Contract Termination: [CHI] F Corey Perry contract terminated by the Blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Scoring 9 points in 16 games for a 38 years old is not bad, do you think he is open to come to the canucks for cheap?
In this day and age if another team were to sign him it will be on several conditions:
* it wasn't something to cause an organization to not touch him with a ten foot pole (i.e. if it's sexual harassment he is 100% done as a NHL player)
* he is public with what happened
* he has honestly apologized and made amends before signing any deal (and not the fake apology like that guy the Bruins signed)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
During the intermission of the Canes-Flyers game Emily Kaplan said that from a source close to the situation the following occurred:
* Perry travelled with the team to Columbus
*There was an incident with a team employee
*Team employee immediately reported the incident
*Perry was immediately pulled from the expected lineup for the game (note in Columbus they played 11F-7D. The games before and after the standard 12-6)

The way this has been treated by the Hawks is pretty standard corporate America. Say the termination was a violation of policy with no detail and no identification of victim(s) if they exist. Heck it was the way the company I worked for dismissed an upper executive pegged to be the next CEO. He was terminated with cause effective immediately due to policy violation. That's it. That was the explanation internally and to Wall Street.

Given that this is going by the corporate HR playbook it is likely only a handful of things to lead to immediate termination - workplace violence, sexual harassment, under the influence at work (this doesn't seem to be the case) or moral/ethical violation that reflects poorly on the organization (this is normally something that is public. If it's not public it's not reflecting on the organization....we have no reports thus far of anything like this. Though police reports can be delayed for some time)

Great post. Adding to that, Blackhawks GM Davidson said it wasn't criminal and a workplace matter.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
During the intermission of the Canes-Flyers game Emily Kaplan said that from a source close to the situation the following occurred:
* Perry travelled with the team to Columbus
*There was an incident with a team employee
*Team employee immediately reported the incident
*Perry was immediately pulled from the expected lineup for the game (note in Columbus they played 11F-7D. The games before and after the standard 12-6)

The way this has been treated by the Hawks is pretty standard corporate America. Say the termination was a violation of policy with no detail and no identification of victim(s) if they exist. Heck it was the way the company I worked for dismissed an upper executive pegged to be the next CEO. He was terminated with cause effective immediately due to policy violation. That's it. That was the explanation internally and to Wall Street.

Given that this is going by the corporate HR playbook it is likely only a handful of things to lead to immediate termination - workplace violence, sexual harassment, under the influence at work (this doesn't seem to be the case) or moral/ethical violation that reflects poorly on the organization (this is normally something that is public. If it's not public it's not reflecting on the organization....we have no reports thus far of anything like this. Though police reports can be delayed for some time)
And here I was thinking that c suite executives were the untouchable be-all and end-all highest power of any corporation! Nope! It's Karen, from HR, who can fire literally anyone, up to CEO, with no explanation given to literally anyone at all, and therefore no required reason at all. What a case study in the poor eating the rich, eh?

• Haha
Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Part of the story sure. You don't get a contract terminated for that though.
You do if you are so drunk you piss yourself or throw up everywhere, or try to fight sponsors, or make a scene with a microphone. You'd 100% get terminated for any of those.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
You do if you are so drunk you piss yourself or throw up everywhere, or try to fight sponsors, or make a scene with a microphone. You'd 100% get terminated for any of those.
Fighting with a sponsor I can see, as long as it is a very important sponsor. The other reasons you give is just not viable in a hockey organization. Regular offices, of course.

The other offenses you are saying would be a punishment of like going to AHL for a conditioning stint where you are there and play like one minute a game but still travel by bus. Or just a flat out suspension for a few weeks.

Honestly, if this is just because he got drunk and made stupid comments, he'll be on another team this year before the deadline. Sexual harassment still doesn't seem like it would be enough...i mean slava voynov beat his wife and still played a few games after before doing it again and finally being shipped out.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Found this on FB

Attachments

• IMG_1846.png
    IMG_1846.png
    769.4 KB · Views: 3

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
You can, I believe some contracts have morality clauses. I’ve never seen a standard contract but what from some of the insiders are saying. Those are a thing. Probably something new from the newest CBA.

There has always been a morality clause in the NHL standard player contract. Atleast since 2006, but I'd imagine it's always been there.

Reactions: francis246

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Fighting with a sponsor I can see, as long as it is a very important sponsor. The other reasons you give is just not viable in a hockey organization. Regular offices, of course.

The other offenses you are saying would be a punishment of like going to AHL for a conditioning stint where you are there and play like one minute a game but still travel by bus. Or just a flat out suspension for a few weeks.

Honestly, if this is just because he got drunk and made stupid comments, he'll be on another team this year before the deadline. Sexual harassment still doesn't seem like it would be enough...i mean slava voynov beat his wife and still played a few games after before doing it again and finally being shipped out.
If you fight with a sponsor in front of a bunch of other sponsors, while being drunk and loud, what you did isn't going to be a secret.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Part of the story sure. You don't get a contract terminated for that though.

Its cute The Hawks all of a sudden have standards....
Having to read these two posts within a scroll of each other on the same page is a micronism of why I hate HFBoards sometimes and why I typically value the overall opinion of this board so little.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Its cute The Hawks all of a sudden have standards....

The “Hawks” are just a company/organization that employs human beings like everyone else. Those human beings that were there in the past were the ones without standards. The ones that deserve the criticism. Names like John McDonough, Stan Bowman, coach Q, Rocky Wirtz(former owner now passed away).

When are people going to start directing the hate towards those who deserve it? Instead of blaming the city of Chicago or the actual indianhead logo itself?

Bottom line is the Hawks cleaned house and hired new people. Those people aren’t going to make the same awful mistakes, you would hope, moving forward. The way they’ve handled the Perry situation shows already how serious they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad