Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Came here to post this. I think it's a pretty good sign that USA hockey still has their eye on him. Why in the world did he go back to highschool? :shakehead

I recall it being because of his parents? Stupid move. A player that's potentially playing with the best 20 YO in the world is still in H.S. Hockey

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I keep forgetting about Wood.

2015 1st
Quenneville
Kujawinski
Wood
Henrique

Isn't a bad group of young talent to have for the long term

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Wood being named to the preliminary roster is quite the shock...says a lot that Team USA would take a highschool kid over some of the other options they had.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Wood being named to the preliminary roster is quite the shock...says a lot that Team USA would take a highschool kid over some of the other options they had.

Wood has the size and scoring ability. Looking at the roster, there are a number of smaller guys up front so they make like the combination that he brings. I don't he wasn't part of the USNDTP at any point so it's interesting that he attracted their attention. I would love it if he makes it...

My only hope is that he doesn't pull a Justin Schultz/Kevin Hayes on us in a few years and force himself into an UFA type of scenario...

He is a wildcard for us.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Wood has the size and scoring ability. Looking at the roster, there are a number of smaller guys up front so they make like the combination that he brings. I don't he wasn't part of the USNDTP at any point so it's interesting that he attracted their attention. I would love it if he makes it...

My only hope is that he doesn't pull a Justin Schultz/Kevin Hayes on us in a few years and force himself into an UFA type of scenario...

He is a wildcard for us.

Yeah, I feel like this is college football where the kid could decommit at anytime. I don't see why he goes back to prep school for an extra year if he isn't planning out becoming a free agent. I have a hard time getting excited about it.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011
can someone explain to me the whole becoming a Free Agent thing for Wood? He probably has the most upside out of our FWD prospects quite honestly with the size and skating ability. I would hate to lose the kid for nothing. Doesnt his father have a connection with NJ too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKN_5IBlpg

This goal shows what kind of stride he has already

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Yeah, I feel like this is college football where the kid could decommit at anytime. I don't see why he goes back to prep school for an extra year if he isn't planning out becoming a free agent. I have a hard time getting excited about it.

I would be really upset if he becomes Blake Wheeler... If he is really good, i have a hard time believing Lou would let him go through UFA

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

He is a wildcard for us.

My big fear with him. Pay the kid what he wants so he doesn't get away.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

He is a wildcard for us.

I'm not sure he'll need to. If he continues his development as a promising prospect, the Devils will be in position to give him what he wants. I understand that's not quite the same as going UFA and basically getting to choose your future, but it's not like Hayes coming up through a Chicago system that's up to the gills in talented forwards. There's gonna be a lot of forward positions opening up for the Devils over the next 2-4 years. Zajac, Herique, Clowe, and Cammalleri are the only forwards signed past next season, if I'm not mistaken.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
plus, the kid seems super excited to be a devil - it was brought up a while ago that if you go on his twitter, his picture exudes devils pride. small item, but still

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
plus, the kid seems super excited to be a devil - it was brought up a while ago that if you go on his twitter, his picture exudes devils pride. small item, but still

It's not small, for someone his age that's a big deal. Let's hope someone doesn't get in his ear.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
From a value standpoint, that 2013 draft has the potential to be a steal

1 - Schneider
2 - Santini
3 - Kujawinski
4 - Wood
6 - Bell

That weekend could produce 5 NHL players for us.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i know it'd be weird and odds are low considering our need (though if we get a top 5 pick, we could take him), but it'd be so cool if we drafted noah hanifin. sure, it doesn't address our forward problem, but the fact that hanifin and santini are developing together, or at least started out as linemates this year, it would be pretty cool if the came to the devils together too

would be cool to have (possibly) this generations stevens and neidermayer :P

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was planning a possible trip for the first week of February. Just stumbled upon an outdoor doubleheader at Soldier Field on 2/7. Miami (Coleman) vs Western Michigan, Michigan State (Jacobs) vs Michigan. Just in case any of the Chicago area Devils fans hadn't seen that.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
It would be a shame if he didn't. There's been some talk that he could even be named captain of the team. I hope he can get healthy in time and be good to go.

If he's healthy he's on it 100%. He'll probably even make it if he's 50/50

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
There is even some talk of Santini being named Captain.... I would more surprised if he didn't make the team even after the long absence.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
With Coleman at Miami, I assume our scouts have gotten a decent look at Austin Czarnik. It's a little early in the season to talk potential NCAA UFAs, but we should really pursue Czarnik. Maybe he could turn out like Tyler Johnson, another undrafted and undersized player. He was top 10 in the NCAA in points last year and has led the Redhawks in scoring each year, except his freshman year, he was 2nd to Reilly Smith.

I don't know if he has chemistry with Coleman, or how much they played together, but it would be an added bonus if they have. Czarnik is a right handed shot, and our system is really lacking right handed forwards. I've never seen him play, but he seems like he'd be an excellent signing. I assume he'll be one of the most pursued college UFAs at the end of the season.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
From a value standpoint, that 2013 draft has the potential to be a steal

1 - Schneider
2 - Santini
3 - Kujawinski
4 - Wood
6 - Bell

That weekend could produce 5 NHL players for us.

Wishful thinking.

Last time I checked Bell was in the ECHL, Wood is still in high school, and Kuja has been lukewarm in juniors.

Sure Schneider is here and Santini is promising but I'd surprised if one of Wood, Bell, and Kujawinski actually become NHLers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad