Confirmed Trade: [CHI/TBL] Corey Perry to Chicago for a 2024 7th Round Pick

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
What a stupid sequence of events by the Hawks GM. :laugh:

Makes zero sense. They got the guy they wanted though, so bravo?

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
They aren't. Why do you associate the places the players are around with the places the gun crimes are at?

But what is the graph and what are those region descriptions?
I didn't associate that. My point is the graph is garbage as most gun crimes are in inner cities and that isn't even debatable. This chart purposely is trying to water down inner city gun crime of some states by using rural areas. The fact they lack the population totals of other states skews the data. Trying to say you are in a high risk area living in rural Mississippi or Alabama is laughable.

Regardless NHL players have zero to worry about as do most Americans that do not live in inner cities. Thats fact.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I didn't associate that. My point is the graph is garbage as most gun crimes are in inner cities and that isn't even debatable. This chart purposely is trying to water down inner city gun crime of some states by using rural areas. The fact they lack the population totals of other states skews the data. Trying to say you are in a high risk area living in rural Mississippi or Alabama is laughable.

Regardless NHL players have zero to worry about as do most Americans that do not live in inner cities. Thats fact.
I'd rather have a lower probability of being killed. That is a per capita rate. Toronto has more murders than any other city in Canada. The chance of randomly getting killed is still ridiculously low, especially if you are above a certain income bracket and live in a safe neighborhood.

Have you actually lived in a big city? Or are you just fear-mongering.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
I'd rather have a lower probability of being killed. That is a per capita rate. Toronto has more murders than any other city in Canada. The chance of randomly getting killed is still ridiculously low, especially if you are above a certain income bracket and live in a safe neighborhood.

Have you actually lived in a big city? Or are you just fear-mongering.
Yea thats not true at all plus whose fear mongering? All I said was that chart was complete garbage. And per capita over large areas compared to much smaller areas is watering down data to get a desired outcome. Sorry but if you are in a place which has a murder every day compared to places that have murders every 50 to 100 years you have a higher chance of being murdered in the place where it happens everyday. Although a very small chance but again if it happens everyday its a chance every day. If you can't understand that maybe an example will help.

Debbie lives in a small town about 100 people and comes home to find Bobby her husband sleeping with her best friend Rita. In a fit of rage she grabs his gun and shoots and kills him. The first murder that tiny town has seen in over 100 years. Your logic now dictates that that tiny town is one of the most dangerous places on earth with 1 murder for every 100 people ignoring the fact that statistically speaking it will be another 100 years before another one. Oh no run for your life.

Any statistical analysis ignoring frequency is horribly skewed and the straying from where the murders are actually happening taints the data. In the US most murders happen in big cities and its not even close. Comparing that to rural areas is comparing apples to hand grenades. Its idiotic.

I also work in NYC, so please tell me about big city life.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yea thats not true at all plus whose fear mongering? All I said was that chart was complete garbage. And per capita over large areas compared to much smaller areas is watering down data to get a desired outcome. Sorry but if you are in a place which has a murder every day compared to places that have murders every 50 to 100 years you have a higher chance of being murdered in the place where it happens everyday. Although a very small chance but again if it happens everyday its a chance every day. If you can't understand that maybe an example will help.

Debbie lives in a small town about 100 people and comes home to find Bobby her husband sleeping with her best friend Rita. In a fit of rage she grabs his gun and shoots and kills him. The first murder that tiny town has seen in over 100 years. Your logic now dictates that that tiny town is one of the most dangerous places on earth with 1 murder for every 100 people ignoring the fact that statistically speaking it will be another 100 years before another one. Oh no run for your life.

Any statistical analysis ignoring frequency is horribly skewed and the straying from where the murders are actually happening taints the data. In the US most murders happen in big cities and its not even close. Comparing that to rural areas is comparing apples to hand grenades. Its idiotic.

I also work in NYC, so please tell me about big city life.
Except that why you look over time. Over 5 to 10 year averages. Yes, one tragic event such as 9/11 (which I don't believe got counted in the murder rate for NYC) that year can create an aberration, similar to a rural town having a school shooting. But, say a high-density area like River North in Chicago has 4 to 5 murders a year, an urban environments murder rate would be dramatically skewed by low-income neighborhoods. No where in the south has an urban density that compares to places like NYC or Chicago, yet on average they have higher murder rates. Its not like the mid-west on that map doesn't have places like St. Louis, East. St Louis, , Cleveland, etc with very high violent crimes. If anything the south is of much lower density, and has less cities but has a much higher murder rate.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
There's no world anyone else would've given Perry $4M so trading the 7th rounder seems kind of a waste but whatever. Do the Hawks want Perry to mentor Bedard or something ?

Maybe Luke Richardson suggested it to Kyle Davidson. Perry played for Montreal when Richardson was an asst. coach there and said he thought Perry was a good leader/mentor to their young players.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Except that why you look over time. Over 5 to 10 year averages. Yes, one tragic event such as 9/11 (which I don't believe got counted in the murder rate for NYC) that year can create an aberration, similar to a rural town having a school shooting. But, say a high-density area like River North in Chicago has 4 to 5 murders a year, an urban environments murder rate would be dramatically skewed by low-income neighborhoods. No where in the south has an urban density that compares to places like NYC or Chicago, yet on average they have higher murder rates. Its not like the mid-west on that map doesn't have places like St. Louis, East. St Louis, , Cleveland, etc with very high violent crimes. If anything the south is of much lower density, and has less cities but has a much higher murder rate.
I think you are making my point for me and we agree but we are saying it different ways. Per capita is horribly misleading unless you include time (which you agree) but also not try to water down the murder rates by including areas that do not have high murder rates. Thats my issue with the graph. 95% of the land area they are saying is a high murder rate isn't. To try and paint it as a whole region is horribly misleading.

For example, Chicago leads the nation in murders almost every year and they are usually about 4% of all murders in the entire US. Would you rather be in a city that doesn't average a murder a day or one that averages 2? New Orleans which has a higher per capita murder rate doesn't average a murder a day but Chicago almost averages 2. In fact Chicago would account for almost 80% of all murders in Louisiana. The difference is Illinois has 10 million people to water that down with to make it look better. 10 million people is more than the total population of 2 states in the "deep south". You hit the nail on the head when you talked about certain neighborhoods in Chicago being safer and having less murders than others. Yes those are the problems not the entire state or a whole region. That's my point. Lets call it for what it is and get granular. Its certain areas (inner cities) and not an entire region.....thats all I am saying.

Anyways this is a hockey forum and while I appreciate the debate I would rather talk about hockey. Thanks for keeping it clean and good luck getting Matthews locked up. May he take a nice team friendly deal and shatter all the Leafs scoring records.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think you are making my point for me and we agree but we are saying it different ways. Per capita is horribly misleading unless you include time (which you agree) but also not try to water down the murder rates by including areas that do not have high murder rates. Thats my issue with the graph. 95% of the land area they are saying is a high murder rate isn't. To try and paint it as a whole region is horribly misleading.

For example, Chicago leads the nation in murders almost every year and they are usually about 4% of all murders in the entire US. Would you rather be in a city that doesn't average a murder a day or one that averages 2? New Orleans which has a higher per capita murder rate doesn't average a murder a day but Chicago almost averages 2. In fact Chicago would account for almost 80% of all murders in Louisiana. The difference is Illinois has 10 million people to water that down with to make it look better. 10 million people is more than the total population of 2 states in the "deep south". You hit the nail on the head when you talked about certain neighborhoods in Chicago being safer and having less murders than others. Yes those are the problems not the entire state or a whole region. That's my point. Lets call it for what it is and get granular. Its certain areas (inner cities) and not an entire region.....thats all I am saying.

Anyways this is a hockey forum and while I appreciate the debate I would rather talk about hockey. Thanks for keeping it clean and good luck getting Matthews locked up. May he take a nice team friendly deal and shatter all the Leafs scoring records.
To be honest. I'd rather relax at Michicgan Mile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad