Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
by the way, you can ABSOLUTELY improve your skating and get faster. No, he won't ever have blazing speed, but its possible. Get him to the skate coach that Parise, Larsson, Boyle, etc used
Lars is a good example in that his skating still holds his game back.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Speculation, NJ is weak on the left side, an injury to Greene or Moore leaves us in a terrible place for the playoffs. I think NJ knew they would be getting Davis at some point and didn't get defense depth because of this.
We have depth if you include Mueller and Santini. Are either great options? Meh. Is a kid straight out of college? Maybe?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What’s the add though bc Butcher alone isn’t getting anywhere near a #1
If we are talking OEL, not sure if we want to consider him a legit #1, but would he require all that much more? He's probably going to leave, Butcher is a young d-man producing big offense, not quite sure how college UFA's work on their 2nd contract, but for now he is cheap.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
We are never going to ask Butcher to be a top pairing guy though.

Why not? It would be too much this year, but you don't think he can develop into a top pair guy?

He's got the offense no question, and he was an all-situational defender in college. Saying we'll never use him on the top pair seems premature.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If we are talking OEL, not sure if we want to consider him a legit #1, but would he require all that much more? He's probably going to leave, Butcher is a young d-man producing big offense, not quite sure how college UFA's work on their 2nd contract, but for now he is cheap.

I don’t want to trade for him unless an extension is a given.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is an old school thought process that doesn't work anymore.

Nashville Defensmen:
Ryan Ellis - 5`10
Yannick Weber - 5`11
PK Subban 6`0

Davies is good enough IMO to step right into the NHL. He looked every bit as good as any defensmen for Canada at the Spenglar Cup and that was with no experience outside college and on the big ice.
I missed this...

PK really? That guy is a tank. He's 6'0 but he's 210. Weber is also 200 lbs.

Nashville's Defense is enormous with the exception of Ellis.

D-men used by Nashville this season
Ekholm 6-4'' 215
Biteto 6-1'' 210
Emelin 6'2 218
Irwin 6-1 207
Josi 6-1 201
Subban 6' 210
Weber 5'11 200
Ellis 5'10 180... I would love to play against a team full of Ellis' every game.

That was a pretty bad example of small Defensenmen. But the point wasn't only size it was two smaller players who aren't defensively strong.

Andy Greene is only 5'11 - 190 but nobody is going to confuse him for that kind of player

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Now imagine a starting lineup with this:
Greene 5'11 190
Vatanen 5'10 187
Butcher 5'10 190
Davies 5'10 180

Moore 6'3 210
Severson 6'2 205
Lovejoy 6'2 205
Mueller 6'3 210
Santini 6'2 205

Anyone else know that Moore is our biggest starting defensman?

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
Now imagine a starting lineup with this:
Greene 5'11 190
Vatanen 5'10 187
Butcher 5'10 190
Davies 5'10 180

Moore 6'3 210
Severson 6'2 205
Lovejoy 6'2 205
Mueller 6'3 210
Santini 6'2 205

Anyone else know that Moore is our biggest starting defensman?

Size isn’t everything. Severson is listed as a ‘big’ defenseman and plays Charmin soft, Greene is classified as small according to your criteria and he’s extremely sturdy.

Obviously you don’t want 6 undersized defensemen but if Davies can play there’s room for him

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Size isn’t everything. Severson is listed as a ‘big’ defenseman and plays Charmin soft, Greene is classified as small according to your criteria and he’s extremely sturdy.

Obviously you don’t want 6 undersized defensemen but if Davies can play there’s room for him

i see you're trying to start shit at 1am 'round these parts, i see you

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I'll take small defensemen who can move the puck over a bunch of hulking bruisers any day. Obviously you want the best of both worlds, but defensemen like that are very rare.

We're built on team speed, we need offensive acumen on the back end to facilitate our attack.

Reactions: Darkauron

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Vats is tough for a smaller defender. Other than Santini I don’t think any of the NJ dfefnders hit all that hard. As noted Sevs is not physical and Moore Butcher and Greene aren’t all that physical. Lovejoy is willing but has enough sense to avoid getting out of position to lay a hit on someone. Hopefully Santini plays next season and establishes something of a physical presence.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

Greene is a f***en solidly built guy, definitely seems like he hits the gym more than a lot of the other guys. I met Greene (along with a lot of other Devils) before the game for the disaster game in Columbus last month. Me and my gf took pictures with all that came by, so it was easy to kinda measure up ...Greene was the one that stood out as being built.

In today's NHL I'm not too worried about the absolute size of defenseman if they're good with the puck and strong on their skates in the corners/in front of the net.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Just height and weight don't really tell you anything without knowing the players' actual body composition.

For example, Michael Grabner is listed at 6'1 188. Michael Grabner is also probably the most jacked player on the team.

DCnV_58XUAIO3QC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad