Contract Termination: [CHI] F Corey Perry contract terminated by the Blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Found this on FB
I’ve always thought this made the most sense since it was mentioned. If you have to choose between a 38 year old his first year on a rebuilding team and placating a guy getting his number retired, it’s a no brainer. Throw in that his daughter is involved with the team in a visible way. Even if her father wasn’t who he is, someone in her position would have sway over said 38 year old in a rebuild especially if he got inappropriate

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
also since its the Hawks, they maybe extra stringent on these offenses as they look to publicly exorcise their past demons. They however are reactive again, their prized franchise player fell victim to their inability to get in front of rumors. Considering their GM is a bright young guy, they are surprisingly too slow and too rigid to anticipate what happened.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
With all the possibilities, I'm convinced that he had some sort of consensual sexual activity with someone that is close to someone important in the organization (Player, staff, management, etc).

Anything non-criminal would have been probably shared by now with the public. But considering there's another person involved in this matter, they're not saying anything to keep that person's identity hidden.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Saw this..maybe just speculation?

"While this claim by the Bruins is yet to be officially confirmed, a recent report from @heatdaddy suggests that Boston has made a move to acquire the veteran forward."
This is dated Nov 28th, and if the Bruins would've claimed Perry, it would've already been public.
That website is also clickbaitier than Deadspin.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
This is a workplace thing. Come On. How many people here got fired for doing something they shouldn't at work? I know people that got fired for burning popcorn in the office kitchen! Yes, that is a fireable offence! You do know that if you sign an NDA and you say something you shouldn't..guess what..you get fired. There's a laundry list of shyt you can do to get fired that is not sexual in nature.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Saw this..maybe just speculation?

"While this claim by the Bruins is yet to be officially confirmed, a recent report from @heatdaddy suggests that Boston has made a move to acquire the veteran forward."

That article was from 2 days ago. Perry was placed on waivers Tuesday and cleared at 2 pm on Wednesday, at which point Chicago terminated his contract.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
This is a workplace thing. Come On. How many people here got fired for doing something they shouldn't at work? I know people that got fired for burning popcorn in the office kitchen! Yes, that is a fireable offence! You do know that if you sign an NDA and you say something you shouldn't..guess what..you get fired. There's a laundry list of shyt you can do to get fired that is not sexual in nature.

I believe that you know people who told you that that's why they were fired.

It's what I'm going to say when HFBoards finally cans my ass.

Curious how many of your popcorn friends were in a union where rights are collectively-bargained.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Sure, but NHL players also have contract security unlike most ordinary people. Because if you could fire players on any small offence, we wouldn't have bad contracts in our salary cap system wouldn't we?

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

A player like this will not get fired for stealing pencils or burning popcorn, use some common sense. Also if it was something like a fight with another staff member, making racist remarks, or even peeing on the ice for example, it would be more in the open. After all, the fans would want to know why you're terminating his contract given that they support the team and deserve to know.

By the tone coming out from the organization, this seems like a more serious conduct that rocked the ship, and it involved other people, yet nothing illegal was done apparently. That tells me enough about what most likely happened.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I believe that you know people who told you that that's why they were fired.

It's what I'm going to say when HFBoards finally cans my ass.

Curious how many of your popcorn friends were in a union where rights are collectively-bargained.

I personally don't like unions.. Unions usually don't exist in the IT industry....if they do, I don't know them. It takes months, if not more than a year to get rid of the smell and you have to repaint etc etc. It's a big deal. One of them was a new recruit that worked in my office.....boss was pissed. Got rid of him fast.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Whoever told you they got fired for “burning popcorn at work” is being far from forthcoming.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yeah I'm pretty sure Perry didn't get his $4M contract terminated because he was stealing paperclips

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I personally don't like unions.. Unions usually don't exist in the IT industry....if they do, I don't know them. It takes months, if not more than a year to get rid of the smell and you have to repaint etc etc. It's a big deal. One of them was a new recruit that worked in my office.....boss was pissed. Got rid of him fast.
No one asked for your opinion on unions.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

There is no way in hell that could be the primary reason for someone being fired.

And if it was, that would be the dumbest workplace environment of all time.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
And here I was thinking that c suite executives were the untouchable be-all and end-all highest power of any corporation! Nope! It's Karen, from HR, who can fire literally anyone, up to CEO, with no explanation given to literally anyone at all, and therefore no required reason at all. What a case study in the poor eating the rich, eh?
Oh the person in question was undoubtedly fired by the CEO in consultation with HR and the lawyers (who are the ones that really run the show when it comes to this stuff).

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
A player like this will not get fired for stealing pencils or burning popcorn, use some common sense. Also if it was something like a fight with another staff member, making racist remarks, or even peeing on the ice for example, it would be more in the open. After all, the fans would want to know why you're terminating his contract given that they support the team and deserve to know.

By the tone coming out from the organization, this seems like a more serious conduct that rocked the ship, and it involved other people, yet nothing illegal was done apparently. That tells me enough about what most likely happened.

Whatever it is, it's a sensitive topic. Maybe it wasn't burnt popcorn, but I could see a rookie dinner gone wrong. Perry decides to spice up the party. and does something he should not have and to let it out would cause more harm. IF this was another Kyle Beech incident, it would be out in the open.

To me, I don't think the offence was bad. I think this was an organizational flex to show "hey, we are doing right by our fans and we are nipping this in the bud before it gets any worse" Corey Perry exiting, to me, is what I would consider a pro-active move by the team and organization and sending a message..."The Hawks are taking employment seriously". Their name is being dragged through the mud (rightly so) because previously, they did NOT act.

To me, this was more of a "set the precedence" than the severity of what Corey Perry actually did.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You don't sign a guy for 8m and then fire him 2 months later for burning popcorn in the kitchen though

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005

It's not really relevant how you feel about unions. What is relevant is that Corey Perry is part of one.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Whatever it is, it's a sensitive topic. Maybe it wasn't burnt popcorn, but I could see a rookie dinner gone wrong. Perry decides to spice up the party. and does something he should not have and to let it out would cause more harm. IF this was another Kyle Beech incident, it would be out in the open.

To me, I don't think the offence was bad. I think this was an organizational flex to show "hey, we are doing right by our fans and we are nipping this in the bud before it gets any worse" Corey Perry exiting, to me, is what I would consider a pro-active move by the team and organization and sending a message..."The Hawks are taking employment seriously". Their name is being dragged through the mud (rightly so) because previously, they did NOT act.

To me, this was more of a "set the precedence" than the severity of what Corey Perry actually did.
I’m glad you came to this conclusion based on your own made up version of what you think happened. Also appreciate you providing your opinion on unions. I’m glad you have decided to bring your comments to this thread. They were well thought out.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005

Well, thank God that you don't think the offense was bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad