Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Hasenauer ‏@sportsgirlkat 5h5 hours ago

Buffalo native Miles Wood with a nice rush up the ice. Showing good speed in this practice and uses his size well.

‏@JoshuaKummins 5h5 hours ago

Miles Wood with a great move around Anthony DeAngelo for a shot. Physical, and he can move. Wow, he's leaving a mark. #USAWJC

‏@JoshuaKummins 6h6 hours ago

Nobles' Miles Wood definitely leaving an impression. Big boy, just left hit on Michigan's J.T. Compher in an offensive zone drill. #USAWJC

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I was gonna say earlier, don't let Wood's spot on the "6th" line fool you. There's a reason he's at that camp, and a lot of times they'll have the guys they know they want on a depth line playing with the depth guys, while all the guys who have a shot at the scoring lines all play together in the middle. Really nice to hear he's impressing, even if he's only blowing by DeAngelo.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I was gonna say earlier, don't let Wood's spot on the "6th" line fool you. There's a reason he's at that camp, and a lot of times they'll have the guys they know they want on a depth line playing with the depth guys, while all the guys who have a shot at the scoring lines all play together in the middle. Really nice to hear he's impressing, even if he's only blowing by DeAngelo.
Good call, didn't consider that, but totally makes sense.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
"I mean we're just right now, he's in a situation we're just trying to get him healthy. And when and if he can go full, we need to see that," coach Mark Osiecki said. "And you know what he brings to the table, and the thing that you can't teach is leadership skills. He's been awesome so far in the locker room and on the bench, on the ice. You just can't teach that stuff."

Steve "Sheriff" Santini: Our future captain.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Wood had a strong 1st period in the U.S. vs. BU game tonight. The coach is taking notice. He gave Wood a couple of shifts on the top line with Eichel and the 2nd line with Schmaltz and Compher.

Going into the 2nd now. Here's the link if anyone wants to watch the rest of it while watching the Devils game. Wood is #11.

http://www.goterriers.com/collegesportslive/

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Rhonda R. McClure @HockeyMaven1917 1h ago
Miles Wood making sure that USA Hockey guys take notice of him! He did say he's competitive. #USAWJC

Brian McLoughlin ‏@bmcloughlin22 1h1 hour ago
Miles Wood is one of the more impressive players on this USA roster, making a strong case to make the 23-man roster

Mike Morreale ‏@mikemorrealeNHL 1h1 hour ago
Miles Wood (NJD) getting every opportunity here. Has played with Eichel and was on 2nd line there w/ Schmaltz-Compher.

Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 35m35 minutes ago
Miles Wood with another shot on Eichel's line with Tuch. He's looked terrific tonight.

Joshua Kummins ‏@JoshuaKummins 34m34 minutes ago
Miles Wood took a shot on goal on line with Jack Eichel and Alex Tuch. Devils prospect from Nobles has looked outstanding for #USAWJC.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Miles Wood making sure that USA Hockey guys take notice of him! He did say he's competitive. #USAWJC

Miles Wood is one of the more impressive players on this USA roster, making a strong case to make the 23-man roster

Miles Wood (NJD) getting every opportunity here. Has played with Eichel and was on 2nd line there w/ Schmaltz-Compher.

Miles Wood with another shot on Eichel's line with Tuch. He's looked terrific tonight.

Miles Wood took a shot on goal on line with Jack Eichel and Alex Tuch. Devils prospect from Nobles has looked outstanding for #USAWJC.

These are things I enjoy reading!!!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Oh my goodness, this makes me so happy.

There is a "WOODy" joke somewhere in this, I just don't know how to make it.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Awesome stuff!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
When I first heard heard Wood was an invite, I thought there was no way possible he would even get past the first cut...this is a very talented Team USA... because of the fact that Wood hasn't had the quality of competition of other players who are coming from the NCAA or the CHL, I thought there was no way possible...

If he makes the team it says a lot...a real lot.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I know Wood hasn't played the best competition yet, but if he has the skills cut out to make the team then that shouldn't matter. Obviously he has some semblance of talent given that not only did he get an invite, but he's still on the team and apparently turning some heads. I really hope he keeps his play up and makes the team, if nothing more so that I can finally watch him play :laugh:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
When I first heard heard Wood was an invite, I thought there was no way possible he would even get past the first cut...this is a very talented Team USA... because of the fact that Wood hasn't had the quality of competition of other players who are coming from the NCAA or the CHL, I thought there was no way possible...

If he makes the team it says a lot...a real lot.

If he makes the team, are we really going to have to wait for him to play 4 years at BC? If he's this good already, couldn't he go to the A next year?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If he makes the team, are we really going to have to wait for him to play 4 years at BC? If he's this good already, couldn't he go to the A next year?

Hard to say...His family obviously putsa very high value on education.... that is the reason he is at Nobles this year in the first place.

I'm sure his family will push him with an education first mentality and you can't blame them for that.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Was reading an article about our prospects and came across a section on Alex Kerfoot. He's playing really well at Harvard but isn't getting a lot of attention. He's played 10 games, has 15 points and in match ups vs. key opponents he has shined. (2A vs Boston University, 3G 2A vs Boston College, 1A vs Union) Keep in mind that he's a sophomore too.

I'm not sure if he'll be special or anything but those are some impressive stats for a 20 year old drafted with the 150th pick.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Hard to say...His family obviously putsa very high value on education.... that is the reason he is at Nobles this year in the first place.

I'm sure his family will push him with an education first mentality and you can't blame them for that.

Blame them? Definitely not, I graduated from BC and I would recommend the school to anyone.

Selfishly concerned and disappointed as a fan...

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I'm more than a little concerned about this, myself.

A lot can happen in 4 years though. He could go for a year or two and finish his degree in the off seasons. Or, the Devils can pony up and pay the kid if he's this good too.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Blame them? Definitely not, I graduated from BC and I would recommend the school to anyone.

Selfishly concerned and disappointed as a fan...

I spent a lot of time in Cleveland Circle at Cityside :) Northeastern undergrad - BU grad :)

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Miles Wood - Not sure if he'll make the roster, but Friday night's performance certainly won't hurt his chances. He was lined up with Eichel on several shifts and looked very solid. As Mark Osiecki commented after the game, he didn't look like he's been playing against prep school competition all season. He's a real good skater and plays with an edge.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/12/20/7426067/usa-world-junior-team-bu-standouts-miles-wood-noah-hanifin-jt-compher

Standouts from tonight's game:

Jack Eichel
Noah Hanifin
Anthony DeAngelo
JT Compher
The entire third line - Milano, De Leo and Louis

Miles Wood - thrown into the fire, even taking a handful of shifts with Eichel and Tuch and didn't look a bit out of place. Felt he at least earned a longer look.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Julie-Robenhymer/USA-Defeats-BU-5-2-Reduces-Roster-to-27/99/64955

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Whatever ends up happening, that he's drawing this much attention with his play, surviving the first cuts, making it a hard decision for team USA, and coming right out of prep school and looking like he belongs on what is a very deep USA team, is a real success for this kid, and great news for the Devils.

He's legitimizing all the claims that this is a kid with a good amount of potential.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Whatever ends up happening, that he's drawing this much attention with his play, surviving the first cuts, making it a hard decision for team USA, and coming right out of prep school and looking like he belongs on what is a very deep USA team, is a real success for this kid, and great news for the Devils.

He's legitimizing all the claims that this is a kid with a good amount of potential.
Absolutely...100% agree. Nice post.

I really hope we get an opportunity to see him. Everybody seems to be talking about his speed and really, that has me most excited...good size, speed, with skill and plays with an edge? Could you possibly draw up a player the Devils need more than that description?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad