Player Discussion: Centre depth not pulling their weight?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I have to disagree. Little has been ok with his line but in Finland Little line was totally invisible. Lowry line generated way more offense. Scheif and Wheels have been a bit off whole season.
I think the second game in Finland I would agree with you.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Any chance players are worn out from playoff run? This is first time we have had to deal with extended playoff run and is new for many of the fans and players. They are use to an extra month and a half of rest.

LA seemed to always underperform for first portion if season.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I think the second game in Finland I would agree with you.
Can we agree that it takes too little to be the best line 5v5. Every line should pump up their game. It is more like which line has been the best of the bad ones. Without solid PP PoMo would be pretty soon able to search a new club to extend his record.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Can we agree that it takes too little to be the best line 5v5. Every line should pump up their game. It is more like which line has been the best of the bad ones. Without solid PP PoMo would be pretty soon able to search a new club to extend his record.

Yes, I can agree with this as well.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't see our center depth as all that great.

Scheifele is easily a top 10 Center in the game right now. But after him we have two 3C's and a 4C. Our center depth is no where near where it was during our playoff run. Lowry looks to have taken another step forward this year but I'm just not sure he will ever hit that 2C level, Little has regressed into a 3C and Rosie is still to inexperienced yet to take on more responsibility.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Scheifele is easily a top 10 Center in the game right now. But after him we have two 3C's and a 4C. Our center depth is no where near where it was during our playoff run. Lowry looks to have taken another step forward this year but I'm just not sure he will ever hit that 2C level, Little has regressed into a 3C and Rosie is still to inexperienced yet to take on more responsibility.

I'd say Little is middle to lower tier 2nd line center currently, but for a contender that's not enough. Biggest problem with him is that he doesn't seem to fit with guys he is expected to play with, as Wheeler and Scheifele are hip jointed and thus not allowing sane line combinations, like CLW, PLW or ELW. There is nothing wrong with CLP other than it puts the best 5-on-5 goal scorer (by far) to 3rd/4th line. While that kind of fixes that "best 5-on-5 goal scorer" part as nobody can do that 3rd/4th line, that's absolutely horrible asset management.

Scheifele is obvious TOP-10 center in the game, and Lowry is super good 3rd line center. Roslovic has a lot of potential, but has been totally misused this season, so we don't know if he will make it to even a 3rd line center this season. Copp is more than adequate 3rd/4th line center as well.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I have to disagree. Little has been ok with his line but in Finland Little line was totally invisible. Lowry line generated way more offense. Scheif and Wheels have been a bit off whole season.

In the first game against Panthers Little was pretty good and CLP in general was making some noise. They also finally got one in the net, but I'm not considering that but their overall game that was more than OK. In the second game Little was not that good, but also I don't think either Connor or Perreault were on beast mode.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Some of the lack of production from our forwards comes from only having 3 of our 6 defenseman being able to move and pass the puck with speed and efficiency . If we didn't have Morrissey , Buff and Trouba we would be really hooped .

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Any chance players are worn out from playoff run? This is first time we have had to deal with extended playoff run and is new for many of the fans and players. They are use to an extra month and a half of rest.

LA seemed to always underperform for first portion if season.
I think its the opposite ... I don't think they are playing with urgency ... they know its a long season.
I believe after Christmas break they will start firing on all cylinders ... I just hope they don't have to leap frog too many teams.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Scheif is not playing like a top 10 center right now and Little is certainly playing better then a 3c as well.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I see Little as better than that. I'm not looking at scoring stats. I'm watching him play. He does not look like last year's Little at all. He is faster and quicker. He is making good plays in all 3 zones. His s% is down. His SOG/gm are 2.07 this year compared to 1.57 last year and 2.02 the year before and 2.23 the year before that. I think he is back.

Rosie still isn't an NHL C and maybe we need to accept that he might never be. I don't mean give up on him as a C but we need to admit the possibility. That leaves us without much C depth. But I think we do have legit 1, 2, 3 and 4th line C's. Unfortunately, that means breaking up the CLT line.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I see Little as better than that. I'm not looking at scoring stats. I'm watching him play. He does not look like last year's Little at all. He is faster and quicker. He is making good plays in all 3 zones. His s% is down. His SOG/gm are 2.07 this year compared to 1.57 last year and 2.02 the year before and 2.23 the year before that. I think he is back.

Rosie still isn't an NHL C and maybe we need to accept that he might never be. I don't mean give up on him as a C but we need to admit the possibility. That leaves us without much C depth. But I think we do have legit 1, 2, 3 and 4th line C's. Unfortunately, that means breaking up the CLT line.
Little could be great if given Wheeler. Schief does not need Wheeler. Disagree on your assessment of Rosie.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seems pretty light on the R side without. Especially if Myers is traded as half the board is suggesting. Buff on 1st pair again is not feasible.

With Trouba gone, we are pretty light on the right side ..... whether Myers is traded or not. That's the point.

If Buff has to play 1st pair again (likely) he needs to have his PP min cut way back to avoid wearing him out.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As noted above, the Jets are the victim of some bad luck in shooting...

On-ice shooting % (2017/18):

Scheifele 7.44 (8.74)
Little 4.76 (6.95)
Lowry 4.94 (7.42)
Roslovic 5.88 (9.63)

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Some of the lack of production from our forwards comes from only having 3 of our 6 defenseman being able to move and pass the puck with speed and efficiency . If we didn't have Morrissey , Buff and Trouba we would be really hooped .

Yeah the breakout passes from the D have been absolutely atrocious at times. It doesn’t matter who the C is if the puck isn’t moved out well.

Reactions: Jets 31

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Scheif is not playing like a top 10 center right now and Little is certainly playing better then a 3c as well.

Biggest disappointment overall for the season has not been Laine for me, it’s been Scheif. He looked really bad in the Helsinki games, not dangerous at all. I wonder what’s up with him? He may also suffer from the same post-playoff fatigue Laine was hinting about.

Reactions: FFHockey

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Little has played well this year, but it’s just not reflecting on the scoreboard yet. Not at all worried about him.

Agree about Roslovic, sure he has very little ice time but there’s nothing to suggest he has a future at C. I can’t even remember a single play he’s done this year.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Seems pretty light on the R side without. Especially if Myers is traded as half the board is suggesting. Buff on 1st pair again is not feasible.
It’s something we’re going to have to face anyway. If we don’t get another RD in a Trouba trade, then we’ll need to sign Myers and use Poolman. Kuli can play right side as well. We should be ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad