Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] F Jonathan Huberdeau signs extension with Flames (8 years, $10.5M AAV)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Maybe Flames fans meant he'd get 100 pts in 2 combined years?
At this point that would be an improvement...

In all seriousness I was hoping for 25+ goals and 80+ points. Mainly because he had a 7 year track record of doing that. 115 was an outlier. But he had been a consistent 25 goal 80 point guy. I also expected him to be bad defensively. It's why I didn't like the contract at all.

I liked the initial trade if we were flipping Huberdeau and Weegar at the TDL. That would have given us a minimum of 3 1st round picks for Tkachuk. Now we've moved Tkachuk for an untradeable contract and Weegar who might also be without value at his current hit. Schwindt is a nothing burger.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I have to think sutter is out if they don't make the playoffs. Treveling didn't invest in guys like weeger and Huberdeau and trade for toffoli, sign Kadri etc...to underperform and not maximize their offensive potential ...this style of play doesn't seem to jive with that

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Huberdeau signing this extension off a career year was a massive win for him. If he waited until UFA would have lost out on millions considering his production so far this year.

It's also why I wasn't upset trading him, because I knew it would be an overpay for a player about to turn 30.

Said at the time Weegar would be a bigger loss for the Panthers. Still believe that.

It was an overpay by Florida, but Tkachuk has been better than expected. And I was a big fan before he was traded to Florida.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Bond

May 10, 2012
I was expecting him to be ppg for three to four seasons at least but the offense isn’t gelling and it’s on pace to be the worst contract in the league next year. Him, Kadri, and Markstrom can be tank commanders I guess. Flames are actually in a pretty decent spot to tear down if they don’t commit to Lindholm and Hanifin next year.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Huberdeau didnt forget how to play hockey in a few months hes still an elite winger i dont follow the flames but maybe its just the style they play under Sutter

Partly that for sure but it can't all be on Sutter. If this guy is supposed to be elite he shouldn't be reliant on others or system dependent. And it's not like he looks ok, he looks horrible.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Good argument for analytics not having much relevance.
Fancy stats are much more tailored to something like baseball which is incredibly episodic in its events. Each at-bat (even each pitch) and ball put into play are unique data points that have a clearly driven start and stop. Something like hockey... a poorly timed shift change would result in no ding to a guy's fancy stats, but could potentially be damning to everyone else on the ice.

Most analytical hockey stats have a point solely in large data points where you eventually will get a material amount of similar situations where you can gauge what an individual's impact is. But honestly, it requires a lot of data to have any relevance.

Most of the people who quote these analytical stats don't understand slightly what they're saying and therefore take absurd conclusions from the data and extrapolate them. A guy on the Wings board was absolutely notorious for doing this with Andreas Athanasiou... like if we just gave him 20 minutes a night, he'd keep up his high scoring rate and my god, we're just misusing him!

You make the very point you're trying to refute with this data. If he was so good and so misused... Why are Edmonton, LA, and Chicago all misusing him? I mean, he's getting 16:07 again and playing with players on the same level as he had in 18-19 (because he was on the second line with guys like Nielsen and not the big gun line with Larkin or Bertuzzi or Mantha... except for the PP, which he didn't score much on that year)

He's a good, one-dimensional player who kind of has a hard cap on his ability because he never developed any tool beyond that one skill. He caps at around that TOI because he hurts you defenisvely even as he helps you offensively. That is precisely the point. Analytics tell you one thing and the eye test/hockey logic tell you another.
Analytics actually always showed that AA is bad defensively.

And they also showed that Tkachuk is an excellent all-around player, while Huberdeau is a bit overrated because he didn't provide that much value besides pure offense and points. And now he is not producing close to the level to be worth his next contract. Which isn't bad luck, actually.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
The fact that he's wilting under the pressure of playing for a coach who wants to play playoff style hockey, combined with his 1 goal and 5 points in 2 rounds of playoffs last year, does not bode well. At 30 when his new contract kicks in, even if he rebounds is this a player Flames fans will trust to take them to the promise land?

I honestly don't like harping on other fanbase's players and hope Huberdeau turns it around and would not be surprised to see him do so, but even if he does I'll continue to be skeptical of having a one-dimensional winger being the team's highest paid player taking up that much of the cap.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
He enjoyed non playoff hockey in Florida

Sutter doesn’t do that stuff
He had his best seasons under Q, except one, though. And the Panthers at least looked the best in the playoffs under Q but fell to eventual champs Tampa Bay. Not so sure I buy that Sutter is a better coach than Q. Last season Brunette continued Q’s systems but couldn’t make the necessary adjustments.

I do find it interesting that Johnny Hockey could flourish under Sutter where Huby has struggled, but maybe that had more to do with Tkachuk being there.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He had his best seasons under Q, except one, though. And the Panthers at least looked the best in the playoffs under Q but fell to eventual champs Tampa Bay. Not so sure I buy that Sutter is a better coach than Q. Last season Brunette continued Q’s systems but couldn’t make the necessary adjustments.

I do find it interesting that Johnny Hockey could flourish under Sutter where Huby has struggled, but maybe that had more to do with Tkachuk being there.
Not saying who is the better coach.
Gaudreau had success without Tkachuk also. They were together for only one year. Yes, he needs competent line mates to succeed. They all do.

I don’t know what Huberdeau’s problem is but he looks terrible now. The only assumption in Calgary is it doesn’t fit Sutter’s system but that’s a guess.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I am not concerned about Huberdeau. An 'off' season for him so far. Should the team make the play-offs players that have had a poor season have been known to excel.

I think too many fans set expectations that can prove unreasonable as they undervalue the effects of a fist trade may have on a player. They can become rudderless and it takes time to re-establish their life in every respect.

Factor in new conference, new division, new coach, new systems, and maybe your production drops off. Then you get down on yourself to perform to the level your salary warrants.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Not saying who is the better coach.
Gaudreau had success without Tkachuk also. They were together for only one year. Yes, he needs competent line mates to succeed. They all do.

I don’t know what Huberdeau’s problem is but he looks terrible now. The only assumption in Calgary is it doesn’t fit Sutter’s system but that’s a guess.
Was more commenting on the playoff type style.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I am not concerned about Huberdeau. An 'off' season for him so far. Should the team make the play-offs players that have had a poor season have been known to excel.

I think too many fans set expectations that can prove unreasonable as they undervalue the effects of a fist trade may have on a player. They can become rudderless and it takes time to re-establish their life in every respect.

Factor in new conference, new division, new coach, new systems, and maybe your production drops off. Then you get down on yourself to perform to the level your salary warrants.

You're not concerned about the absent chemistry with your 1C or 2Cs?

The Flames are struggling to make it in a weaker conference and arguably has a realistic 3 yr window including this year before big changes and/or declining in older players.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00