Rumor: Chris Tanev Mega Thread - All proposals & discussion

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Doesn't seem like there is any interest in the glass man.

Not worried myself, has 2 more years on his deal, he is not a rental so no need to rush.

Personally dont see a good fit with Toronto anyway.

Wish other teams fans would make offers in here. I think TB has more than enough assets to make a good offer. I think Anaheim has some good pieces also.

Tanev has a very small list of teams he can't be traded to. So while everything is centered around Toronto we are not handcuffed by where he can go at all.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
i have a hard time seeing lou trade a 1st, 2 seconds, and rasanen for tanev.

tanev is making 4.5ish and martin is making 2.5ish. it is rare in todays nhl for one team to take a player with cap and not send back something for roster and cap purposes.

this has been a shockingly civilized discussion so good job everyone. i am not looking to derail anything i am only giving my thoughts.

there has been some people saying vancouver would prefer forwards to defense? our top forward prospect not on the nhl roster is johnsson. he is killing it in the ahl.

would something like the following be of interest?

johnsson - stocky speedy 2 way scoring winger
carrick - inexpensive right handed pmd
1st -2019
2nd- 2018

carrick is relatively inexpensive and not a dump.

i dont think toronto would be a team to do more then this based on what the new management has done to date. i guess it comes down to what prospect you like the most?
That's not enough. 2018 1st + 2018 2nd (SJ) + Rasanen or 2018 1st + Liljgren.

tankisbad

May 31, 2013
Jim had Boeser as his next best player available at #10. he didn't even expect him to fall. They released a video from the draft where at pick 9 or 10 he was wanting him to fall. Jim didn't just stumble into him. :) Plus Elias Pettersson is arguably the best non NHL prospect according to Craig Button. He is putting up better numbers in Sweeden's top league then William Nylander. Pettersson was a reach some had him at 12. That Edler Gudbranson pairing looked good until he got his extension lol. Tanev is definitely miscast I call him a good #3. He can easily slot in on your first pair and your #2 d man can lead the 2nd pairing.

I also wouldn't say he whiffed on The Juolevi and Virtanen picks either. Juolevi is putting up record-shattering point totals in Finland. Virtanen is also starting to find his way at the NHL level. He's still young but he is getting there. He might not be as bad as previously anticipated. He has fans divided.

Record shattering?

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Canucks are not in a rush to trade tanev ..would be nice if it happens by tdl but it will likely happen at the draft. And they wont certainly give him away for anything less than a 1st + great prospect.

And for the leafs, their management just gave a 2nd + for a rental in an aging plekanec. Tanev is a top 2 dman in his prime signed at reasonable cap hit and it will take significantly a lot more than what they gave up for plekanec to get a player like tanev.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Not worried myself, has 2 more years on his deal, he is not a rental so no need to rush.

Personally dont see a good fit with Toronto anyway.

Wish other teams fans would make offers in here. I think TB has more than enough assets to make a good offer. I think Anaheim has some good pieces also.

Tanev has a very small list of teams he can't be traded to. So while everything is centered around Toronto we are not handcuffed by where he can go at all.
You guys pay a hefty price for Plekanec. Are keeping JVR/Bozak guys who both could walk. And your team's biggest need "defence" still hasn't been addressed. If you're not going to flip JVR/Bozak and you add Plekanec. I think you guys need to seriously find another defender. Shot suppression is something Tanev is very good at. I hope you guys add a defender. It doesn't have to be Tanev but I want to see you guys go far out east. You need 1 more D man ideally someone who can play top 4 that doesn't cost a ransom.

Own rentals (free agents who can walk)
JVR
Bozak

Additon:
Plekanec (2nd + prospect)

Biggest need:
Defense (ideally top 4)

I would add a D man if you're going to risk losing JVR/Bozak for nothing and you added Plekanec. your gonna shot yourself in your foot if you get a first-round exit and those guys walk for nothing. A Tanev or other quality top 4 d man can help you get over the hump. eek I hope Toronto adds a defender. any defender who can play in at least a 4-5 role.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
i have a hard time seeing lou trade a 1st, 2 seconds, and rasanen for tanev.

tanev is making 4.5ish and martin is making 2.5ish. it is rare in todays nhl for one team to take a player with cap and not send back something for roster and cap purposes.

this has been a shockingly civilized discussion so good job everyone. i am not looking to derail anything i am only giving my thoughts.

there has been some people saying vancouver would prefer forwards to defense? our top forward prospect not on the nhl roster is johnsson. he is killing it in the ahl.

would something like the following be of interest?

johnsson - stocky speedy 2 way scoring winger
carrick - inexpensive right handed pmd
1st -2019
2nd- 2018

carrick is relatively inexpensive and not a dump.

i dont think toronto would be a team to do more then this based on what the new management has done to date. i guess it comes down to what prospect you like the most?
I have polled some Canucks fans. Currently 50% would agree to take on Martin's contract, 30% say no, and 20% say Jim Benning would know best. (total of: 26 votes)

So essentially 70% of Canucks fans polled out of 26 would take on his salary/contract for the right return. The return I posted above.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Canucks are not in a rush to trade tanev ..would be nice if it happens by tdl but it will likely happen at the draft. And they wont certainly give him away for anything less than a 1st + great prospect.

And for the leafs, their management just gave a 2nd + for a rental in an aging plekanec. Tanev is a top 2 dman in his prime signed at reasonable cap hit and it will take significantly a lot more than what they gave up for plekanec to get a player like tanev.
It was technically just a 2nd for Pleks, the other 2 where never playing here...and it opened up roster spots.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
It was technically just a 2nd for Pleks, the other 2 where never playing here...and it opened up roster spots.
Thay is a steep payment.

2nd for Pleks

Plus UFA's:
JVR 1st + 3rd (or prospect)
Bozak (2nd + prospect)'

I'm spittballing.

To be on the conservative side. You keep JVR/Bozak/ and add Pleks.

That means you essentially dealt a 1st & 2 x 2nds for this playoff push. Why not add a defender if you are putting out that much capital. The smart move would be to deal JVR get assets then acquire a D man for your top 4. Lou is going for it this year.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Thay is a steep payment.

2nd for Pleks

Plus UFA's:
JVR 1st + 3rd (or prospect)
Bozak (2nd + prospect)'

I'm spittballing.

To be on the conservative side. You keep JVR/Bozak/ and add Pleks.

That means you essentially dealt a 1st & 2 x 2nds for this playoff push. Why not add a defender if you are putting out that much capital. The smart move would be to deal JVR get assets then acquire a D man for your top 4. Lou is going for it this year.
You can't apply value to players we have, that's disengenuous. And a 2nd to sturdy up our PK and forward defense is nothing....we did it for Boyle last season. Would i like Tanev/McD? Sure...but i doubt Lou makes that move...probably Ian Cole.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
You can't apply value to players we have, that's disengenuous. And a 2nd to sturdy up our PK and forward defense is nothing....we did it for Boyle last season. Would i like Tanev/McD? Sure...but i doubt Lou makes that move...probably Ian Cole.
I would apply that value to a Canucks team in your situation too. Your team isn't deep enough with prospects to keep those guys as rentals and move Plekanec unless you can make a deep playoff run. if you guys go deep their year you might be able to get some quality free agents maybe a Michael Grabner or something might be enticed to sign in Toronto for a reasonable cap hit.

Ian Cole could be a valuable add but he seems more like a depth guy. If you want go big I think Tanev or a Hjlarmsson might be a better fit. Someone affordable but can really settle things down in your top 4. Take some of the load off other guys.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I would apply that value to a Canucks team in your situation too. Your team isn't deep enough with prospects to keep those guys as rentals and move Plekanec unless you can make a deep playoff run. if you guys go deep their year you might be able to get some quality free agents maybe a Michael Grabner or something might be enticed to sign in Toronto for a reasonable cap hit.

Ian Cole could be a valuable add but he seems more like a depth guy. If you want go big I think Tanev or a Hjlarmsson might be a better fit. Someone affordable but can really settle things down in your top 4. Take some of the load off other guys.
Not sure what the consensus is on going big this year but would imagine it's a lower percentage.
Most Leaf fans i speak with are loving the longterm approach and patience management is showing. Building a strong team while maintaining a solid prospect pool and development program supports that plan.
It may not lead the Leafs to the promised land but it's an approach that has fan approval.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

I think the usage and underlying numbers actually point to him being 2nd paring and closer to a #4 than a #3, not to mention his health.

His value is probably somewhere around a 1st + 2nd + salary so it might make sense for Vancouver to keep him for the rebuild.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
i don't buy that there is no or relatively low interest in Tanev

whether our dumb management team can get anything done remains to be seen but you can bet that there are teams that want him but will seek to rip off our GM

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's kind of hard to tell with Tanev because usually right now you'd scratch the player leading up to the deadline. Tanev is out right now with injury so we can only speculate.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
This. Nobody is going to give any decent value for an oft injured one dimensional D man.

Tanev doesnt fix anything on any contending team. Some want to get better on the PP and others just want to add a depth defenseman. Generally if they're after a top 4 player, they're not in a position to buy at the deadline OR they want him to play on the PP too. He also has no real playoff experience for the most part.

It's not that he's a bad player. He just doesn't provide what the teams looking are after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->