Confirmed Trade: [CHI/TBL] Corey Perry to Chicago for a 2024 7th Round Pick

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Maybe Chicago can sign Joe Thornton and Zdeno Chara too.

If they wanted a veteran former elite player to learn from, then why tell Toews to buzz off?

Because while the young players need veteran leadership - there is a difference between a veteran leader and a legend who "owns the locker room". Foligno can provide veteran leadership but that's quite a bit different than if the Hawks legend Toews were still the lead dog in the room. Toews and Kane would have young players defer to them - Foligno will be respected and listened to but isn't the earned heart and soul of the team. Davidson wants to give the young players room to grow into leadership positions.

Why would he sign there

A bigger paycheck. He made $1M playing for TB last year. The Hawks can give him 3 or 4 times that.

Reactions: Sinbad and horner

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Wait...i just realized this is a pick Chicago actually spent on an impending UFA. Now it makes even less sense to me.
It's a 7th round pick of a team that has by far the longest reserve list in the league. Sure they could have also used the little value it has differently, but they can't just keep collecting more marginal prospects or they'll run out of space.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So, Foligno and Perry are their RS trades at the deadline.

Probably not good news for Tyler Johnson unless one gets hurt.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There's no world anyone else would've given Perry $4M so trading the 7th rounder seems kind of a waste but whatever. Do the Hawks want Perry to mentor Bedard or something ?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There's no world anyone else would've given Perry $4M so trading the 7th rounder seems kind of a waste but whatever. Do the Hawks want Perry to mentor Bedard or something ?

Very weird.

There's no reason to sign these rest of the guys to catch cap floor. They were technically already over the floor, after Hall-trade. Bedard will still sign, and his ELC will count as full amount with possible bonuses against the cap floor. So that's extra ~4M, which still doesn't exist on their payroll.

But for the floor-thing, they could prepare for some other trades for some of their current existing players. That's why you need extra payroll, to keep over the floor if you sell some other expensive contracts.

I understand the veteran mentoring role from all, Hall, Foligno, Perry. But those last two guys aren't worth that much, they are ~2M players at maximum.

Both Perry and Foligno are double overpayments.

pickles555

Jun 5, 2023
Why would he want to re-sign in Chicago at this point in his career?

Because.......when he is living in an old age home, sitting in a wheelchair, watching hockey on TV, and Bedard is lighting up the league, he can point to the TV and say to his senile old friends "Hey, I played with him!!" and they will reply "No, you didn't, quit making up stories"

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Tell me you know nothing about Chicago without telling me you know nothing about Chicago.
It's weird how players who go to Florida and Texas aren't told to worry about getting shot. And by weird, I mean, overtly racist.

politico20230423_pic1.png

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Because.......when he is living in an old age home, sitting in a wheelchair, watching hockey on TV, and Bedard is lighting up the league, he can point to the TV and say to his senile old friends "Hey, I played with him!!" and they will reply "No, you didn't, quit making up stories"
:laugh:

Perry is 38, which is 20 years older than Bedard. This would mean Bedard is playing until he is in his 60s.

Reactions: Laus723

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Wow the Hawks paid Perry to take a pass on playing the season with a Cup contender.

Solid move by Hawks to have a real gritty leader like Perry, and nice to see Perry have a big pay day. Am guessing they will trade him at the TDL to a contender.

I have said it before , Leafs should have signed Perry years ago because he has the kind of toughness and leadership you need post season, not the win nothing Joe Thornton and enforcer types. Him and Staal are big reasons why the Habs dropped the Leafs.

Then he will beat them with his cane.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
I'll give you 4 million reasons.
That would be 3 million reasons why. He would have easily got one maybe two. That extra bump at 38 is a good enough reason stop chasing a cup. For now anyway, the Hawks will likely cash in more than a 7th rounder at the deadline. It occur to me this is the reason the Hawks are willing to pay that kind of money. They are essentially buying a second round pick at the deadline.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
It's weird how players who go to Florida and Texas aren't told to worry about getting shot. And by weird, I mean, overtly racist.

politico20230423_pic1.png
This is a garbage way to look at safety in statistics. The town i live in has roughly 8k people, NYC has over 8 million people. NYC has a murder every single day and its supposed to be one of if not the safest cities in the US. So by this logic if my town had 1 murder in 1000 years its a higher risk than NYC. Thats just dumb.. Any sane person would rather be where murders are not happening every single day if that was the only criteria.. The deep south has 3 of the most rural states in the country and I would guarantee most of the gun deaths occur in the inner cities.

There is a statistic out there that states I believe if you take out the top 5 inner cities where most gun deaths occur the US is one of the safest countries in the world.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Thats just dumb.. Any sane person would rather be where murders are not happening every single day if that was the only criteria..
They aren't. Why do you associate the places the players are around with the places the gun crimes are at?

But what is the graph and what are those region descriptions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad