Champions League Game Day 2.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Dortmund hasn’t had their easy three points from Cyprus yet. Spurs have yet to play Madrid. Ridiculous to call it this early.

Liverpool dropping points today puts them in an arguably worse position, but Liverpool hasn’t played Maribor yet. After each team plays each other you might be able to make an assessment but not now.

And the got 6 points to catch up - almost sounds like you have forgotten that.

With 3 points at home against APOEL Spurs realistically only need to get one point from Madrid or Dortmund. Might not even need that. I agree it is not a given though. Certainly not.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Blatant time wasting goes on because it is clearly quite effective especially during stoppage time. The referee almost never accurately factors the wasted time.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Defended well enough to keep Liverpool to 1 goal, I guess

Spartak’s “defending” had little to do with that. They played horrible, Liverpool was incredibly wasteful. Spartak did minimal to deter them; they didn’t make any good defensive plays. It was not a good performance from either team. Heroic is the wrong word.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Blatant time wasting goes on because it is clearly quite effective especially during stoppage time. The referee almost never accurately factors the wasted time.
Drives me mad every time... You make a sub or waste time in the stoppage time? No worries, if it's +3, ref will blow the whistle at 93:00.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Spartak’s “defending” had little to do with that. They played horrible, Liverpool was incredibly wasteful. Spartak did minimal to deter them; they didn’t make any good defensive plays. It was not a good performance from either team. Heroic is the wrong word.

At the end of the game it's a draw, that's all that matters

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Drives me mad every time... You make a sub or waste time in the stoppage time? No worries, if it's +3, ref will blow the whistle at 93:00.

Agreed. There are games where I have no emotional investment in the outcome and then stoppage time arrives and all of a sudden you have players falling all over the pitch. And then the referee blows the final whistle without any care for the blatant time wasting and I go crazy yelling at my TV. :laugh:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It sounds like Mendy destroyed his knee and is out for the season.

Guardiola was talking about getting a left back in January.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Terrible news for the french NT. After Dembele and Pogba out for months, third shoe-in starter out. And this one could miss the WC.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That was what I expected when I saw the lineup.

People are going to blame Buerki like they always do, but he had a few saves that kept it from being like 5 or 6. Not his fault his players left him stranded against the greatest goal scorer in the world, and he got beat near post. That was also offside, so not like it should've counted.

Once again, Dortmund got screwed by the refs. Two handballs in the box not called, Ronaldo's goal offside. With some different calls, that could've been a very different result.

The defense was like expected, really bad. Piszczek was once again awful, Sokratis the same, those two really gotta be part time players, at best. Toprak was the best back line player, but thats not saying much. He wasn't that good either. Toljan was taken advantage of by the best team in the world while playing out of position, not his fault, although he was really bad. Sahin was bad, although not any worse than just bad. Not the main culprit for this loss, but Weigl is a much better option. This shouldn't even be a discussion, but under Bosz it is. Same with Castro vs. Weigl. I didn't think Castro was as bad as some say, he had a nice cross for Auba's goal, but I am starting to see more and more the slowing down of the game that he does. I didn't see it initially. He's a helpful player, he just has a terrible penchant for trying to always slow everything down. He must be a squad player, he can no longer start big games. Dahoud should've started. Philipp was invisible, I said this was going to happen. This isn't his style of match, and he had no business starting. Yarmolenko was slightly better, he was making an effort, but wasn't very effective.

Only two who played well I thought other than Buerki were Goetze and Auba. Watch us put out a better lineup against Augsburg than Real Madrid. Bosz really screwed this game up. He could've rotated against Gladbach, like I suggested. And if Bartra was fit enough to sit on the bench the last two matches, why didn't he play?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Dortmund played Barca today? Lol

Don't know much about Buerki but players have beaten him 3 times on the short side in 2 games. One is bad 2 is abysmal and 3is just unacceptable.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
just watched the SPurs replay...obviously struggled with 5 regulars and Rose/Lamela out...gutsy performance to get 3 points

Kane is on a mission...he stated he wanted to be known with Messi and CR7 and is showing he means it.

Part of me was hoping for a Dort/RM draw...but this result works...6 points clear thru 2 matches is solid

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench

You accidentally cherry-picked two games—sure, they were both Champions' League Fixtures—but they weren't back-to-back and you only picked them because those were the games you knew Burki let in short-side goals. You didn't include all the other games Dortmund played in the Bundesliga, where he didn't let in short-side goals. It's a normal enough thing to do mentally, but statistically it leads to really bad conclusions instead of random sampling. And as someone who's watched all of Dortmund's games this year, I think Burki's been pretty good.

Also, Ronaldo's goal was likely going in on any keeper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad