Player Discussion: Centre depth not pulling their weight?

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
As of 14 games, our centre depth is NOT pulling their weight so far. Really feeling the void that Stastny has left. Little at 3C was perfect, and Jets need to rectify this prior to playoffs. 5 points from a 2C isn't quite good enough, IMO.

Stats thus far:
Scheifele: 13 points
Little: 5
Lowry: 5
Roslovic: 2
*Copp: 2 (not as centre)

Gotta think they're looking to beef that up sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Crocket

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
As of 14 games, our centre depth is NOT pulling their weight so far. Really feeling the void that Stastny has left. Little at 3C was perfect, and Jets need to rectify this prior to playoffs. 5 points from a 2C isn't quite good enough, IMO.

Stats thus far:
Scheifele: 13 points
Little: 5
Lowry: 5
Roslovic: 2
*Copp: 2 (not as centre)

Gotta think they're looking to beef that up sooner rather than later.
Well i think Little would have more points if Maurice played that line more and cut down Schief and Wheeler .

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Also, Schiefele has 6 powerplay points. I hate that I am using ES to make a point, but none of our players are contributing at even strength. It's basically "survive 5on5 and cash in at PP time"

I only use ES because it's different lines. Schiefele scoring goals and Wheeler racking up assists isn't happening with Ehlers or Connor during regular play, it's passing to Laine, who hasn't scored with any of his line mates

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i think 5on5 #s should be used with accompanying ice-time. pretty sure we are inflated heavily with the PP
Eh, the whole team can't shoot for **** 5v5 right now. Points are skewed because of how successful PP1 is.
was curious to see how many 5on5 goals wpg has compared to the rest of the league. bottom 3 in total 5on5 goals/5on5 goals per game, and tied for last in % of 5on5 goals to total GF

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
i think 5on5 #s should be used with accompanying ice-time. pretty sure we are inflated heavily with the PP

was curious to see how many 5on5 goals wpg has compared to the rest of the league. bottom 3 in total 5on5 goals/5on5 goals per game, and tied for last in % of 5on5 goals to total GF

I remember how excited I was over the summer with our forward depth and scoring potential. Something isn't right with this team. I don't know if it's the overall structure and strategy of our game, or individuals not playing to their potential or a combination of both.

Either way, our coach better start making this deep, talented group, play like one. Whether it's motivation, chemistry or effort, he needs to address it.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Roslovic should be back with the Moose, he just isn't an NHL centre yet. And Copp is Copp. I don't expect much scoring from him. As for the other three, they are scoring goals, but someone else has to get the job done for them to get assists. So, I'm not putting this all on the centres. Let's talk about winger depth not pulling their weight, too.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Let's see what a fourth line of something like Roslovic - Copp - Petan can do with more than Slater/Thorburn ice-time before writing them off FFS.

Give them a good chunk and if we get burned so be it, they will learn and get better. Tired of our team playing like they're scared to lose.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Perfect opportunity to reunite CLT to go up against Mac's line. This in turn leads to the perfect opportunity to break up Nickels and Cappy so Pate can see the 1st line.

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I remember how excited I was over the summer with our forward depth and scoring potential. Something isn't right with this team. I don't know if it's the overall structure and strategy of our game, or individuals not playing to their potential or a combination of both.

Either way, our coach better start making this deep, talented group, play like one. Whether it's motivation, chemistry or effort, he needs to address it.

I don'remember exactly who or when, but 1 or 2 players have made comments, kind of off-handedly, that suggest to me that they are feeling the pressure of high expectations. I think this becomes a leadership issue. Not sure Wheeler talking about pumping the brakes is the right response. I include coaching in this leadership issue too. This team will have to accept that that pressure comes with being a contender. They will have to learn to cope with it if they expect to become champions.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Stastny void is overstated. He was not here for 62 regular season games last season and the centre depth was fine.

The whole team is having 5v5 issues. It's not a Stastny thing.

And the fact is that Little has been playing well, creating and getting chances. He just hasn't got much to show for it yet. Not sure I could say the same for Scheif at 5v5.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
And the fact is that Little has been playing well, creating and getting chances. He just hasn't got much to show for it yet. Not sure I could say the same for Scheif at 5v5.
Yes, Little has been much better this year.

I thought the two games in Finland our lines looked like:

Little
Lowry
Scheif
Copp

Not in TOI of course, but in ability.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Last I checked, Little was being PDO'd to no end. Kind of goes for everyone else too; our shooting percentages are down team wide.

That, and we are dying in terms of xG. Can't win much that way.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I'm tired of hearing about Stastny ... he's not with the Jets ... get over it.
2018-19 Paul Stastny has 0 goals 0 assists which means he must have ZERO points ... good investment for a $6.5 million a year.

Like someone posted above equal ice time would produce more by the other centers.
Scheifele has 6 goals and plays 20+ mins
Other 3 centers have 8 goals playing a combined time of about 30+ mins

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Last I checked, Little was being PDO'd to no end. Kind of goes for everyone else too; our shooting percentages are down team wide.

That, and we are dying in terms of xG. Can't win much that way.

Absolutely this. As far as xGoals goes, only the Little line has been slightly above average last I heard.

One line slightly above average is not going to cut it unless we plan on relying solely on goaltending and the PP.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I feel like "defensive depth unable to clear the zone and/or make a simple breakout with the result that we spend much of every game in our zone or chasing a dump-in/icing" might be a more urgent thread topic.

But I agree with others that our ES scoring slump is team-wide, and that PM's coaching hasn't really helped yet, and not the fault of our centres exclusively. FWIW, I think the new lines look promising, and if that 4th gets some playing time in we are looking at a much more balanced and effective forward setup going forward.

That doesn't solve our D problems of course.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm tired of hearing about Stastny ... he's not with the Jets ... get over it.
2018-19 Paul Stastny has 0 goals 0 assists which means he must have ZERO points ... good investment for a $6.5 million a year.

Like someone posted above equal ice time would produce more by the other centers.
Scheifele has 6 goals and plays 20+ mins
Other 3 centers have 8 goals playing a combined time of about 30+ mins

Half of Scheif's goals came on the PP.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I feel like "defensive depth unable to clear the zone and/or make a simple breakout with the result that we spend much of every game in our zone or chasing a dump-in/icing" might be a more urgent thread topic.

But I agree with others that our ES scoring slump is team-wide, and that PM's coaching hasn't really helped yet, and not the fault of our centres exclusively. FWIW, I think the new lines look promising, and if that 4th gets some playing time in we are looking at a much more balanced and effective forward setup going forward.

That doesn't solve our D problems of course.

Just as better performance form our D might help our F's, better performance by our F's might help our D.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Yes, Little has been much better this year.

I thought the two games in Finland our lines looked like:

Little
Lowry
Scheif
Copp

Not in TOI of course, but in ability.
I have to disagree. Little has been ok with his line but in Finland Little line was totally invisible. Lowry line generated way more offense. Scheif and Wheels have been a bit off whole season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: