gonna guess Snow has touched base with every team in the league about D. If the isles were agreeable to paying Vancouver's price, they would not have tossed away a 3rd on Davidson.

Going to be very interested in seeing the return if Tanev is dealt, after looking at the Canuck fan asking prices.

He

Jul 2, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah, I am sure you would.

Isles have seen how speed has made them a much more dangerous team. I do not see the isles going with 3 slow skating, stay at home D in Tanev, Mayfield and Davidson. I doubt the isles would be in the mix for Tanev.
Ha Tanev is not slow... have you seen him play before?

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
This guy has to be one of the most overrated players on these boards. Whenever I watch him play ( not often since he's always injured), I am left thinking:" What is so special about this guy.?

He gets the puck out of his zone, blocks shots and is very good on the PK. Has made many D partners look much better when paired with him.

Tanev is not a flashy point producing D. He is a defensive D who is very good in his own zone. I think the fancy stat people think that way too, sorry I can not confirm this as I don't follow all the stuff.

Tanev paired with an offensive minded free wheeling D is the recipe for a great pairing. He can cover for the guy and handles odd man rushes well.

All in all, not a flashy guy but he gets the job done, somehow on a shatty team he as been only once been a Minus player and in that year he was a -8. I think that is quite impressive!

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Isles have 2 stay at home D, who will not put up points. Not looking for a 3rd and gonna guess Snow has touched base with every team in the league about D. If the isles were agreeable to paying Vancouver's price, they would not have tossed away a 3rd on Davidson.

Going to be very interested in seeing the return if Tanev is dealt, after looking at the Canuck fan asking prices.

Tanev wont be dealt at this TDL, too many other D that are out their with term or pending UFA, plus most arent out for a few weeks like Tanev. Green and mcD have both been injured but are back now or will be soon

KahunaBaby

Oct 31, 2011
Whalley, B.C.

A fanbase asking a ton for a player, i guess we are the only fanbase that does that ;)

Doubt he is moved. Benning doesn't really play games in the media, and when he says he is going to do something he actually does it like extending Guddy for example.

Besides we actually need him. It's pretty slim picking's for Vancouver as i suspect Edler will be moved next season.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I think that last line says more about yourself than it does about Tanev. He is never going to be a guy who wows you with flashy plays.
He is a defensive defenceman. He is as good as anyone in the league at stopping shots on goal and suppressing the offence of the opposition. He can handle big minutes and bring stability to any teams top or second pairing.

A player similar to but not quite as good as MA Vlassic imo.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Scanned a few pages, did not see what Canucks fans are looking for. What are you wanting/expecting?

A first and a bluechip prospect, but I'd be willing to take a younger can't miss player or prospect (and actually I'd much prefer quality to quantity).

Reactions: Tripod

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
A first and a bluechip prospect, but I'd be willing to take a younger can't miss player or prospect (and actually I'd much prefer quality to quantity).

I agree, if it is a recent prospect who has been picked vs a 1st I think we go that route. No guarantee who will be around with a later 1st. I would be curious if we have had any offers what teams they were from and what they offered.

We will never find that out though!

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
A healthy Tanev is worth a blue chip piece. The problem is his inability to stay healthy with completely skews his value.

When he’s healthy Tanev is a top 5 defensive defender in the NHL and is on a fantastic contract.

member 290103

Toronto fans are hiliarios....with the whole 'we'll take him, but you get nothing for him since he's injured all the time.'

LOL

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Toronto fans are hiliarios....with the whole 'we'll take him, but you get nothing for him since he's injured all the time.'

LOL

While I know where your coming from, I also get it somewhat from their point of view. Leafs aren't in a must win now mode, so while Tanev would be a good addition they shouldnt be giving up as much as other teams may. Toronto is trending up, some teams are peaking and want that extra piece to help them now.

I just have always felt Toronto is not a good trade partner for Tanev

Reactions: Atomos2

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Scanned a few pages, did not see what Canucks fans are looking for. What are you wanting/expecting?
Ideally, a blue chip right handed D man, late 1st, and maybe a mid to low-end pick. (Vancouver is also looking for a hard to play against forward for their top 9. they love to add one of those. Names like Nick Ritchie have been thrown around as a possible option. Vancouver is also trying to move Hutton it sounds like)

Reactions: Tripod

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

"One of the most overrated players on these boards"
- random internet guy

Now lets hear what "other" people think of Chris Tanev

“It’s tough to single one out, I think one that comes to mind is Chris Tanev. He was unbelievable defensively and all over the ice."
- Connor Mcdavid ( after worlds)

“I was flying back with (Tanev’s defence partner) Morgan Rielly and we were talking about just how good of a player he is. He was so consistent for us night after night.”

- Brendan Gallagher ( after worlds)

“On defense, I was pretty impressed with Tanev,You look at his numbers, I think he gets 20-25 points a year, but he does a lot of things that help your team win. He was probably our most steady defenceman from a defensive perspective all tournament.”

- Mark Stone ( after worlds )

CHRIS TANEV PRAISED BY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMMATES FOR GOLD-MEDAL PERFORMANCE

Maybe random internet guy who says he has barely seen Tanev, knows best tho.

Last edited:

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
"One of the most overrated players on these boards"
- random internet guy

Now lets hear what "other" people think of Chris Tanev

“It’s tough to single one out, I think one that comes to mind is Chris Tanev. He was unbelievable defensively and all over the ice."
- Connor Mcdavid ( after worlds)

“I was flying back with (Tanev’s defence partner) Morgan Rielly and we were talking about just how good of a player he is. He was so consistent for us night after night.”

- Brendan Gallagher ( after worlds)

“On defense, I was pretty impressed with Tanev,You look at his numbers, I think he gets 20-25 points a year, but he does a lot of things that help your team win. He was probably our most steady defenceman from a defensive perspective all tournament.”

- Mark Stone ( after worlds )

CHRIS TANEV PRAISED BY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMMATES FOR GOLD-MEDAL PERFORMANCE

Maybe random internet guy knows best tho.
Some Toronto fans see what they want to see. We all know how good and consistent he is. He is the smartest defender on Vancouver's hands down. he anticipates plays and breaks them up before they even start. He just needs a better team to really highlight his play. Maybe that will be Vancouver next season with Pettersson, Juolevi, Lind, Dahlen, Demko etc all trying to make a push. time shall tell.

Nice job digging up all those quotes. I'm sure Morgan Rielly gave him an endorsement if Lou or Babs asked. But hey. What is meant to happen.. will happen. I'm just ecstatic we got Pettersson he looks like the real deal.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
You woukd think that Toronto fans saw Reily and Tanev paired up together at worlds. That was probably the best Defensive pairing ive seen in international tournament in the last 6 years. They absoloutely destroyed the competition

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
cant see leafs parting with liligren or major roster piece seeing as trading for tanev is meant to make us more competitive not less.

not sure what position vancouver would be looking for?

i think base would be martin for salary + 1st and then pick your prospect.

not sure if toronto has a prospect good enough after liligren to get it done and i cannot see toronto moving liligren.

the injuries are a major concern imo. it would be great to work something out for tanev but he isnt the player i would go all in on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad