CFL 2023

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I'm still somewhat curious if Cornelius could look better with some better play calling like we had after JJ took over. I'm all in on Ford for now, but feel for Cornelius as he didn't get any chance with the new coordinator (yet).
Jones still loves Corn. Wouldn’t shock me if he’s still on the roster when camp breaks, and we burn another 450k that we can’t afford.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Would probably be a better use of money if we signed some big rookie QB for league minimum to run the 1 yard sneaks.
A real positive in the off season is that the EE's list of free agents isn't 3 pages long so it might mean some continuity and a chance for the team to gel. No matter what the talent level is the degree of turnover has hurt the club.

I do think, however that the EE can't carry as many "star receivers" as last season especially when you look at the receiving stats.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There was never going to be anyone that was going to buy anything from the Eskimos for changing their name.

TSN and the lack of blackouts has done as much to empty stadiums as anything.
One factor that hasn't been mentioned is how worse of an experience it is now taking public transit of any kind to events. Whether it be LRT or bus the first thing you have to check before sitting is that some bum didn't piss all over the seat. Really I'd often rather stand. Very real probability as well that anything from Scabies to lice to whatever could be transferred on the bus. Of course Covid and respiratory stuff.

Part of the not going to events is also pandemic hangover related. A lot of people for that reason stopped wanting to go on crowded busses to crowded places. The association of large groups of people at some point became a perceived risk. The same kind of thing happened after the 1917 pandemic. Took awhile for people to be comfortable in crowds again.

City also cutback on 2-3 park and ride locations. That probably costs a couple K in attendance as well. Used to get 1K just from MWTC park and ride alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I guess I worded that poorly. They Eskimos were not going to gain any customers from people that objected to their name by changing their name. They only lost customers by changing the name.
Understood it perfectly the first time you said it. You're correct as well. The people that said they would spend 1K on swag on them and their families haven't even been posting about the team, let alone going to games and spending deep. Those people just switched on to the latest faux issue of the day.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
None of you guessed the helmet. I should have said “one of the most famous helmets in Eskimos history.” There is someone here who knows the helmet because he’s held it.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Tough as nails and always came to play.

With the exception of Kepley, how many guys were ever as consistent at the LB position?
Kepley would be the gold standard for sure. Anyone that can put displaced fingers back into their sockets and then play the next set of downs is ok by me. I disliked him as an Eskimo, but loved him as a player, if that makes sense.

I’d like to nominate Wayne Shaw as runner up. Also Mr. Consistency at the linebacker spot, just in a different era. Oh, and a genuine nice person and so knowledgeable about the CFL, amongst other topics. I mean, he owned a bookstore in retirement for petes sake). Up until a few years ago he was a regular on the chat boards at Riderfans.com. It was always a pleasure to have him involved in a discussion.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Kepley would be the gold standard for sure. Anyone that can put displaced fingers back into their sockets and then play the next set of downs is ok by me. I disliked him as an Eskimo, but loved him as a player, if that makes sense.

I’d like to nominate Wayne Shaw as runner up. Also Mr. Consistency at the linebacker spot, just in a different era. Oh, and a genuine nice person and so knowledgeable about the CFL, amongst other topics. I mean, he owned a bookstore in retirement for petes sake). Up until a few years ago he was a regular on the chat boards at Riderfans.com. It was always a pleasure to have him involved in a discussion.
I was thinking in terms of Eskimo players but yes Shaw was a legendary player.

For the Esks, Kepley and Gass were certainly 2 of the best. I'm sure the rest of the board here has some other suggestions at that LB spot.

In recent years Morgan is the only one who meets any kind of EE standard. The cupboard is really bare on defense and I don't see it being much better in 2024. Hope I'm wrong on this.

Reactions: bellagiobob

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

For the Esks, Kepley and Gass were certainly 2 of the best. I'm sure the rest of the board here has some other suggestions at that LB spot.

In recent years Morgan is the only one who meets any kind of EE standard. The cupboard is really bare on defense and I don't see it being much better in 2024. Hope I'm wrong on this.
Like.

Green Xero

I just don't care
Aug 2, 2023
Hell
Tough as nails and always came to play.

With the exception of Kepley, how many guys were ever as consistent at the LB position?
When I was younger and just starting to play football Willie Pless and Larry Wruck were two of my favorites. They were the reason I wanted to be a LB. My big fat a$$ was the reason I ended up a lineman. Lol..

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Willi Pless was amazing and probably the quickest linebacker we've ever had. Super nice guy too, has a cabin out near us and came out to Trestle a couple years ago and potted a hole in one.

Danny Bass was good as well.

And lastly, trivia for you. Who's nickname was "Thumper?" (and here everyone goes running to Google, lol)

Reactions: bellagiobob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Willi Pless was amazing and probably the quickest linebacker we've ever had. Super nice guy too, has a cabin out near us and came out to Trestle a couple years ago and potted a hole in one.

And lastly, trivia for you. Who's nickname was "Thumper?" (and here everyone goes running to Google, lol)
No more trivia until we get the answer to the helmet lol

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Yup, Pless and Bass should be added to the list of great EE linebackers. Maybe Signor Mobley too I think he played the SAM position? Also add Carl Crenell (only 1 season with the Esks but great CFL career) and Dave Gasser.

And how fortunate for the Eskimos to have had great Canadian linebackers like Larry Wruck, Tom Towns and Dale Potter.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I think Thumper was Shaw's nickname.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

That would be Wayne Harris. No Google required. ;)

Reactions: Stoneman89

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I had no idea Lelacheur was so delusional.
Build it and they will come..lol ...Lelacheur's future vison...The Autostade.
autostade_postcard.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad