Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] F Jonathan Huberdeau signs extension with Flames (8 years, $10.5M AAV)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Was more commenting on the playoff type style.
Ok…huberdeau and Florida don’t do well in the playoffs. Sutter is fixing that

Maybe converting him into Trevor Lewis in the process lmfao

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I am not concerned about Huberdeau. An 'off' season for him so far. Should the team make the play-offs players that have had a poor season have been known to excel.

I think too many fans set expectations that can prove unreasonable as they undervalue the effects of a fist trade may have on a player. They can become rudderless and it takes time to re-establish their life in every respect.

Factor in new conference, new division, new coach, new systems, and maybe your production drops off. Then you get down on yourself to perform to the level your salary warrants.
That Florida system is going to inflate offensive numbers. Calgary should have been suspicious when Sam Bennett scored 34 goals in his first 81 games with Florida.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
That Florida system is going to inflate offensive numbers. Calgary should have been suspicious when Sam Bennett scored 34 goals in his first 81 games with Florida.
Suspicious of what exactly? That his points were from career years? I would still take Huberdeau, Weegar, and Schwindt in the Tkachuk deal.

Now I may not have paid him as much going forward, but at this point it is all conjecture that he won't live up to his contract.

You're not concerned about the absent chemistry with your 1C or 2Cs?

The Flames are struggling to make it in a weaker conference and arguably has a realistic 3 yr window including this year before big changes and/or declining in older players.
Not really.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
With this trajectory and pace accounted for, what kind of numbers will he be posting through years 1-8 at $10.5 million dollars if Sutter remains?

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
In a perfect world we would have D Sutter coaching the defence and Bruce Boudreau coaching the offense. That would also be a Jekyll & Hyde media interview.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
With this trajectory and pace accounted for, what kind of numbers will he be posting through years 1-8 at $10.5 million dollars if Sutter remains?
lol Sutter's not sticking around for 8 years. His current extension is for 2 more years. If the team continues to struggle he'll either be fired next year, or more likely given how cheap Flames ownership is, he'll finish the contract out and be "let go".

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Fire Sutter this summer and bring in Bruce Boudreau. I bet Huberdeau regains his form under Bruce. Huberdeau will never match his 115pts from last season though. But there’s no reason he should be under a PPG.

Reactions: Kimota

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
They gave him 10.5m.... Ten point five million dollars........
The crazy thing is most HFers thought it was a good deal at the time. Love Huby and always will, but he was always going to be overpaid based on his demands, then they go and overpay him even more than he was gonna get overpaid. I'm hoping for Huby and the Flames that he turns it around eventually. Otherwise that contract is gonna be so brutal for so long. He had a good game tonight.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Fire Sutter this summer and bring in Bruce Boudreau. I bet Huberdeau regains his form under Bruce. Huberdeau will never match his 115pts from last season though. But there’s no reason he should be under a PPG.

Yea Sutter seems like the kind of coach that estinguish offense literally. Huberdeau seems like the kind player that wants more freedom on offense, not be bogged down in too much structure. If I'm the Flames, that 10.5 million is more important than Sutter.

Send him to Montreal for our 1st rd pick back. I’m sure he might find some chemistry with their young skilled guys. At this point I want him no where near this team.

I would do that if you keep some of the $$$.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Most fans aside from Flames fans knew that Huberdeau had a career season and wasn't going to repeat. I don't think anyone thought he'd be this bad though. Never a good idea to sign a new player to a mega contract without knowing how he'll perform with his new team first.
On the opposite side, maybe this will be a warning to players to not sign a deal off a trade before ever playing a game. I understand why they do it ($$), but never made logical sense to me

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

I would despise it as a Devils fan and it probably won't happen since he's a HC in waiting but poaching Brunette somehow from NJD would be the best thing for Calgary and reviving Hubedreau

Can Flames trade him before start of new deal? Even for nil, just to get away from that contract

Their ownership would never admit to such a failure, lol

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Where are all the people who said Florida was fleeced??
The trade wasn't the problem and it's useless to look at it in a vacuum.

It's how Treliving managed those assets and the rest of his team that's been the actual problem.

Premature, massive contract extensions, more impulsive and chaotic UFA signings and then letting a stubborn coach that's incompatible with many of these players run his mouth has significantly set back the Flames.

Reactions: belair and MM917

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
The crazy thing is most HFers thought it was a good deal at the time. Love Huby and always will, but he was always going to be overpaid based on his demands, then they go and overpay him even more than he was gonna get overpaid. I'm hoping for Huby and the Flames that he turns it around eventually. Otherwise that contract is gonna be so brutal for so long. He had a good game tonight.

That demand was the very reason he was traded, we told you, you didn't believe, Calgary. was screwed with this trade and you have not even yet seen 'Weegar post season show'

It's how Treliving managed those assets and the rest of his team that's been the actual problem.

Premature, massive contract extensions, more impulsive and chaotic UFA signings and then letting a stubborn coach that's incompatible with many of these players run his mouth has significantly set back the Flames.

The extension was the part of the trade, you can't separate them for each other. Zito would have keep Huberdeau if he was not asking ridiculous contract, it was well known fact at the time.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Zito would have keep Huberdeau if he was not asking ridiculous contract, it was well known fact at the time.

When Zito didn't engage in contract extension talks then it's quite clear that Huby wasn't part of his plans. So no need for stating fiction as facts.

That goal last night was very Huby-esque goal: no skill and poor judgement on his part as his first instinct in every situation is to make a pass even when he's right in front the net and no one is open to receive a pass.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

MM917

Aug 18, 2022

100%

I didn't like the deal because I wanted the Flames to go down the rebuild path at that point, but with our ownership unwilling to do that if you are trying to compete the deal was as good as you could hope for in that kind of return.

The problem was overpaying him right away, then doubling down with the terrible Kadri contract so that you were really handcuffed. Even if all you get is a 1st (I think you could get more) at this deadline for Hubredeau if he is only willing to sign an overpriced deal, the trade is still ok, not great but decent. But giving him that stupid contract really takes away any positive you had from the deal even if it shouldn't really be included in the analysis of the deal alone.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad