CFL 2023

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
“Who the elks still value.” Geez
Jones has made it pretty clear that he doesn't really trust Ford and really only played him due to his boy Cornelius absolutely shitting the bed over and over again. He made the change gritting his teeth and biting his lip. Even at the end of the year he had nothing but accolades for Cornelius, never a bad word. It's one (of many) reasons I wished we had moved on from Jones. Don't trust his managerial decision making at all.

Reactions: guymez

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Is that a Jones thing releasing guys just before a bonus kicks in or is that normal in the CFL?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I hear you.
If the team hasnt given up on TC 'yet' (at that price point) then that says a lot about the competency of this current Management group.
His salary, based on it's position as one of most lucrative half dozen in the entire league, is the equivalent of him making 12M+ in the NHL. And yet we have posters that love this player yet think that Connor Brown is an overpaid plug. Lol.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
His salary, based on it's position as one of most lucrative half dozen in the entire league, is the equivalent of him making 12M+ in the NHL. And yet we have posters that love this player yet think that Connor Brown is is an overpaid plug. Lol.
Perfectly stated. :nod:

Reactions: bellagiobob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is that a Jones thing releasing guys just before a bonus kicks in or is that normal in the CFL?
Pretty normal in football in general. Heck Denver is sitting Wilson so that he doesn't get hurt so they can get out of some of his salary.

No real loyalty in football from either side.

The issue for the Elks are they are a poorly run club right now that no one is exactly lining up to play for. So now the higher end guys are either going to want more up front money or more salary in general. Heck you might start paying mid level guys more too

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I hear you.
If the team hasnt given up on TC 'yet' (at that price point) then that says a lot about the competency of this current Management group.

I'm glad you include bolded part. I honestly think we haven't seen the end of TC in the CFL and he may even go on to something good. The issue is that it's a lot of money to throw away on someone who may not even be your number 3 this year.

If we want a real safety net for Tre, which would be wise, you may be looking at a more costly backup anyways. The first 100K is already committed, so the question is whether there is someone out there that's a more sure things that can be had for similar or less than what would be saved by releasing him. I don't know that there is, and an MBT signing may just scare Ford away from committing to future years (assuming he isn't already on the fast train out of here)

If we know we aren't getting anyone else at big money at QB it isn't impossible to swallow knowing Ford will still be cheap this year, but ultimately letting him go puts the team in a much better position to build up other parts of the roster while capitalizing on a cheap Ford will be.

Will be interesting to see which way it goes.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I'm glad you include bolded part. I honestly think we haven't seen the end of TC in the CFL and he may even go on to something good. The issue is that it's a lot of money to throw away on someone who may not even be your number 3 this year.

If we want a real safety net for Tre, which would be wise, you may be looking at a more costly backup anyways. The first 100K is already committed, so the question is whether there is someone out there that's a more sure things that can be had for similar or less than what would be saved by releasing him. I don't know that there is, and an MBT signing may just scare Ford away from committing to future years (assuming he isn't already on the fast train out of here)

If we know we aren't getting anyone else at big money at QB it isn't impossible to swallow knowing Ford will still be cheap this year, but ultimately letting him go puts the team in a much better position to build up other parts of the roster while capitalizing on a cheap Ford will be.

This is probably the lowest point of QB talent and name recognition in league history, so it wouldn’t shock me either if TC gets a contract as a backup somewhere in the league. Not just a CFL problem, teams like the Jets can’t seem to even find one average QB to lead them, let alone a good one. But if we do sign MBT then it likely means the end for Ford here, as can’t see him reupping after all the non confidence votes he keeps receiving from Jones.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This is probably the lowest point of QB talent and name recognition in league history, so it wouldn’t shock me either if TC gets a contract as a backup somewhere in the league. Not just a CFL problem, teams like the Jets can’t seem to even find one average QB to lead them, let alone a good one. But if we do sign MBT then it likely means the end for Ford here, as can’t see him reupping after all the non confidence votes he keeps receiving from Jones.

The thing that gives me a little hope about the future of QB in the leagues is that a lot of new guys got to experience starting games last year so there are at least some options out there for backups that aren't completely raw and some of them could challenge for starts as well.

22 QBs in total started at least one game last year, 19 of them at least 2 starts. So spread that out every team should in theory have the opportunity to find at least 2 QBs that have started 2 or more games in the CFL especially if MBT returns.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Fair points.
I think that the trick with Ford is finding a backup that isnt necessarily going to push him out of being a starter. I agree with you about MBT...I think he would do just that.

Regarding TC...are you suggesting that he has starting potential?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I said this last year it doesn’t matter if the qbs are shit, pay them accordingly. Not let’s pay 400k because a guy may be able to throw a ball. And fyi jets know shit

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I am not shocked about Dunbar. He was relatively disappointing and was overshadowed by the emergence of Cobb at the receiver spot.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Fair points.
I think that the trick with Ford is finding a backup that isnt necessarily going to push him out of being a starter. I agree with you about MBT...I think he would do just that.

Regarding TC...are you suggesting that he has starting potential?

He needs to be rebuilt essentially, but I could see him starting at least a couple games in the next season or two and if it finally clicks for him he could make a career of it.

I wouldn't want to rely on him as a 6-12 games starter next year though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He needs to be rebuilt essentially, but I could see him starting at least a couple games in the next season or two and if it finally clicks for him he could make a career of it.

I wouldn't want to rely on him as a 6-12 games starter next year though.
Basically what you are describing here is a backup QB.

I think that he is a fine backup...just not at $400.000.

Reactions: Stoneman89 and bone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad