Player Discussion Chris Kreider Part II: Manimal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Anybody capture the picture of Kreider chasing Burrows at the end of the game and Burrows using the ref as his guardian. If it goes to game 7, I'm going to Ottawa and I want that to be my poster.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It's completely obvious to everyone that Kreider needs to play a North-South physical game to be effective. He should be using his speed to back off defenders and taking the puck to the net with authority. For some reason he still refuses to do it with any consistency. He seems to think he's Patrick Kane and wants to stickhandle and make plays. What is your explanation for this?

so because he tries to stickhandle and make plays...hes mentally soft?

Is he playing well now? No.

Is he playing a north-south physical game. Not really.

But how does that make one of our most consistent playoff performers up until this point...mentally soft...rather than someone who is just struggling.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
We can all agree Kreider hasn't been very good. That said, he's been getting better and better. Plus he's playing with 2 players that are really playing well. I think it's only a matter of time before he breaks out. I think if they get by Ottawa that Kreider will play a huge roll next series.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We can all agree Kreider hasn't been very good. That said, he's been getting better and better. Plus he's playing with 2 players that are really playing well. I think it's only a matter of time before he breaks out. I think if they get by Ottawa that Kreider will play a huge roll next series.

Yeah, he has been slowly coming out of his funk. Last night's goal was not exactly clutch , but if it gets him going, then it will have been a very meaningful goal.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

yeah thats teh beauty of being a 4 line team. You dont need 1 or 2 or 3 guys to be ON all the time in order to be successful. Guys go through slumps..it happens...guys like like crap. you just bank on the fact that of your 12 guys in your lineup...if at least 1/2 of them are playing terrific, you'll be fine.

If youre a team built completely on 1 line...like the Alfie, Spezza, Heatley line of years gone by...if they go cold, you are beyond screwed.

The Penguins are like us, but on Steroids. 3 First lines. We've got 3 2nd lines.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Yeah, he has been slowly coming out of his funk. Last night's goal was not exactly clutch , but if it gets him going, then it will have been a very meaningful goal.

Yes, if he gets going lookout.

yeah thats teh beauty of being a 4 line team. You dont need 1 or 2 or 3 guys to be ON all the time in order to be successful. Guys go through slumps..it happens...guys like like crap. you just bank on the fact that of your 12 guys in your lineup...if at least 1/2 of them are playing terrific, you'll be fine.

If youre a team built completely on 1 line...like the Alfie, Spezza, Heatley line of years gone by...if they go cold, you are beyond screwed.

The Penguins are like us, but on Steroids. 3 First lines. We've got 3 2nd lines.

Yep agree, the depth of this team keeps it humming offensively. It took a little bit to get going in the Montreal series. However, game 4 on it's a different line a night playing excellent and in some cases it's multiple lines performing well. Look at their scoring, it's fairly well distributed.

The Pens have a great forward group, a little less so without Crosby. If he's out long term I don't like their chances. The playoffs really play into the deeper teams hands just because of attrition. Last year they were a juggernaut. Due to injuries they're a little less so this year but that's not a bad thing if they get by Washington and Rangers by Ottawa.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Evgeni Malkin is monumentally better than any player on our team. Id be legit scared to play the Pens in the 2nd round even without Crosby, Letang, Murray, Sheary, etc.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Evgeni Malkin is monumentally better than any player on our team. Id be legit scared to play the Pens in the 2nd round even without Crosby, Letang, Murray, Sheary, etc.

Nope, even with their injuries, they're an order of magnitude better than any of the teams the Rangers have played.

Although if the Rangers win this round, I couldn't rally care less which team they played. I would rather they play a depleted Pens team vs one that's healthy. That's all I meant.

BTW, I don't think the Caps will win 3 in a row against the Pens. I know I probably shouldn't but I am penciling them in for round 3. I am not penciling the Rangers in as of yet but I like what I see against Ottawa, very hopeful.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Nope, even with their injuries, they're an order of magnitude better than any of the teams the Rangers have played.

Although if the Rangers win this round, I couldn't rally care less which team they played. I would rather they play a depleted Pens team vs one that's healthy. That's all I meant.

BTW, I don't think the Caps will win 3 in a row against the Pens. I know I probably shouldn't but I am penciling them in for round 3. I am not penciling the Rangers in as of yet but I like what I see against Ottawa, very hopeful.

I don't see the Penguins dropping 3 games in a row either. The lines they roll out there (even without Crosby) are lethal.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Looks like he and Miller are starting to get over the injuries they were playing thru toward the end of the season.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I have no worries about playing the Pens in the 2nd round. The Eastern Conference Finals are another matter.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
There is a gap between what Chris Kreider can do and what he is doing.
Go ahead and talk about how he stood in front of the net and scored a goal. It is just too bad that he is not driving himself to be what he can be. That is really too bad. He could be a top performer but he is settling for less.
Go ahead and talk about he got this many points.
That is completely missing the point. We rarely see his speed anymore. That is just wrong.

Last edited:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
BUMP!

Kreider has been a beast these last few games. He's in these games mentally and physically. He's getting his nose dirty, doing extra things like talking crap to the other team, things like that AND contributing offensively.

Kreider is one of those players when you see him in his first shift of a game and you know whether he's "in" it or not. The guy HAS to be engaged physically from the drop of the puck or he sleeps. I'm loving his play lately after being concerned about him before the season started.

Reactions: haveandare

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kreider's been a favorite player of mine for a while but I have to be honest if I had to choose between him and JT I'd go with JT. JT isn't quite the monster physically but he's just a smarter all around player. I suspect that JT will outpoint Chris again this year--it might not be by much though but JT's also turned into a really good face-off guy and he pk's too.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kreider's been a favorite player of mine for a while but I have to be honest if I had to choose between him and JT I'd go with JT. JT isn't quite the monster physically but he's just a smarter all around player. I suspect that JT will outpoint Chris again this year--it might not be by much though but JT's also turned into a really good face-off guy and he pk's too.
Neither should be part of any trade discussion.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

And Kreider will score more goals. Two very different players that shouldn’t be among those who need to be moved.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
no, i dont. :(
We need that elite player in 2018 - so we should be happy when we lose games and AV is gone.
Another wildcard is horrific for us this year. :)
We had 7 chances to win it and we failed - time to do things properly. A new coach and a new beginning.

Although I would consider to move Kreider as well - we can easy get 1st for him + I don`t expect us to compete until 3-4 years, and then Kreider is almost 30.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
#20 is a keeper. Not overpaid, yet still produces. Only physical forward on the club. Vesey is trying but not really a physical player. Nash has the size and tools to be a power forward but has morphed into a perimeter player that doen't use his size the way he used to.

Stay the course with KZB. They all compliment each other well.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Took him long enough but he finally learned how to screen a goalie.

Think thats 6 or 7 goals the Rangers have scored now this year where hes taken away the goalie's eyes. Doesn't show up in the stat sheet but it's certainly noticeable.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Took him long enough but he finally learned how to screen a goalie.

Think thats 6 or 7 goals the Rangers have scored now this year where hes taken away the goalie's eyes. Doesn't show up in the stat sheet but it's certainly noticeable.

He's been doing a good job screening goalies for years now. I'm happy you finally noticed ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad