Player Discussion: Centre depth not pulling their weight?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Contract value shouldn't factor in that heavily. More over Laine will likely make more then him next season anyhow but Maurice will probably still play him less then Wheeler.

Given how Maurice has treated our expensive dmen (Kuli in the pb) I doubt there is much pressure from management to play players based on contract value. I think Maurice plays Wheeler because that is what he wants to do.

I'm pretty sure it does.
If we pay Laine big $'s next season, he'll be playing big minutes and expected to perform. If he doesn't, they'll need to deal with it but expectations would be that $10M (?) players play a lot.
Kuli is an exception and it may have something to do with coming back from injury. Meanwhile, Buff plays big minutes and makes big $'s.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm pretty sure it does.
If we pay Laine big $'s next season, he'll be playing big minutes and expected to perform. If he doesn't, they'll need to deal with it but expectations would be that $10M (?) players play a lot.
Kuli is an exception and it may have something to do with coming back from injury. Meanwhile, Buff plays big minutes and makes big $'s.

Buff performs though so he is value for them. Myers has a 5.5 million cap hit and plays on the bottom pairing. Perrault and his 4 million has spent significant time on the second pairing. Little and his contract played on the 4th line down the stretch last year. I don't think Moe has an issue pushing contracts down the lineup.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Buff performs though so he is value for them. Myers has a 5.5 million cap hit and plays on the bottom pairing. Perrault and his 4 million has spent significant time on the second pairing. Little and his contract played on the 4th line down the stretch last year. I don't think Moe has an issue pushing contracts down the lineup.

If we're looking at the mid tear contracts, I agree with you completely.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I heard it's not just the amount, which is around 5.5 to 6, but the term and the fact he wants to play center. May not like Babcock etc.

Oh that’s pretty reasonable then, I heard a completely different number. Rumors are rumors :D

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think the problem is at centre at all. Scheifele is among the best, not elite yet, but not far off. Little you can trust to make smart plays, and win draws. Lowry is a beast. I think you have a good 2/3 between him and Little. I think wingers have been an issue. When Tanev scores more than Ehlers, that's not star power. Laine was struggling 5 on 5. Connor has been the best winger to start. Perreault is declining. I have hopes of a Connor-Little-Roslovic line that plays the right way. Will boost secondary production. I think the team lost veteran leadership, and the young players haven't taken over a leadership role, other than Morrissey, and Connor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad