Confirmed Trade: [CHI/BOS] Taylor Hall and Nick Foligno (UFA rights) for Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Disappointed to see Hall go. He was fun to watch in Boston. Played a full 200ft game, played whatever role was asked and actually showed up in the playoffs this past year when the rest of our stars didn't. If Chicago keeps him, he'll be a good mentor to their younger guys and can help Bedard deal with the pressure of being a #1OA franchise savior pick.
I am glad someone recognizes that he played a complete game , yes I am one of those guys who was hoping to see a little more ,maybe more of wanting to see him succeed here . Now they will sign Bertuzzi who is good player but no where near the complete player Hall is.............we will see how this turns out in time........

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I may have been getting it mixed up. The one example I could recall was Tomas Tatar from DET to VGK, but I think that was an NTC that hadn't kicked in yet, which Vegas chose not to honor.

That was a different rule where teams could void a NTC that wasn't yet in effect. Although that rule too has been removed.

Historically nearly every team which had the opportunity to void a NTC in that fashion did so.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Assuming Hall plays in Chicago this year of the 13 1st overall selections since Hall was drafted
He has played with 7 Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, McDavid, Hischier, Dahlin, Hughes and Bedard
He has not played with 6 MacKinnon, Ekblad, Matthews, Lafreniere, Power and Slafkovsky

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Like I said Hall is a pretty individual player, he hasn't really increased any of his teammates production in recent years. Had plenty of talent to work with Boston, if anything I predict they'll play on different lines, Hall isn't a top line player right now.
Coyle, Frederic and Foligno had pretty good seasons playing with him.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
What do you mean by 50-60 projects? As a rookie or as a veteran? As a rookie 60 points would be pretty great still. If they meant 60 as a veteran then they were comparing that crack.
I think even as a rookie, 50-60 would be a disappointment. As a prospect, he's on the same level as Crosby and McDavid. Both players were top 10 players in the league their rookie season. Crosby had 102 points and McDavid was over a ppg in a lower scoring era. Bedard should at least crack a ppg if he's the generational player people think he is.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So wait...isn't Foligno a UFA? What does Chicago want with his rights? Trying to sign him as a "veteran mentor" for Bedard and whoever else? Realize they're not a very attractive destination and want to get a head start on convincing him it'll be fun? :laugh:

Have to imagine Hall gets flipped somewhere right? Or are they also going to keep him as someone to show Bedard the ropes with the expectations as a former #1 Overall Pick?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So is Adam Larsson worth more than Taylor Hall now?

I think he generally has been. But definitely at this point. Teams would be lining up around the block for Larsson, on that contract especially. Hall's value appears to be, "cap dump". Despite the fact that like much of his career, he's still reasonably productive. Has still bounced around and found it hard to find lucrative long-term contracts anyway. Definitely one of those types of players that a lot of fans seem to value a lot more highly than NHL GMs seem to.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Assuming Hall plays in Chicago this year of the 13 1st overall selections since Hall was drafted
He has played with 7 Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, McDavid, Hischier, Dahlin, Hughes and Bedard
He has not played with 6 MacKinnon, Ekblad, Matthews, Lafreniere, Power and Slafkovsky
The real question here is has he played with any of them in the world championships lol

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
So wait...isn't Foligno a UFA? What does Chicago want with his rights? Trying to sign him as a "veteran mentor" for Bedard and whoever else? Realize they're not a very attractive destination and want to get a head start on convincing him it'll be fun? :laugh:

Have to imagine Hall gets flipped somewhere right? Or are they also going to keep him as someone to show Bedard the ropes with the expectations as a former #1 Overall Pick?
It's probably a cap space thing for the Bruins to do something on Draft day.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's probably a cap space thing for the Bruins to do something on Draft day.

I was trying to figure out if there was some reason that would be the case...but in terms of cap space, the league year is basically over in terms of actual salary payments right? In the same sense payroll ends with the regular season and doesn't carry through the playoffs? And in terms of tagging room or whatever they switched the terminology to, an expiring UFA shouldn't really impact anything either.

This was my first thought though. That there must be some deep cap nuance somehow related to Boston's cap nightmare and bonus overages that this helps ease. But couldn't really come up with what specifically it'd do for them...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad