Child Prodigy

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
AA2A4ED8-3227-416F-A442-51FBC4F033F1_zpsbf3lvtmj.jpeg
Very cool. Nice collection of some players that have the potential to carve out serious NHL careers.

Ive since added a bunch of 19’ draft eligible players from the NTDP

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Points are good. But does it has his value in such low leagues?
Value? Well, I'm not sure what you mean with value, but... Let's take the 2019 draft season for instance, only one top prospect played in C2 AAA when he was Kiviharju's age. That's Kaapo Kakko. He scored 34 points in 27 games.

If we're being honest, skillwise he should be playing in CSM already. But I guess it'd be quite difficult physically at this point. Assuming that he plays this entire season at the C2 AAA level, my prediction is that next season, he plays in CSM to start with, then gets promoted to BSM in spring. Then he starts in ASM in 20-21 and in Liiga in 21-22, at 15 years of age.

Mercedes Benn

Aug 3, 2018
Connor Bedard is absolutely tearing up CSSHL bantam prep. 22 pts in 5 games.
For reference:

Matthew Savoie - 28 G, 69A, in 30 games (3.23 ppg)

Connor Bedard - 15 G, 7A, in 5 games (4.40 ppg)

Averaging a hattrick a game. Anyone seen this kid play?

Gilliage

Nov 16, 2018
Connor Bedard is leading the Pat Quinn Classic in the Peewee Elite level. It is a tournament with most of the best 04s in western North America he is an 05. He has 14 points the next closest has 9.
That is interesting but he does sound like a BIG boy for his age. He is 13 and 5 ft 7 , and 150 pounds. Is it just me or maybe he is really far along the growth chart??? This boy is about 8 months older than my son...who is 5 ft and 87 lbs. Can you imagine lol. Would love to know who big his parents are and how close in % he is to attaining that height. Our little guy will be around 6 '2 and 210 when he is done growing. How old was this guy when he was 5 ft and 87 lbs??? Would love to see him against my guy at the same size.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
That is interesting but he does sound like a BIG boy for his age. He is 13 and 5 ft 7 , and 150 pounds. Is it just me or maybe he is really far along the growth chart??? This boy is about 8 months older than my son...who is 5 ft and 87 lbs. Can you imagine lol. Would love to know who big his parents are and how close in % he is to attaining that height. Our little guy will be around 6 '2 and 210 when he is done growing. How old was this guy when he was 5 ft and 87 lbs??? Would love to see him against my guy at the same size.

I was 5'9" and probably 120 lbs at age 13. While that was 30 years ago, by the time I was in my hockey prime, I was 6'1" and 200 lbs 20 years ago. Not all muscle, not particularly fit, but with the uncontrollable factor being height, we have know idea what his 5'7" right now means. He could go on to he 6'5", he could go on to be 5'9", it depends on when his vertical growth spurt happens. Mine happened early, and I'm at average to maybe slightly above average height now.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
I was 5'9" and probably 120 lbs at age 13. While that was 30 years ago, by the time I was in my hockey prime, I was 6'1" and 200 lbs 20 years ago. Not all muscle, not particularly fit, but with the uncontrollable factor being height, we have know idea what his 5'7" right now means. He could go on to he 6'5", he could go on to be 5'9", it depends on when his vertical growth spurt happens. Mine happened early, and I'm at average to maybe slightly above average height now.

6'1" is way more than average height! The average height for men in canada is 5'8"

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

Yeah, I know some people who were 5'6-5'7 at 13, and literally only grew another 1-2 inches Max. Everybody is different. I was a dwarf at 12/13...about 5'0 flat. I was worried I'd max out at about 5'6. I ended up 5'10 after a late growth spurt, which isn't tall by any means, but taller than I was fearing.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Connor Bedard is absolutely tearing up CSSHL bantam prep. 22 pts in 5 games.
For reference:

Matthew Savoie - 28 G, 69A, in 30 games (3.23 ppg)

Connor Bedard - 15 G, 7A, in 5 games (4.40 ppg)

Averaging a hattrick a game. Anyone seen this kid play?

Both are hockey prodigies in the making. Bedard probably is around 3 and a half ppg after 30 games too , ridiculous.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Not overly big, but strong and doesn't back down. He is incredibly skilled and fast, plus he is a very smart player who uses his line mates well. Scoutman said the last time he saw a 13 year old use his line mates the way Savoie does, he was watching a young Sid Crosby.

Not so long ago, Savoie was very hyped.

WCSGarrett

Zamboni Driver
Feb 18, 2018
Seattle
www.youtube.com
When Cam York (USNTDP) was just starting to play Ice hockey in the mite division, they used to play on a full size NHL rink. Cam could essentially go Top Shelf from behind the red line, it wasn't like a sniper shot, but still. When asked about it he simply replied that the goalies are too short to reach the puck if I shoot it over them, completely ignoring the fact that no one else can elevate the puck for 10feet, yet more than half an NHL rink. It was funny, but he had some crazy coaches, multiple Olympic medalists and NHL players.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
Seth Jarvis from Winnipeg, currently playing on the Peewee AA Rangers.

Kid is a good. Highlight videos posted by (presumably) his Dad.

Round 2 playoff highlights

Round 1 playoff highlights

and a whole other more highlight videos here
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDvr0_d93QzMcOLhatl1g3Q/videos

A buddy and I just came across a conversation we had in 2016 where I brought up Jarvis and I was wondering how I possibly would have heard of him... then I checked out this thread which I used to read all the time. All credit goes to you sir! Over 5 years out that's pretty insane, a rare case where one of these 13 yr old Youtube sensations actually ends up a first rounder!

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Lol. Nathan MacKinnon? He lives in NS, but is going to Shattuck, the same prep school Crosby went to for hockey.

Wow...that was a pretty good pick up, at the moment of this post, MacKinnon was 13 going for 14.

From Finland Urho Vaakainen has been talked about for almost 2 years now and he's only 14. Already playing on the u18 league.

Urho Vaakanainen at eliteprospects.com

Another good pick up.

I know Dustin Rose is a joke but is he even a real person? I wasn't really on message boards when the joke was popular so I missed all of it apparently. I'm not sure if he more like a Chuck Norris (exaggerated real person) or the Dos Equis Guy (fake person entirely)

I'm sure I'll get some "funny" replies but it's a serious question. Was he some kid who had one amazing game and sucked after that? Was he a made up child prodigy? something else? lol I'm curious.

Urban Dictionary: Dustin Rose

Last edited by a moderator:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
2003 born Zachary Stringer in Alberta, playing bantam as a double underager and off to a decent start. 10 pts in 8 games.

AMBHL - Player Leaderboard

Benson got 84 pts as a underage player for comparisons sake. Kirby Dach broke Benson's record and got 100 pts as an underager and he's ranked 1st for the 2001 dob in the whl. Keeps progressing at this level he might even surpass Dach's record next year for all we know.

Stringer also was one of the leaders in that summer tournament in Europe. Massive kid also, already 5'10 or 5'11.

Nice pick up!.

Very impressive. He can't be more than 13 years old, if that... Jeez, he could be a monster one day.

You weren't wrong.

This board always gets a little dead around this time, So I thought I'd throw out some names of players who look to have special talent:

Josh Lawrence(2002) Josh Lawrence at eliteprospects.com

Antonio Stranges(2002) Antonio Stranges at eliteprospects.com

Matthew Savoie(2004)

Footage of the first and last players are available at World Selects Invitational

Every game is uploaded for the 2002-2004 tournaments, in case anyone is interested

WOW...holy hell!! Nice!!. He was like 11, 12 years old when you posted this.

Nobody picked Shane Wright thou....

could possibly be (04) Shane Wright. He is the only underage player i am aware of on the flyers

Oops..here he is, nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Awesome pick up, you were one of the few.
Yeah, watching Jarvis play in Peewee was ridiculous. He was doing ridiculous things out there, no one stood a chance. Just watch those quoted videos. I guess it's clear now that's what an NHL prospect looks like at 12 years old, lol.

I had similar views on Carson Lambos at the time, who looks like he should be a top 10 pick in 2021.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
A buddy and I just came across a conversation we had in 2016 where I brought up Jarvis and I was wondering how I possibly would have heard of him... then I checked out this thread which I used to read all the time. All credit goes to you sir! Over 5 years out that's pretty insane, a rare case where one of these 13 yr old Youtube sensations actually ends up a first rounder!
Thanks. It's been awesome following his development. I wouldn't even say he was a youtube sensation, those videos had very little views at the time. Just a great hockey player.

Reactions: 1967th Heaven

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Not really a "child prodigy" since it was probably about kids who were 13 and under, but if the question was who is the next "Crosby" type player in minor hockey, the answer is definitely Connor Bedard. He has that extra something special.

Matt Savoie was mentioned a lot earlier in this thread from years ago, but Bedard is on a level ahead of him (though he's younger). And it should be noted that Savoie in one of his few WHL games last year got absolutely destroyed...knocked out cold...sleeping on the ice...good night, put that boy to bed, type of hits. That's gotta hurt his stock and development.

Connor needs to avoid that and I think he probably will unless it's an out and out targeted attack. Bedard has a better hockey sense than Savoie and other mentioned in this thread.

And like most "next ones" Bedard has been brought into the fold already, trains/practices with existing NHL stars like Barzal.

He was drafted by the Regina Pats of WHL, but his parents aren't messing around with possible restrictions from COVID in North America. Bedard is currently in Sweden where there's no chance of shutdowns and delays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad