CFL 2023

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He basically did say that. Commonwealth has been a great facility for a long time. Now, in current-day CFL terms, it's a big dinosaur. The Lions have made BC Place work better for them and, for the foreseeable future, CW will have to do the same here in Edmonton.

Now, can we please turn our attention to a once-mighty franchise that is pretty close to being on life-support? Criticism re. how things got to this stage is merited but actually figuring out how to keep the "patient" from slipping away is essential right now.
Exactly! Not silly talk about building a new stadium!:D He needs to stick to the issues that are bringing the franchise down and not introduce other distractions.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We’re ready to Mace you! 'I want this f*cking job': Corey Mace went all-in to become Riders head coach - 3DownNation

But …
The new pair agreed on one major topic: quarterback. Mace believes Trevor Harris is a guy Saskatchewan can win with as QB1. When Mace was asked about what went wrong in Riderville last year, he talked about what could have been done differently and ended by saying: “Let’s be honest, you lost a future Hall of Fame quarterback.”
Oh dear......

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Great first impressions of the new Riders coach. Impressive. Love that they went with a Canadian. Big jump as a young rookie head coach but really appreciate his passion. Don't really share this enthusiasm about the Riders GM but we shall see.

Here's the Cory Mace media conference for anyone interested:

Reactions: bellagiobob

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Elks locker rooms sale on right now. Signed game jerseys and helmets available.
No bids on any of the Cornelius jerseys...lol...
I already have a closet full of swag, EE, Oilers and other stuff. I have about 18 jerseys and two game-worn EE helmets, including perhaps the most famous helmet in team history.

My other helmet was purchased at a dressing-room sale for $550. I was bidding in the online auction and made a bid seconds before closing but some guy sniped me; he paid over $2,000. I went to the dressing-room sale and they had a shelf full of the same helmets for the $550. I have a Fred Stamps jersey framed and more than once someone has asked me about the Stampeders’ name on an Eskimos jersey. 😂 I also have an Aaron Rodgers Packers jersey to sell if anyone wants it. I hate the guy.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
We’re ready to Mace you! 'I want this f*cking job': Corey Mace went all-in to become Riders head coach - 3DownNation

But …
The new pair agreed on one major topic: quarterback. Mace believes Trevor Harris is a guy Saskatchewan can win with as QB1. When Mace was asked about what went wrong in Riderville last year, he talked about what could have been done differently and ended by saying: “Let’s be honest, you lost a future Hall of Fame quarterback.”

That bolded part makes me very excited about this hire for Saskatchewan (as a fan of the Edmonton Elks).

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I already have a closet full of swag, EE, Oilers and other stuff. I have about 18 jerseys and two game-worn EE helmets, including perhaps the most famous helmet in team history.

My other helmet was purchased at a dressing-room sale for $550. I was bidding in the online auction and made a bid seconds before closing but some guy sniped me; he paid over $2,000. I went to the dressing-room sale and they had a shelf full of the same helmets for the $550. I have a Fred Stamps jersey framed and more than once someone has asked me about the Stampeders’ name on an Eskimos jersey. 😂 I also have an Aaron Rodgers Packers jersey to sell if anyone wants it. I hate the guy.
That sounds like an awesome collection. Always wanted a signed team helmet but couldn't justify the cost.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Basically, we were spoiled during the Kimball/Campbell leadership years and its been a downhill run ever since.

The EE are still looking for that Hufnagel type person who can instill confidence in the whole system but I don't think such a person is out there or would be willing to come to Edmonton.

I saw Hufnagel at the Stamp's store last Christmas and asked if he would be willing to come join the Elks and he started laughing.
Well when Jones was hired, he did say he wanted to quit chasing the NFL and be someone like Hufnagel lol.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
True. I knew that as I typed it. I was looking for cheap laughs sadly.
Poor Cornelius haha. Least he got paid I guess.

Trouble is the team is so bad overall few QB's would win here. With them scrambling for their lives seems like they have a handful of better games and then it erodes.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Poor Cornelius haha. Least he got paid I guess.

Trouble is the team is so bad overall few QB's would win here. With them scrambling for their lives seems like they have a handful of better games and then it erodes.
I'm still somewhat curious if Cornelius could look better with some better play calling like we had after JJ took over. I'm all in on Ford for now, but feel for Cornelius as he didn't get any chance with the new coordinator (yet).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm still somewhat curious if Cornelius could look better with some better play calling like we had after JJ took over. I'm all in on Ford for now, but feel for Cornelius as he didn't get any chance with the new coordinator (yet).
For sure. But Ford had a better OC and some improvements on Oline. Still, the way the season concluded is the Elks losing several games in a row. Just that the team is so bad its hard for anything but a superstar QB effort to win. Ford managed that 4X but even he wasn't being enough to make the difference anymore. I think cumulatively we wear down QB's here. Football is won on 3 sides of the ball in anycase and we're always losing special teams and often losing the defensive battle, and usually losing the line of scrimmage.

Corn should get a chance for another club.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
For sure. But Ford had a better OC and some improvements on Oline. Still, the way the season concluded is the Elks losing several games in a row. Just that the team is so bad its hard for anything but a superstar QB effort to win. Ford managed that 4X but even he wasn't being enough to make the difference anymore. I think cumulatively we wear down QB's here. Football is won on 3 sides of the ball in anycase and we're always losing special teams and often losing the defensive battle, and usually losing the line of scrimmage.

Corn should get a chance for another club.
The Fajardo Effect perhaps?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Fajardo Effect perhaps?
One can't equate the resume. But it occurs to me the Fajardo had been granted a lot of nine lives in this league. For some players they need years before their game starts to come together.

You know even Tom Wilkinson, he looked awful in BC playing on the wrong type of club before he hit the Eskimos.

For some reason, and maybe I'm wrong, I think Corn could still be decent somewhere in the league.

I've seen a lot worse QB's than Corn get a lot of chances in the league. But I've not seen a worse contract.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
One can't equate the resume. But it occurs to me the Fajardo had been granted a lot of nine lives in this league. For some players they need years before their game starts to come together.

You know even Tom Wilkinson, he looked awful in BC playing on the wrong type of club before he hit the Eskimos.

For some reason, and maybe I'm wrong, I think Corn could still be decent somewhere in the league.

I've seen a lot worse QB's than Corn get a lot of chances in the league. But I've not seen a worse contract.
Linebackers, receivers and definitely linemen, both sides, are like NHL forwards. You can drop them in right out of college and they can play.

QBs though are definitely more like goalies and even Dman to an extent . They need to be nurtured and brought along more methodically.

Corn in the right environment with the right mentor, still could have a reasonable CFL career. JJ as OC maybe can help figure it out.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Can I make a guess that this is the one that Ed Hervey smoked a ref with at Labour Day 2003?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

I’d prefer a signed Jason Mass Headset (the one with a broken off microphone). ;)

• Haha
Reactions: joestevens29

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
According to the Edmonton Sun the stabilization fund has declined from $10M to $7M over the last year so at this rate there are 2 years left before "Save our Elks" becomes the new story.

I wonder what happened to all the fans who said they were going to buy tickets and $2,000.00 of merchandise once the "Elks" were in place? They don't seem to have materialized. Their hypocrisy has been cringeworthy at best. It appears that the Messiah is not coming.

Notice how even Gerry seems to have changed his tune now that the end might be in sight.

Well, 2 years to do "something" but unless there is a change at the very top I don't see how this model can carry forward.

How sad to see the level to which the club has sunk.
There was never going to be anyone that was going to buy anything from the Eskimos for changing their name.

TSN and the lack of blackouts has done as much to empty stadiums as anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad