Confirmed with Link: [CHI/DAL] Sharp & Johns traded to Stars for Daley & Garbutt Part 2

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Still can't wait to get this "D" away from the roster.
He is bad at playing D and is no fit for the Hawks or the System/Coach.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Link to an article that says he was offered much of anything at the draft? I'll wait..

The better offer never existed. Most analyst said that the hope was that there was a better offer during the draft and it did not happen. BWC can't seem to understand this.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
There was a rumor at the draft that Dallas offered 2 2nds for Sharp and Stan declined. There's no way of knowing if the rumor was true though.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
The rumor was he thought he could get a 1st from either montreal or Washington and both were rumored discussions about sharp but both declined to give up the 1st. he though one of them would come up to his offer. when you removed them you were left with no one that was willing to take on 6 mil in salary without giving something back and a sweetner in Johns. Brutal. We got more for Steeg (gave up a 4th apprx) then for sharp. This off season was brutal. Hope stan learned when you are the STC take the 1st offer that is 60/40 because the next one is 80/20.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The rumor was he thought he could get a 1st from either montreal or Washington and both were rumored discussions about sharp but both declined to give up the 1st. he though one of them would come up to his offer. when you removed them you were left with no one that was willing to take on 6 mil in salary without giving something back and a sweetner in Johns. Brutal. We got more for Steeg (gave up a 4th apprx) then for sharp. This off season was brutal. Hope stan learned when you are the STC take the 1st offer that is 60/40 because the next one is 80/20.

2.2 vs 5.9

There's no acknowledgement those offers were real, they could of been as real as Daley for Pummel & a 2nd or Saad for Galechuyck and Beaulieu. Maybe they were something Stan offered but it doesn't indicate the otherside actually at any point was willing to go in on that and take that cap full deal.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Is this a topic to talk about a past trade or most people's favorite Adele song? Bowman was holding out for a first or someone offered two seconds or rumor has it he's the one I'm leaving you for yadda yadda yadda.

It was a **** trade, but let's not break out the crystal ball and assume that Bowman was holding out for a better deal for too long or that he turned down better deals in the process. Maybe that did happen, but we don't have an iota of proof for anything of the sort.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Is this a topic to talk about a past trade or most people's favorite Adele song? Bowman was holding out for a first or someone offered two seconds or rumor has it he's the one I'm leaving you for yadda yadda yadda.

It was a **** trade, but let's not break out the crystal ball and assume that Bowman was holding out for a better deal for too long or that he turned down better deals in the process. Maybe that did happen, but we don't have an iota of proof for anything of the sort.

The only thing you can be sure of is, Once teams take another player in trade that eats up there cap space they have less ability to take another player, once teams start using capspace to sign free agents the amount of money they have left for taking players in trade decreases. Once you have less teams that have the ability or interest in trading for a player your leverage decreases. When you leverage decrease your probability of getting a fair return decreases. GM for Dummies 101.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Rumours rumours rumours. I can count on one hand when a rumour actually came true with this organization.

So if you're not going to believe the rumors that surrounded this deal then why ask someone to provide proof that better offers existed? There's not some press release on proposed trades so rumors is all your going to get.

We got basically nothing for a 1st line winger on a reasonable contract, maybe every GM in the league is stupid/hates the Blackhawks or maybe one GM overplayed his hand this time and got burned. I know which one I think is more likely.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So if you're not going to believe the rumors that surrounded this deal then why ask someone to provide proof that better offers existed? There's not some press release on proposed trades so rumors is all your going to get.

We got basically nothing for a 1st line winger on a reasonable contract, maybe every GM in the league is stupid/hates the Blackhawks or maybe one GM overplayed his hand this time and got burned. I know which one I think is more likely.

I ask for proof, because people are acting like rumours are proof, which they aren't.

Sharp was a 3rd line W last season, not a 1st line LW. And 6mil for a 3rd line W is not in anyway shape or form a reasonable contract. I think every GM in the league wanted to either A) see what was available in free agency, or B) wanted to trade for a player who was cheaper, younger, and had a better season last year.

Maybe he was offered a slightly better offer from another team, I don't think he was ever offered just picks, because not many teams in the league could take on 6mil without sending salary back. Not to mention, Sharp had a NTC. It's not like we could have sent him to EDM for the better offer if he didn't want to go. We know nothing about what happened behind the scenes. So why ***** about it?

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
I ask for proof, because people are acting like rumours are proof, which they aren't.

Sharp was a 3rd line W last season, not a 1st line LW. And 6mil for a 3rd line W is not in anyway shape or form a reasonable contract. I think every GM in the league wanted to either A) see what was available in free agency, or B) wanted to trade for a player who was cheaper, younger, and had a better season last year.

Maybe he was offered a slightly better offer from another team, I don't think he was ever offered just picks, because not many teams in the league could take on 6mil without sending salary back. Not to mention, Sharp had a NTC. It's not like we could have sent him to EDM for the better offer if he didn't want to go. We know nothing about what happened behind the scenes. So why ***** about it?

Even in a down year he was our 2nd best LW last year and was more productive than "top 6ers" Richards and Versteeg so calling him a 3rd liner is disingenuous to he value.

Yes, its very possible that teams wouldn't take him without sending some salary back but we ended up taking that salary with Dallas and not getting any picks/prospects back and adding a very good prospect (though its possible Johns doesn't have as much value as we thought at the time). I think Stan is a very good GM but this trade was a disaster and there's no way he couldn't have gotten a much better deal earlier in the offseason.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Even in a down year he was our 2nd best LW last year and was more productive than "top 6ers" Richards and Versteeg so calling him a 3rd liner is disingenuous to he value.

Yes, its very possible that teams wouldn't take him without sending some salary back but we ended up taking that salary with Dallas and not getting any picks/prospects back and adding a very good prospect (though its possible Johns doesn't have as much value as we thought at the time). I think Stan is a very good GM but this trade was a disaster and there's no way he couldn't have gotten a much better deal earlier in the offseason.

Again, you have no proof of this, whatsoever.

His value is what we traded him for, nothing really.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
a) his season wasn't that bad (52 point pace on the 3rd line, good POs)
b) teams don't just look at the previous season

He also had a bad post-season in 2014 that was the begging of questioning his path going downhill.

It's nothing but speculation based on wishful thinking. Your estimation of Sharps value doesn't add up to anyone elses, it doesn't mean it's wrong, but there are more unknowns and some people are far more comfortable not assuming the claim was certainly set one way.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
a) his season wasn't that bad (52 point pace on the 3rd line, good POs)
b) teams don't just look at the previous season

Most of his points were the first half of the season. He was terrible in the 2nd half. This is a huge red flag for an aging winger. He was good in the playoffs. Teams don't just look at the previous season but they put the most weight in the last season. This is a what have you done for me lately league. His value was not that high and I don't understand why people can't understand that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad