Child Prodigy

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I wish him all the best, but "Child Prodigy" is a bit too much for a kid that just turned 11 years old, that should only be a label for the Gretzkys and Crosbys. There have been a lot of kids who tore it up in Atom and Pee Wee over the years, wait until Bantam starts.

I fully agree "prodigy" is too much. There is so much training at such young ages (for those with money) that it is hard to imagine a kid separating themselves the way Gretzky did. And like you say, wait until Bantam starts, things will change.

So a "Child Prodigy" thread is going to be pretty bare, mods could rename this one "Child Phenom". Having said that, among the '06's TomasM has to be at the top of the list (although I personally think of one and possibly another forward that are getting ahead of him, and there are a couple of defencemen that stand out in NA but hard to make a comparison).

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Unfortunately it looks like they charge to watch the Quebec PeeWee Tournament which starts this week.

Link for those interested.

ETA: I'll be following the 10 yo. Also, there will be an all-girls team for (I believe) the first time.

So the tournament is again in full swing, good to see BWC won there first game, and NSWC with the "10 yo" (now 11) leading their scoring.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
He moved to British Columbia to play in Canada's minor hockey, is learning English, and is training with Pavel Barber.

There is a GoPro video with him on Youtube.

It's going to be interesting to see how good he can be. He's around the same age as my nephew and familial bias aside, it's not even close. :laugh:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He may not be a Gretzky (who is?) or Crosby but he was named the playoff MVP of the Brick last July (doubling the next kid in total and outscoring by over 3 times as much), and would have been tournament MVP/scoring leader if he wasn't down with serious illness at that time.

This kid may not be a "prodigy" but then there isn't one among the '06's. Not BarretD, not DrydenK, not JordanG, not MassimoU, not WilliamM, not BryceM, not ReeceL. ThomasM is clearly really special, and a young phenom.

He definitely had a great final two games (the playoffs as you refer to them) and is one of the better '06's, but also only had 1 goal in 6 round robin games during the Brick. There were several forwards there equally impressive.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOASpvtB7uob0UNfHLD5d-fv8x4rlj2mIDdJ-o0/

Just an instagram clip showing a drill but holy crap that last player you will see, I can see why that 2004 born is hyped up. The last player is the kid being talked about in the latest Hockeynews article. And whose name has started to appear in this prodigy thread. He's MASSIVE lol.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...-too-far-in-chasing-pre-teen-hockey-prospects

Isn't it likely that guys who are big for their age tend to get a bit overrated? I mean someone that has a few inches or pounds on his peers will most likely be stronger, faster, have a better shot, puck protection etc. At that age, not at the pro level obviously.

Even if they play with elders you'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt. "yeah he isn't one of the better point producers but he is two years younger".

I am not saying the kid is overrated, I have no idea. I'm just cautious about rating man-kids. Hard to say what is talent and what is early puberty.

In your videclip the first guy looks like the one with the best skills? Based on a 10 second drill..

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Isn't it likely that guys who are big for their age tend to get a bit overrated? I mean someone that has a few inches or pounds on his peers will most likely be stronger, faster, have a better shot, puck protection etc. At that age, not at the pro level obviously.

Even if they play with elders you'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt. "yeah he isn't one of the better point producers but he is two years younger".

I am not saying the kid is overrated, I have no idea. I'm just cautious about rating man-kids. Hard to say what is talent and what is early puberty.

In your videclip the first guy looks like the one with the best skills? Based on a 10 second drill..

You are 1000% accurate. The man kids get the early hype and a huge majority settle back to the pack once the other kids grow. Seen it a ton. The kids that grew early and have the size advantage dominate the smaller kids but once they all catch up its a different story.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
He definitely had a great final two games (the playoffs as you refer to them) and is one of the better '06's, but also only had 1 goal in 6 round robin games during the Brick. There were several forwards there equally impressive.

He was very ill for the rr games, and only began recovering at the end of the tournament.

But as I mentioned, I think it can change (relatively) quickly as they get older, watching a lot of that Brick team go head to head with themselves at the Surrey tournament I thought there was another forward who was getting better, and another (not selected for Brick team) who was getting as good. No doubt the kids I don't see, some are getting better as well.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOASpvtB7uob0UNfHLD5d-fv8x4rlj2mIDdJ-o0/

Just an instagram clip showing a drill but holy crap that last player you will see, I can see why that 2004 born is hyped up. The last player is the kid being talked about in the latest Hockeynews article. And whose name has started to appear in this prodigy thread. He's MASSIVE lol.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...-too-far-in-chasing-pre-teen-hockey-prospects

Kids at that young age now have skill like in the video its impressive for sure, then as the grow older they focus on throwing huge checks and dumping the puck in, it pisses me off. Meanwhile the Russians continue this type of training well into their teens. The average Russian forward has puckhandling skills equal to the more higher end Canadian players.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
You are 1000% accurate. The man kids get the early hype and a huge majority settle back to the pack once the other kids grow. Seen it a ton. The kids that grew early and have the size advantage dominate the smaller kids but once they all catch up its a different story.

Exactly. Sean Day was one of the more dominant Bantam players in recent memory. His size and speed made him virtually untouchable. The holes in his game were a lot more glaring once he played against physically mature players.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Then how to recognize the "Next Crosby" (Lindros, McDavid...) from "The average ones"?
I think, Lindros was also a big body player, that was physically way in front of the others, wasnt he? Dont know with Crosby.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Then how to recognize the "Next Crosby" (Lindros, McDavid...) from "The average ones"?
I think, Lindros was also a big body player, that was physically way in front of the others, wasnt he? Dont know with Crosby.

Yeah I think that's also something to consider. The second part is sometimes we see skilled guys, but they remain small and don't grow as much so they also tail off in that department as well. You really have to be lucky in both ends.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007

I think you can decipher the kids that just grew early to the kids that are the same size and dominate their peers. Players like Crosby and Gretzky relied on their skill rather than their size. Its similar to watching the LLWS and seeing a 6'1 12 year old throwing 70mph...once everyone catches up in size it aint that hard to throw 70mph. Phenom at 12 and then just a good player when everyone catches up - same thing in hockey. In hockey and especially in the younger ages the size is a huge factor - bigger kids can out muscle, out skate and out shoot just based on pure size. Once everyone is the same size then skill takes over.

J Campion

Dec 5, 2016
For those of you who like to know prospects from very far down the road, here is my current top-5 for best 2003 players out of Québec:

1. Charles-Alexis Legault (D)
Mature beyond his years, Legault is a tall, mobile defenseman that thinks the game at a very high level. Skating is top-notch, very mobile in all directions and great use of first couple of steps. He's dynamic on the rush, and doesn't hesitate to pinch in. He has a solid shot from the point, but can also set-up plays with good passing instincts. His positioning is a bit off at times on defense, but he more than makes up for it with his quick feet, active stick, physical play and anticipation. To me, this player is the best bet to be in Midget AAA next season as an underager.

2. Zachary L'Heureux (C)
Hard-working center with great top-speed and high offensive skills. L'Heureux is very tenacious in all three zones and extremely physical despite not being that big (about 5'5). He's always finishing his checks and even likes to be active after the whistle. Offensively, he's very dangerous, especially off the rush where his hands and speed shine. He attacks defenders one-on-one and is often able to catch them off balance and make move towards the net. He is able to create time and space easily both for himself and for his linemates. He has high hockey sense and great understanding of the game, and I can definitely see his skillset translating very well to the next levels.

3. Dovar Tinling (W)
This kid has pure offensive skills in my opinion. He has high marks in shooting, passing, stickhandling and skating. His skating is very smooth and he reaches top gear very quickly, even with the puck on his stick. His stickhandling is impressive which allows him to rush the puck up the ice with ease and protect it against oncoming defensemen. The thing I like the most about him is his shooting skills; a very quick release on his wrist shot, very accurate and already a lot of power behind it at just 13 years of age. I feel like this kid is going to score a lot of goals in the future. At times, he can be lost in the defensive end, and he needs to improve his intensity on the ice, which leads me to queston whether or not he will be in Midget AAA next season. It could be good for him to stay with his peers and dominate.

4. Joshua Roy (W)
A very smart offensive player with decent wheels and quick mits. I really like Roy's playmaking abilities and feel thats his best biggest strength. He likes having the puck on his stick and is always making passes across the offensive zone that makes you go 'wow'. He doesn't hesitate to go in the dirty areas and his hands allow him to win a lot of puck battles despite not being the biggest/strongest guy out there. He has a very dynamic first couple of steps which allow him to seperate himself from defensemen in tight areas. He is excellent on the breakout and can carry the puck with ease through the neutral zone.

5. James Malatesta (W)
It's hard not to rank this kid in the top-5 with the amount of power he has already in his 5'6 frame. This kid has a very hard and accurate wrist shot which he isnt afraid to use. He is a very physical player that battles hard in the corners and parks his body in front of the net to screen the goalie or to fish for loose pucks. He's involved in all three zones and in fact does great penalty killing work for his team. He has a good skating style and very nice top speed. He puts himself in scoring positions always and is very intense on the forecheck. He works hard in deep and forces a lot of turnovers each game.

You can view individual game reports on those players and more at www.hockeyprospect.com

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
For those of you who like to know prospects from very far down the road, here is my current top-5 for best 2003 players out of Québec:

1. Charles-Alexis Legault (D)
Mature beyond his years, Legault is a tall, mobile defenseman that thinks the game at a very high level. Skating is top-notch, very mobile in all directions and great use of first couple of steps. He's dynamic on the rush, and doesn't hesitate to pinch in. He has a solid shot from the point, but can also set-up plays with good passing instincts. His positioning is a bit off at times on defense, but he more than makes up for it with his quick feet, active stick, physical play and anticipation. To me, this player is the best bet to be in Midget AAA next season as an underager.

2. Zachary L'Heureux (C)
Hard-working center with great top-speed and high offensive skills. L'Heureux is very tenacious in all three zones and extremely physical despite not being that big (about 5'5). He's always finishing his checks and even likes to be active after the whistle. Offensively, he's very dangerous, especially off the rush where his hands and speed shine. He attacks defenders one-on-one and is often able to catch them off balance and make move towards the net. He is able to create time and space easily both for himself and for his linemates. He has high hockey sense and great understanding of the game, and I can definitely see his skillset translating very well to the next levels.

3. Dovar Tinling (W)
This kid has pure offensive skills in my opinion. He has high marks in shooting, passing, stickhandling and skating. His skating is very smooth and he reaches top gear very quickly, even with the puck on his stick. His stickhandling is impressive which allows him to rush the puck up the ice with ease and protect it against oncoming defensemen. The thing I like the most about him is his shooting skills; a very quick release on his wrist shot, very accurate and already a lot of power behind it at just 13 years of age. I feel like this kid is going to score a lot of goals in the future. At times, he can be lost in the defensive end, and he needs to improve his intensity on the ice, which leads me to queston whether or not he will be in Midget AAA next season. It could be good for him to stay with his peers and dominate.

4. Joshua Roy (W)
A very smart offensive player with decent wheels and quick mits. I really like Roy's playmaking abilities and feel thats his best biggest strength. He likes having the puck on his stick and is always making passes across the offensive zone that makes you go 'wow'. He doesn't hesitate to go in the dirty areas and his hands allow him to win a lot of puck battles despite not being the biggest/strongest guy out there. He has a very dynamic first couple of steps which allow him to seperate himself from defensemen in tight areas. He is excellent on the breakout and can carry the puck with ease through the neutral zone.

5. Zachary Malatesta (W)
It's hard not to rank this kid in the top-5 with the amount of power he has already in his 5'6 frame. This kid has a very hard and accurate wrist shot which he isnt afraid to use. He is a very physical player that battles hard in the corners and parks his body in front of the net to screen the goalie or to fish for loose pucks. He's involved in all three zones and in fact does great penalty killing work for his team. He has a good skating style and very nice top speed. He puts himself in scoring positions always and is very intense on the forecheck. He works hard in deep and forces a lot of turnovers each game.

You can view individual game reports on those players and more at www.hockeyprospect.com

Seems like

Hedman
Marchand in center form
Gaudreau
Something similar to Backstrom
faster Stone

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Seems like

Hedman
Marchand in center form
Gaudreau
Something similar to Backstrom
faster Stone

I believe you are referring to #5 being James Malatesta, the kid was injured most of the year but is an absolute bull in a china shop with a clear mean streak when he plays. Pure goal scorer

J Campion

Dec 5, 2016
I believe you are referring to #5 being James Malatesta, the kid was injured most of the year but is an absolute bull in a china shop with a clear mean streak when he plays. Pure goal scorer

James, yes, my bad. I don't know why I wrote Zachary Malatesta. :laugh:

He really is a great player. At least one of the three LSL underagers could be promoted to Midget AAA next year (Legault, Malatesta, Tinling), should be interesting to follow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad