Player Discussion Chris Kreider Part II: Manimal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It seems like this is the third year he was supposed to break out.

Players like him usually take a longer time to develop. When they do, a team can be generously rewarded. But sometimes players also plateau or regress as the opposition learns how to play against them. If he struggles for the rest of the year, the Rangers are def. going to discuss whether they want to wait things out or maximize a return while their is still a shine to a young player.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
It seems like this is the third year he was supposed to break out.

Players like him usually take a longer time to develop. When they do, a team can be generously rewarded. But sometimes players also plateau or regress as the opposition learns how to play against them. If he struggles for the rest of the year, the Rangers are def. going to discuss whether they want to wait things out or maximize a return while their is still a shine to a young player.

he better.

he's the crown jewel draft pick.

our results on draft day, if he flames out, will be um... weak.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I can easily see 30-35 goal production from him. That's my fear with trading him, is that it slaps him in the face and motivates him. It'd suck to see him produce elsewhere.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Heres what bothers me. If ur not on the score sheet or struggling with that aspect of the game you can still be an effective physical player and hes not that nearly enough.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
9 mins left in game vs Islanders, Kreider has tons of space coming down the right wing side 2-1, Fast is crashing the net hard and with tons of time and space, Kreider decides to stop at the hashmarks with his butt on the boards and just stand still for like 2 full seconds giving the Islanders plenty of time to get back and clog everything up and negate any possible chance.

That play right there was the perfect representation of Kredier's play thus far this season.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Kreider wants to be a finesse player. He thinks he's Artemi Panarin. Too much positive reinforcement from the sports psychologist. Someone needs to tell him to play the game like a caveman for a while.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
hqdefault.jpg

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
It's not a total wash - They turned Werek into Lindberg, a fifth rounder into Chad Johnson.

oh i agree.

but again, we drafted werek

no matter how we spin it, when you look at our high draft picks the last 10 years, i wince.

weve hit the lottery on rounds 3 and lower.

and some of our best players were other teams draft picks and unsigned fa's.

but the delzottos, sanguinettis, montoyas, korpikoskis and huge specimins. ugh.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
9 mins left in game vs Islanders, Kreider has tons of space coming down the right wing side 2-1, Fast is crashing the net hard and with tons of time and space, Kreider decides to stop at the hashmarks with his butt on the boards and just stand still for like 2 full seconds giving the Islanders plenty of time to get back and clog everything up and negate any possible chance.

That play right there was the perfect representation of Kredier's play thus far this season.

Agreed. That was an absolutely pathetic play. He single-handedly destroyed a potential 2 on 1 for us. Isles' best D on that play.

Qustion is, what do NYR do with his contract if he plays indifferently all year. Indifferent is a compliment to him actually.

Even if he gets better during the play-offs again, does he really deserve a raise? If so, is he more than a $3 million player?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Complete and utter garbage tonight.

If Stepan wasn't hurt he'd warrant a HS.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
every game he plays like this his contract next year gets cheaper.... good for the rangers in the long run :P (assuming he turns it around)

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Complete and utter garbage tonight.

If Stepan wasn't hurt he'd warrant a HS.

If Torts was still coach, it'd be at least a week long HS.;)

Hell, this is the kind of game that got him sent down to Hartford in Torts times.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

Well said. Completely agree. Haven't seen him crash the net in a long time. Lower the shoulder and dive bomb 'em.

every game he plays like this his contract next year gets cheaper.... good for the rangers in the long run :P (assuming he turns it around)

Glass half full :cheers:

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
A Kreider-like player playing up to his potential is exactly what this team could use right now. Wonder where we can get one of those.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
A Kreider-like player playing up to his potential is exactly what this team could use right now. Wonder where we can get one of those.

If only we had a Rick Na...ah.

That 2-on-1 halt was infuriating...you either pass it to Fast or you at least fire it on net to get a shot and/or chance at a rebound. Not sure what he's doing, but it hasn't been good at all.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The Rangers actually been one of the best drafting teams in the league relative to where they draft. IIRC the Rangers are 8 or 10, and they rarely draft high. They get a bad rap because of Jessiman and McIlrath.

Look up the goals scored by draft picks for each team the last 10 years.

Also, what was wrong with Del Zotto?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
oh i agree.

but again, we drafted werek

no matter how we spin it, when you look at our high draft picks the last 10 years, i wince.

weve hit the lottery on rounds 3 and lower.

and some of our best players were other teams draft picks and unsigned fa's.

but the delzottos, sanguinettis, montoyas, korpikoskis and huge specimins. ugh.

I don't know, I'm not too shook up about our picks in the top 60.

If we're going back 10 years to 2005, it's produced the following NHL players:

Defenseman - Staal, Sauer (can't blame an injury on the drafting) and Del Zotto, with the jury still out on McIlrath and Skjei. That's almost a complete defensive corps.

Forwards - Cliche is a tweener, Anisimov, Stepan, Kreider, Miller are all NHL players. Cherepanov passed away, that's not a drafting problem - that's a tragedy.

That's not bad, really. Especially when one considers that the team was missing a first or second rounder in four of those years.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The Rangers actually been one of the best drafting teams in the league relative to where they draft. IIRC the Rangers are 8 or 10, and they rarely draft high. They get a bad rap because of Jessiman and McIlrath.

Look up the goals scored by draft picks for each team the last 10 years.

Also, what was wrong with Del Zotto?

I agree, the Rangers have drafted in the upper tier since 2004 and they've picked in the top 10 twice.

Jessiman was a disaster - then and now. Had the Rangers taken Getzlaf, they look fantastic.

McIlrath will play in the NHL, though admitedly both then and now Tarasenko was the better pick.

So at worst, the Rangers missed the boat on being elite with two picks they should've made and a lot of people called for. But even throwing that out, they've done well in the face of tragedy (Cherepanov) and by working with less (no pick in the top 60 in four drafts).

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Now is the time to lock him up to an extension, due to his current production. I do think he's going to get better as the season goes on.

A cheaper bridge contract would at least give the front office an idea of where they stand, cap wise, when figuring out what to do concerning Hayes, Miller and Yandle contracts. Even better might be to get him locked up slightly longer term and affordable, like they did with McDonagh should have done mid season with Stralman before he left as UFA. His price definitely went up after his second half + playoff performance.

I think he's going to be better and we all know he has the physical attributes to develop into a solid top 6 power forward because he's still young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad