Confirmed with Link: [CHI/DAL] Sharp & Johns traded to Stars for Daley & Garbutt Part 2

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The Fallout of the Patrick Sharp Trade in Chicago

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-fallout-of-the-patrick-sharp-trade-in-chicago/

Found this article interesting and curious as to what your thoughts are.

He basically read this board and then reposted things most of us have said. He even copied the assumption that Stan had a lot of other options from BWC.

This traded has ended up being ******. It was a miss but lets not act like Johns is a world beater. Yes he could have helped.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
THW has become a joke. They've been losing credibility hard for a couple of years now, and the opinion is completely independent of this article. They're awful.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He basically read this board and then reposted things most of us have said. He even copied the assumption that Stan had a lot of other options from BWC.

This traded has ended up being ******. It was a miss but lets not act like Johns is a world beater. Yes he could have helped.

agree.

when looking at things in hindsight it is always easy to point blame and say this failed or sucked. the trade at the time and especially now we all knew sucked. I don't know how much Stan's hands were tied, but obviously teams didn't want to deal and losing Johns though not catastrophic is a huge blow considering how nice he would look on that 3rd pair right now.

losing Paliotta and Johns as throw-ins is something I have a hard time swallowing considering they were packaged with proven NHLers in Sharp and Saad. I have been one of Bowman's biggest supporters but those two trades could end up haunting us for a long time though the Blue Jacket deal overall was a better trade that got us AA and Ladd in the end.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Congrats to Daley for the Stanley Cup win and the recognition of the first hand-off.

The most successful member of the 2016 Blackhawks.

Good to see the guy succeed after standing up for himself when he knew he was getting a raw deal. The world rewards go-getters.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Congrats to Daley for the Stanley Cup win and the recognition of the first hand-off.

The most successful member of the 2016 Blackhawks.

Good to see the guy succeed after standing up for himself when he knew he was getting a raw deal. The world rewards go-getters.

Wait, weren't you just bashing that trade a few months ago and how the Hawks relied on the eye test a bit too much re: Daley? I mean, it was always going to work out for Pittsburgh. They traded Scuderi. Any deal including Scuderi going the other way and you will win that.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Wait, weren't you just bashing that trade a few months ago and how the Hawks relied on the eye test a bit too much re: Daley? I mean, it was always going to work out for Pittsburgh. They traded Scuderi. Any deal including Scuderi going the other way and you will win that.

Daley isn't a great player. The Blackhawks shouldnt have traded for him.

But he was misused, stood up for himself, found his way on to a tram that used him effectively and hid his weaknesses, and succeeded.

Hard not to applaud people who bet on themselves.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Why are you so salty about Daley being traded. Daley being on the Hawks would not have made them a cup team

Salty that we traded a speedy PMD on a defensive unit where slow, lumbering oafs got preferential ice-time? Cant imagine.

There's no question the Blackhawks lack of speed on their back end was a huge issue all season long. And they traded a guy that could in that area of need for a cripple because the coach was obstinate.

I like seeing backbone rewarded and stupidity punished.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Salty that we traded a speedy PMD on a defensive unit where slow, lumbering oafs got preferential ice-time? Cant imagine.

There's no question the Blackhawks lack of speed on their back end was a huge issue all season long. And they traded a guy that could in that area of need for a cripple because the coach was obstinate.

The problem with your logic is that you are forgetting that the Hawks were not a great possession team this year (you have said this multiple times yourself) and when you pair that with Daley's inability to play in the defensive zone his issues as a Hawk are much worse than if he was a Pen. Daley's inabilities as a defensive player were covered by the Penguin's forwards ability to maintain possession of the puck and suppress shots. The just did not do that this year.

While Q did not give him a fair shake don't even try to say he was good here or would have been better because he would not have been. Q requires D men to play D (Seabrook is a different story) and that is not Daley's game.

This trade was ****. Daley was not good and is still not good. Q should have done a better job coaching. Bowman should have tried something different. F minues for everyone.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Daley isn't a great player. The Blackhawks shouldnt have traded for him.

But he was misused, stood up for himself, found his way on to a tram that used him effectively and hid his weaknesses, and succeeded.

Hard not to applaud people who bet on themselves.
The stats disagree

Or because Daley sucks at playing defense.

It would be really fun trying to clear Bickell's 4M and Daley's 3.3M cap hits this offseason.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Yes absolutely. .Q fell down big time in coaching because he tolerated tge regular season as ha bong no meaning. ..it was all about flipping switches for showtime in. Playoffs...except this season thay mantra failed and tge Country Club acceptance of certain "stars" not being on mission in regular season led to terribly slack performances by these loafers who coukd not exert themselves no flip any switches when Q thought they would...culprits here were big fat-cat cheque guys and leaders ......#19 and #7 in.particular and even #2 who was nowhere near Norris level required if we had any chance to go far and get to a Cup Final again..With the 3 biggies underperformanxe all season when tgey played tolerated by Country Club Q he might have compensated by at least tutoring the younger d-men into bigger roles like Sullivan did to the younger PITT d-men who did learn and go on mission ..but instead Q treated his support d-men like he could not trust them and so he instead relied on his big 3 vet d-men to flip the switch again in playoffs ..only this time they could not do out alone .And so the entire team 9n mission feeling never laterializes like it did in PITT..so instead wr got the famous short Sumner and tired excuse bit do not worry they will summon reserves and flip the switch for playoffs except that this time it Failed! So Q bears responsibility for tolerating vet slackers and not pushing them harder and for not tutoring his younger players well enough to contribute better.b

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I agree speed was a problem, but passing was a much larger one, particularly from the blueline group as a whole. That had nothing to do with coaching.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yes absolutely. .Q fell down big time in coaching because he tolerated tge regular season as ha bong no meaning. ..it was all about flipping switches for showtime in. Playoffs...except this season thay mantra failed and tge Country Club acceptance of certain "stars" not being on mission in regular season led to terribly slack performances by these loafers who coukd not exert themselves no flip any switches when Q thought they would...culprits here were big fat-cat cheque guys and leaders ......#19 and #7 in.particular and even #2 who was nowhere near Norris level required if we had any chance to go far and get to a Cup Final again..With the 3 biggies underperformanxe all season when tgey played tolerated by Country Club Q he might have compensated by at least tutoring the younger d-men into bigger roles like Sullivan did to the younger PITT d-men who did learn and go on mission ..but instead Q treated his support d-men like he could not trust them and so he instead relied on his big 3 vet d-men to flip the switch again in playoffs ..only this time they could not do out alone .And so the entire team 9n mission feeling never laterializes like it did in PITT..so instead wr got the famous short Sumner and tired excuse bit do not worry they will summon reserves and flip the switch for playoffs except that this time it Failed! So Q bears responsibility for tolerating vet slackers and not pushing them harder and for not tutoring his younger players well enough to contribute better.b

I don't expect any of that to change either. Q has proven to me that he has difficulty handling young players and has little tolerance to let them develop. Once again next season it will be up to Toews/Kane and core to turn this around and make Q look good.

I predict that next season will be Q's last season as Hawk's head coach. I won't be at all surprised if he "promotes himself" before the 2016-2017 RS concludes.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I don't expect any of that to change either. Q has proven to me that he has difficulty handling young players and has little tolerance to let them develop. Once again next season it will be up to Toews/Kane and core to turn this around and make Q look good.

I predict that next season will be Q's last season as Hawk's head coach. I won't be at all surprised if he "promotes himself" before the 2016-2017 RS concludes.

I think he has two more series, but I agree with the point.

We're reaching the point where Stan can no longer afford to give up picks and prospects in pursuit of NHL veterans simply to make Q more comfortable and ensure he doesn't actually have to do any coaching up of young players.

I think two more early exits by virtue of a team that failed to get the most of its youth and prospects will be his undoing.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I personally think this is why getting rid of Kitchen and replacing him with an assistant that was much better at handling younger players.

I am not a Kitchen fan and I think he is garbage at handling our D.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I personally think this is why getting rid of Kitchen and replacing him with an assistant that was much better at handling younger players.

I am not a Kitchen fan and I think he is garbage at handling our D.

Our coaching staff as a whole is garbage. Tactically it's one of the worst staffs out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad