May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Thay is a steep payment.

2nd for Pleks

Plus UFA's:
JVR 1st + 3rd (or prospect)
Bozak (2nd + prospect)'

I'm spittballing.

To be on the conservative side. You keep JVR/Bozak/ and add Pleks.

That means you essentially dealt a 1st & 2 x 2nds for this playoff push. Why not add a defender if you are putting out that much capital. The smart move would be to deal JVR get assets then acquire a D man for your top 4. Lou is going for it this year.

A rebuilding team might look at it like that, what could have been. A top team would probably view it as we added Plekanec while retaining the guys who got us this far. We do not know if we will keep any of them, if we will trade their rights this summer and what that may garner and it really does not matter. Matthews could probably get us 3 or 4 first round picks, did we give those up to? No.

I do agree that we should and probably will add a top 4 D. That does not have to be Tanev. He's a nice fit, plays on the right (no pun intended) side and is certainly an attractive option but managing a hockey team is a very fluid thing.

What if we resigned JVR and then signed Carlson as a FA this summer. Now how much did we lose? It's just not that black and white.

The notion was floated that our 1rst Rasanen and Johnsson would be a fair offer. Leaf fans who wanted Tanev generally agreed on that. Some Canuck fans liked that to. If the trade happens I think something like that is probably not far off what we would offer. Sadly none of us make these decisions.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
1dxet4.jpg
Tanev doesnt fix anything on any contending team. Some want to get better on the PP and others just want to add a depth defenseman. Generally if they're after a top 4 player, they're not in a position to buy at the deadline OR they want him to play on the PP too. He also has no real playoff experience for the most part.

It's not that he's a bad player. He just doesn't provide what the teams looking are after.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You can't apply value to players we have, that's disengenuous. And a 2nd to sturdy up our PK and forward defense is nothing....we did it for Boyle last season. Would i like Tanev/McD? Sure...but i doubt Lou makes that move...probably Ian Cole.

Why not? That's how opportunity costs works. You could have did 1 thing(sell 1 or more UFAs), but you did something else(kept them and added). The opportunity cost of doing that is what you now don't have because you made that choice. I'm not even advocating for selling here, just saying using opportunity cost is a fair argument.

I would have tried to go the Blues route of selling the UFA(Shattenkirk/JVR) and using the return+ to shore up a need either now or later(Brayden Schenn/Defenseman) as I think keeping the UFAs, buying Pleks, and then having to spend different assets to upgrade the D later when that opportunity presents itself is an awful lot of assets.

Not suggesting we go full sell mode, that would be dumb, but there's a happy middle ground between fans saying we should sell every UFA, and buying and having 6 or 7 guys walk. I would have kept Bozak(depending on market price and if Pleks still happened), and Komarov, sold JVR, maybe even still acquired Pleks. But I guess we'll see exactly what transpires by shortly after 3 Eastern Time tomorrow.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
huh? He does pretty decent after the 1st round

Forsling @ 126
Gaudette @ 149
Tryamkin @66
Demko @36
Gadjovich @55
DiPietro @ 64
Lind @ 33

Outside of the 1st round i personally think he is pretty good.

You listed 7 players. 5 didn't even play in the nhl yet. So we don't really know yet

Reactions: Wingsfan 4 life

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
You listed 7 players. 5 didn't even play in the nhl yet. So we don't really know yet

I know...where do people get that this is good drafting?

NOTHING HAS BEEN PROVEN YET,

It's not good drafting, it's not bad drafting, NO ONE KNOWS YET

Feb 24, 2017
A rebuilding team might look at it like that, what could have been. A top team would probably view it as we added Plekanec while retaining the guys who got us this far. We do not know if we will keep any of them, if we will trade their rights this summer and what that may garner and it really does not matter. Matthews could probably get us 3 or 4 first round picks, did we give those up to? No.

I do agree that we should and probably will add a top 4 D. That does not have to be Tanev. He's a nice fit, plays on the right (no pun intended) side and is certainly an attractive option but managing a hockey team is a very fluid thing.

What if we resigned JVR and then signed Carlson as a FA this summer. Now how much did we lose? It's just not that black and white.

The notion was floated that our 1rst Rasanen and Johnsson would be a fair offer. Leaf fans who wanted Tanev generally agreed on that. Some Canuck fans liked that to. If the trade happens I think something like that is probably not far off what we would offer. Sadly none of us make these decisions.
I think what you would lose is a playoff run.

The leafs just ain’t winning it all as currently constructed. Too leaky.

In this cap world windows are fleeting. Ya can’t throw years away when you’re a top (ummmmmmmm how high do I see the leafs?) 5 team in hockey. I keep saying it but asset hoarding chickenshit gms are poison. I know deano machino needed to gtfo but I will forever be grateful he had the balls to go out and make Richards and carter and gabby trades when he saw we were close. You have no idea how amazing it is to laugh and curse and yell and cry and all that jazz on the way to a cup as a fan. If you want to know that feeling, you want Lou and shanny to nut the f*** up and give Willie and Mitchum and Auston and Patty the stability and puck mover they need after Andy makes a save. Especially patty. I really respect his career.

Caution is death. Kinda. Like moderation in badassness is how to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Atrusai

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
This Toronto based article states why Tanev would be such a great fit for Toronto. Suggest checking out the videos too.

Obviously, the writer isn't a fan of moving Lilegren for him but besides the valuation, he does a great job selling Chris Tanev as he is. The on-ice mic'd up clip is from 2015.

If you want to learn more about him this link is your best bet. Very well put together with the content.

Why a Tanev-Liljegren swap would be against the Leafs' best interests

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Tanev is an amazing player and is one of the best shot suppressing defenceman in the game. His injury issues however will most certainly hurt his trade value when the time comes around to trade him. Id expect him to get slightly less or maybe equivalent to what Hamonic got rather than more than what he got. Tanev also has less term left on his contract then Hamonic when he got traded. I think the ceiling of this trade will be 1st+2nd+2nd

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
This Toronto based article states why Tanev would be such a great fit for Toronto. Suggest checking out the videos too.

Obviously, the writer isn't a fan of moving Lilegren for him but besides the valuation, he does a great job selling Chris Tanev as he is. The on-ice mic'd up clip is from 2015.

If you want to learn more about him this link is your best bet. Very well put together with the content.

Why a Tanev-Liljegren swap would be against the Leafs' best interests
Great article and some excellent points.

He seems like a player that would be great and useful now (as long as his current injury, which he’s still a month away from recovering from, heals well), but you’ll either walk away from after this deal, or sign to a regrettable extension. Neither of these sound like a convincing reason to trade an 18-year-old blue chip prospect that plays his exact position, who is likely to be a bargain for at least his first two contracts and, while he’s nowhere near as skilled defensively, has the upside to impact the Leafs on a massive scale himself, contributing to the flow of offensive play in a way that we haven’t really seen from a Toronto defenceman in years. You’re essentially trading a chance to double down on a strength long-term for a chance to patch a weakness short term, and I’m not sold that such a decision is necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad