Rumor: Chris Tanev Mega Thread - All proposals & discussion

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If I'm Benning I don't move Tanev unless a good defensive prospect(preferably RH'ed) is part of any offer. Late 1sts and average forward prospects wouldn't get it done for me.

Reactions: flying v 604

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If I'm Benning I don't move Tanev unless a good defensive prospect(preferably RH'ed) is part of any offer. Late 1sts and average forward prospects wouldn't get it done for me.

Leaf fans have put Rasanen into a few proposals, 6'7 RHD taken in the 2nd round recently. Pretty good prospect that was the final cut for team Finland at the WJC. That was a stacked defense, lots of high end prospects and recent 1st rounders.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't know enough about Rasanen, but he doesn't strike me as the puck moving type. That's the Canucks' biggest need and if Tanev is being dealt, I'd want that need filled. A late 1st could fulfill that but if some team offered a package based around a high potential defenseman, that's the package the Canucks should gravitate towards.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
The Leafs absolutely need Tanev. Gardiner-Zaitsev doesn't work as a pairing and reuniting Tanev with Rielly would make everyone slide down to their appropriate positions.

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

Last edited:

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Leaf fans have put Rasanen into a few proposals, 6'7 RHD taken in the 2nd round recently. Pretty good prospect that was the final cut for team Finland at the WJC. That was a stacked defense, lots of high end prospects and recent 1st rounders.

True, also is the number 1 dman for a good Kingston team, not sure if we should move him. But it seems to make sense to upgrade

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don't know enough about Rasanen, but he doesn't strike me as the puck moving type. That's the Canucks' biggest need and if Tanev is being dealt, I'd want that need filled. A late 1st could fulfill that but if some team offered a package based around a high potential defenseman, that's the package the Canucks should gravitate towards.
If you're trading for prospects I doubt you'd specifically look at only puck movers. You just want the best possible asset.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Tanev is a really solid defender and signed but I think his injury history will affect his value/return.

I’d love him on the isles.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
The other thread was locked because the radio hit was fake news-- Dhaliwal never said the Leafs were pursuing Tanev aggressively

No it wasnt fake.. 650 has just yet to release the podcast.

But i promise you. Dhaliwal used the word Agressively when describing leaf interest on Tanev

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
I wouldn't call Rasanen a good prospect. He's had a really rough year, I don't think his chances of making the NHL are all that great.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Won't comment on the type of players we get back from Toronto if we make a deal with them, but the Leafs are in a win now situation. Adding Tanev would be a really solid addition for them.

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
I don’t mind tanev, but I can’t see us shipping out players on the roster...unless it’s Carrick.

Shipping out any Nielsen, Johnsson or Altenen or rasenen would hurt...not super pumped about losing any of them.

Bracco, I could lose, we have a tonne if depth there.

We have a lot of prospects I really don’t want going anywhere.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If you're trading for prospects I doubt you'd specifically look at only puck movers. You just want the best possible asset.

Well what kind of defenseman is Ratanen then? Puck moving defensemen are the most highly sought after type, and that's what I'd want if I were moving Tanev.

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
If I’m benning, a 1st,, leivo bracco and Holl is a good haul. The fan base might not like it, but it’s a smart deal for VAN.

Might take a while, to see the return, but it makes VAN a better team.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
If I’m benning, a 1st,, leivo bracco and Holl is a good haul. The fan base might not like it, but it’s a smart deal for VAN.

Non of those assets screams we need to make this deal now.

Remember Tanev is under contract for 2.5 more yrs. Theres no rush to move him.

If thats the best we can get for now then we should just hang on to him and hope Tanev can play more games and have better luck in the health front.

If that happens then Tanev is definitely going to be wortg waaaay more

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wouldn't call Rasanen a good prospect. He's had a really rough year, I don't think his chances of making the NHL are all that great.

He's done some good things this year. We also have Gordeev which people in the OHL are raving about. If you have an Athletic subscription you can pull them up.

Rasanen is apparently very home sick, spent a lot of this year in Canada, didn't go back to Finland very long but looking better defensively then he did last year. 12/27 pts are on on the PP for about 44% of his points whereas last season 30/39 pts were on the PP, so about 77% of his offense. Just need to look for the progress :)

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Do not trade Tanev for an offensive prospect. It needs to be a defenseman.

Preferably with Tampa and the return being Cal Foote.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
He's done some good things this year. We also have Gordeev which people in the OHL are raving about. If you have an Athletic subscription you can pull them up.

Rasanen is apparently very home sick, spent a lot of this year in Canada, didn't go back to Finland very long but looking better defensively then he did last year. 12/27 pts are on on the PP for about 44% of his points whereas last season 30/39 pts were on the PP, so about 77% of his offense. Just need to look for the progress :)

I really do believe Rasanem is a solid prospect.

But as i mentioned. Tanev isnt a rental who will walk away for nothing in the summer. Canucks have no reason to trade him unless theres a WOW offer and tho the rasanen offers are good i dont think they are wow.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Ugly deal for the Canucks. They likely have Pettersson, Dahlen and Gaudette vying for spots in the line-up next season as well as Goldobin in the mix. And with Benning stating he'd like to add more size up front, Leivo and Bracco would be of little interest.

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
Non of those assets screams we need to make this deal now.

Remember Tanev is under contract for 2.5 more yrs. Theres no rush to move him.

If thats the best we can get for now then we should just hang on to him and hope Tanev can play more games and have better luck in the health front.

If that happens then Tanev is definitely going to be wortg waaaay more

Definitely not a “need a deal now” assets.

Value for Tanev is tricky. Injuries, is he really top 2?

The 1st is probably the highest piece Tanev returns.

We have the best farm/prospect depth in the leaugue. Lots of guys that would be 1-3con most teams might be our 3-6 prospects.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010

He wants an offer that will knock his socks off. A mid-late first plus Leivo and two guys that, in my opinion, will not make the NHL full time is not the type of deal he will make. If I'm Benning, I don't trade Tanev for a bunch of guys that the Leafs can't or won't make room for.
I would rather keep him than trade him for that sort of offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad