Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Wishful thinking.

Last time I checked Bell was in the ECHL, Wood is still in high school, and Kuja has been lukewarm in juniors.

Sure Schneider is here and Santini is promising but I'd surprised if one of Wood, Bell, and Kujawinski actually become NHLers

Kuja has been improving and definitely has the best chance of those three to make it to the NHL. He definitely isn't lukewarm this year.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Wishful thinking.

Last time I checked Bell was in the ECHL, Wood is still in high school, and Kuja has been lukewarm in juniors.

Sure Schneider is here and Santini is promising but I'd surprised if one of Wood, Bell, and Kujawinski actually become NHLers

Kujawinski is doing quite well this year. Nothing about Bell says he couldn't play a bottom6 role. And Wood is getting high praise for someone his age.

That's why I said could. The class has promise, a lot more than classes before or since.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I would bet money one of those 3 forwards play in the NHL. Particularly Wood.

Bell has a canon of a shot, good size and he can skate. His game needs significant refinements but he has tools. A guy that can skate and shoot WILL get opportunities. There is no question about that...I want to see how he progresses , I think there is something there.

Kujawinski I look at as whatever... a guy who is plagued by inconsistencies in juniors rarely amounts to much, but who knows...not really excited about him, not now...maybe after 2 years of solid progression and I'll take notice.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I would bet money one of those 3 forwards play in the NHL. Particularly Wood.

Bell has a canon of a shot, good size and he can skate. His game needs significant refinements but he has tools. A guy that can skate and shoot WILL get opportunities. There is no question about that...I want to see how he progresses , I think there is something there.

Kujawinski I look at as whatever... a guy who is plagued by inconsistencies in juniors rarely amounts to much, but who knows...not really excited about him, not now...maybe after 2 years of solid progression and I'll take notice.

I think your assessment of Bell is pretty spot on. Especially given his past as a D, I think he's a guy who can be a competent 3rd liner and provide some scoring too.

Kujawinski has been pretty consistent...after a slow start the kid has 19 points in his last 20 and 18 in his last 17.

It's still early with Wood, but his upside is obviously pretty darn good.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If anybody needs a hockey fix tonight: Michigan State is taking on Minnesota on Fox Sports Detroit, Michigan is hosting Ohio State on the Big Ten Network, and Boston College is playing New Hampshire on NBCSN.

Sometimes it's fun to watch a college game and play pseudo scout. A few years back, I remember seeing Torey Krug play really well for Michigan State but thought he might be too small to make the NHL. Whoops.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
If anybody needs a hockey fix tonight: Michigan State is taking on Minnesota on Fox Sports Detroit, Michigan is hosting Ohio State on the Big Ten Network, and Boston College is playing New Hampshire on NBCSN.

Sometimes it's fun to watch a college game and play pseudo scout. A few years back, I remember seeing Torey Krug play really well for Michigan State but thought he might be too small to make the NHL. Whoops.

Thanks. I have been hoping to see Hanifin.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Just looking through old issues of "Future Watch" and noticed something pretty amazing. Of the devils top 10 prospects in 2010, NONE of them are still with the organization and only 1 has really played any significant NHL time yet is still a fringe guy. Th 2014 top 10 reflect basically what we have right now with one graduation since (Severson) and probably only one addition (Quennville). Comparing them, you can see that we are building and that doesn't count graduations (Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas, and Henrique). both were done by Rich Chere.

2010 Top 10 Prospects
1. Mattias Tedenby
2. Nicklas Bergfors
3. Matt Corrente
4. Jeff Frazee
5. Peter Vrana
6. Patrice Cormier
7. Matt Halischuk
8. Mike Hoeffel
9. Alex Vasyunov-RIP
10. Annsi Salmela

2014 Top 10 Prospects
1. Stefan Matteau
2. Steve Santini
3. Damon Severson
4. Reid Boucher
5. Keith Kincaid
6. Graham Black
7. Reese Scarlett
8. Blake Pietila
9. Scott Wedgewood
10. Ryan Kujawinski

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Just looking through old issues of "Future Watch" and noticed something pretty amazing. Of the devils top 10 prospects in 2010, NONE of them are still with the organization and only 1 has really played any significant NHL time yet is still a fringe guy. Th 2014 top 10 reflect basically what we have right now with one graduation since (Severson) and probably only one addition (Quennville). Comparing them, you can see that we are building and that doesn't count graduations (Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas, and Henrique). both were done by Rich Chere.

2010 Top 10 Prospects
1. Mattias Tedenby
2. Nicklas Bergfors
3. Matt Corrente
4. Jeff Frazee
5. Peter Vrana
6. Patrice Cormier
7. Matt Halischuk
8. Mike Hoeffel
9. Alex Vasyunov-RIP
10. Annsi Salmela

2014 Top 10 Prospects
1. Stefan Matteau
2. Steve Santini
3. Damon Severson
4. Reid Boucher
5. Keith Kincaid
6. Graham Black
7. Reese Scarlett
8. Blake Pietila
9. Scott Wedgewood
10. Ryan Kujawinski

How is Matteau the top prospect?

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009

2010 Top 10 Prospects
1. Mattias Tedenby
2. Nicklas Bergfors
3. Matt Corrente
4. Jeff Frazee
5. Peter Vrana
6. Patrice Cormier
7. Matt Halischuk
8. Mike Hoeffel
9. Alex Vasyunov-RIP
10. Annsi Salmela

2014 Top 10 Prospects
1. Stefan Matteau
2. Steve Santini
3. Damon Severson
4. Reid Boucher
5. Keith Kincaid
6. Graham Black
7. Reese Scarlett
8. Blake Pietila
9. Scott Wedgewood
10. Ryan Kujawinski

been fine brah

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How is Matteau the top prospect?

Look at who wrote the article.

The teams themselves provide the top 10 rankings for THN's Future Watch issue. There can be a conflict of interest at times. The writer who did the Islanders' article a few years back noted that they purposefully left off Kevin Poulin and Casey Cizikas in certain years because they hadn't signed yet. Writer said later that the team knew internally that they were top 10 prospects, but they didn't want the deal with the PR if they went back into the draft.

Similarly, Frederik Andersen was left off Carolina's top 10 list a couple years ago for the same reason. A few Hurricanes' posters were annoyed at The Hockey News, but I had to remind them that there was a reason he was omitted. Andersen went back into the draft a few months later and was taken by Anaheim. It would have looked a little worse to the casual fan if Carolina had listed him #3 and lost him.

As for Matteau last year, the teams provide a top 10 ranking and it's crosschecked against THN's poll with the scouts. THN does its survey right after the WJC, so there is usually a huge bias towards players who participated. Matteau came in #34, Santini was #67, and Severson was #71.

As much as I'm not a fan of Chere, he's not the one making the list.

John Iadevaia

May 9, 2013
Long Island
Fantastic news! I remember hearing news of a possible return for tonight's BC game, but 12/22 is excellent. I believe the first USA WJC is on 12/26, so everything should be good to go for that.

I can confirm this. Spoke to BC Coach Jerry York and their SID. They both said he will meet with doctors on Monday and it appears he will be cleared to play for the WJC.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I really hope USA will play Canada. Santini would be shadowing McDavid the whole game, and I would love to watch that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad