CFL 2023

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Glad this didn't drag on like most CFL ownership changes. The timing was bad and probably cost the Als in free agency, but no tears will be shed for Maciocia.

Reactions: MoontoScott

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The longer term financial model for the CFL might involve 9 billionaires owning the league. Accordingly there are many billionaires in Canada and lots of them have big egos.

The super rich owner is the blueprint in the NFL and perhaps this is the way Canada has to go too. If the average salary in the CFL was to double (not a big deal when you consider the current average $65K Macdonald's money) then it might help the very high turnover rate.

The CFL will never compete directly with the NFL but could attract some longer term players and a sense of identity for each team--like it once was.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Same shit, different day.

“Athletes, read your contracts thoroughly. It’s a shame what goes on in this business.”

Have no idea what the actual story is here, but obviously there are guys that need to understand things better

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
“Athletes, read your contracts thoroughly. It’s a shame what goes on in this business.”

Have no idea what the actual story is here, but obviously there are guys that need to understand things better
He probably gambled his 25k loan and requested for his signing bonus, and needed it now to pay the loan sharks, or he'd be popped or something. Isn't that how most athletes do business when they don't read the fine print?

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
This has felt like a long off-season. Probably because I'm not too optimistic about the Elks this year again. I do think they'll win their first game at home!

Reactions: MoontoScott

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

I guess he should have followed his own advice and made certain of what contract he was signing?

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG

While the player has the responsibility to read his contract , I can see Jones being an absolute prick in regards to any player concerns. Look at the roster he turned over last year. Big mistake making him the GM of the team . As a coach , he's bad enough. He can say the situation is above his pay grade and that it's the policy of the President and CFO but I'm betting he's injecting his own d-baggery in this.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Interesting that apparently Jones has four one year contracts, as opposed to a four year deal.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Hey, maybe the CFL will get some fans back if they aren’t the worst officiated league in North America. I for one will jump back on the bandwagon if so!

• Haha
Reactions: Ritchie Valens

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

In reading all the articles about various teams and their struggles to fill the stands it is frankly annoying to me that it seems to be blamed on the economy, pricing, etc across the board. That just ain't it. Prices for the Oilers and Flames have escalated since 2015. No issues selling out those arenas with a massive secondary market. Prices for concerts lately have been insane as well, no problems selling those either. We aren't talking about $5,000 season seats for the CFL here, pricing is already at a basement level that is affordable for almost everyone.

The difference? People actually care about those sports/events enough to find room in their budgets to attend. Honestly, I feel that even if you gave away "Elks" tickets for $0 I'm not sure if you would get 30,000. The team is nowhere on the radar of anyone and nobody cares. Lack of winning gets blamed in Edmonton for declining interest, but that's not the case in Calgary as they have been annual contenders for at least 10 years. At this point I feel the league is basically at Edmonton Stingers/Prospects level where people go for something to do if they're bored, but have no real care about the game.

I posed this question to my Dad (a long term huge CFL fan) the other day - If you walked up to 100 random people in Edmonton and asked them "name one player on the Elks" how many do you think would be able to give you an answer? I'm not sure that any more than 10 would be able to get it. 10 years ago you probably would have had 50% at least that would know somebody. Even me, who watches the team, answered my own question with "Cornelius," but had to pause to think of another one.

This is a league wide problem that honestly might be insurmountable to overcome. This isn't an economic issue, this is a "nobody follows the league or gives a rip anymore" issue.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad