CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What a world when you can be presented with a preponderance of evidence of cheating and yet proceed not only as if nothing is wrong but use it as a rallying cry around your persecution.

I don't care one way or another about Michigan, but this is just too much. And it was either them or a team that didn't deserve to be in the final four playing for a title. It might take Washington winning to save whatever interest I have left in big time college football.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think this team should be sold.

What a world when you can be presented with a preponderance of evidence of cheating and yet proceed not only as if nothing is wrong but use it as a rallying cry around your persecution.

I don't care one way or another about Michigan, but this is just too much. And it was either them or a team that didn't deserve to be in the final four playing for a title. It might take Washington winning to save whatever interest I have left in big time college football.
Seems like this kind of shit is going on all around these days.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Good luck to MiCheatAgain in the title game.

I'm a biased UofM fan so I don't want to get into a back and forth about this and I can certainly understand your positions and comments.

But I can't support the position that they proceeded as if "nothing was wrong". A coach on a team with national championship aspirations doesn't take a self imposed three game supension if nothing was wrong. And if you say "but the suspension was when they were playing against bad teams" also remember the NCAA imposed a 3 game additional suspension that included huge road games against Penn State and Maryland and the game against OSU that was for the B1G east title and a chance at the B1G Championship.

During Tattoogate the NCAA discussed, investigated and negotiated with OSU and then they punished the university with a one year bowl ban while vacating the previous years wins. During this UofM controversy the NCAA discussed, investigated and negotiated with the UofM and the NCAA punished the university and Harbaugh with his additional 3 game suspension. Like the OSU incident the punishment was accepted and fulfilled and it is over.

If you are angry at the NCAA then be so. If you want additional sanctions against the university, the president, the AD, the board of directors, want the coach suspended more or fired, I can get behind all of these including vacating wins from the previous season(s). What I can't get behind is punishing or taking away any of the accomplishments of this current team who did not benefit in any way this season for the past bad deeds by others.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Makes me sick that they’re going to win it all. Ryan Day has truly ruined OSU football
Or maybe they are just better.

The arrogance of OSU football has ruined OSU Football. In the modern day of NIL they think they don't have to pay as much to get the top players. They have a systematic problem where they are getting left behind and their solution has been having Gene Smith beg alumni to give more money.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Or maybe they are just better.

The arrogance of OSU football has ruined OSU Football. In the modern day of NIL they think they don't have to pay as much to get the top players. They have a systematic problem where they are getting left behind and their solution has been having Gene Smith beg alumni to give more money.
They are “just better” which hasn’t been the case (and not close) for 10 years with a few exception years in there where Michigan was good but OSU got the breaks (2016 and 2018 I think). Thats a Ryan Day problem

But agreed completely on the NIL stuff

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
They are “just better” which hasn’t been the case (and not close) for 10 years with a few exception years in there where Michigan was good but OSU got the breaks (2016 and 2018 I think). Thats a Ryan Day problem

But agreed completely on the NIL stuff
It all coincides with the NIL/transfer rules stuff. Which OSU sort of broke open when Justin Fields was allowed to transfer without sitting out a year for what I consider to be a pretty lame reason.

Day mostly likely is part of the problem. He seems like a pretty smug, "my way or the highway" guy to me and helps perpetuate the systematic problem that the OSU Football organization thinks their sh*t doesn't stink while all the better players are going to different schools.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Browns better win Saturday's Wild Card game because I am taking my nephew to the CBJ game (it was his Chanukah present, he picked the date and I bought the tix weeks ago). I need them to win so I at least get to watch the next week's game :)

Question: do you guys think the CBJ game will still be packed despite the Browns playoff game? I hope so, I want my nephew to get the full experience of a busy packed barn and a buzz in the building.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
During Tattoogate the NCAA discussed, investigated and negotiated with OSU and then they punished the university with a one year bowl ban while vacating the previous years wins. During this UofM controversy the NCAA discussed, investigated and negotiated with the UofM and the NCAA punished the university and Harbaugh with his additional 3 game suspension. Like the OSU incident the punishment was accepted and fulfilled and it is over.
Au contraire mon frere...it is not over. NCAA investigation continuing and further penalties most likely will be forthcoming in my opinion.

Michigan gets notice of alleged football violations

Michigan faces a second NCAA investigation for the prohibited off-campus scouting and signal-stealing allegedly led by former staff member Connor Stalions, who resigned Nov. 4. Although Michigan has not received a notice of allegations in that case, the Big Ten imposed a three-game suspension for Harbaugh under its sportsmanship policy, which the coach served for the final three regular-season games. Harbaugh could be charged as a repeat violator under head-coach responsibility, also a Level I charge.

Last edited:

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Au contraire mon frere...it is not over. NCAA investigation continuing and further penalties most likely will be forthcoming in my opinion.

Michigan gets notice of alleged football violations

Michigan faces a second NCAA investigation for the prohibited off-campus scouting and signal-stealing allegedly led by former staff member Connor Stalions, who resigned Nov. 4. Although Michigan has not received a notice of allegations in that case, the Big Ten imposed a three-game suspension for Harbaugh under its sportsmanship policy, which the coach served for the final three regular-season games. Harbaugh could be charged as a repeat violator under head-coach responsibility, also a Level I charge.
Sure you can look at it this way if you wish but these other "violations" and a potential second NCAA investigation are affecting Harbaugh, his staff/former staff and the University from prior season(s) and not the current team.

These "violations" allegedly happened during the 2020 recruiting season (Covid) and sign stealing in seasons prior to 2023 and have nothing to do with the current football team or players nor does the article reference the sign stealing scandal being related to the current team.

From the article above: Although Michigan has not received a notice of allegations in that case, the Big Ten imposed a three-game suspension for Harbaugh under its sportsmanship policy, which the coach served for the final three regular-season games. Harbaugh could be charged as a repeat violator under head-coach responsibility, also a Level I charge.

The violations (as explained in this article above) are about Harbaugh and his staff for "violations" that happened during the season(s) prior to the current 2023 season.

I have never and will never defend Harbaugh or the University for any of these "alleged" violations. The NCAA should continue to investigate Harbaugh, his staff/former staff and the University and their policies and if found responsible punish them accordingly including taking wins away from season(s) that the violations occured. But as it relates to this current team or any potential punishment relating to these scandals on this current team.....I believe it is over (obviously the NCAA could decide otherwise).

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Undoubtably. Michigan was the best team in the nation. Tonight and all year.

They still cheated. Unquestionably.
And I for one, and maybe as a minority opinion believe anyone in the top end of college football will do anything necessary to win.

We act like videoing someone from the stands is equivalent to international espionage but college sports, specifically football and basketball has a much bigger problem with the transfer portal and NIL.

College sports has become the wild west where money rules all and the actual rules mean nothing. I stopped caring about college football over a decade ago because it stopped being about playing for your school and caring about tradition and education. The last few years have gotten even worse with NIL and transfers. Its now wide open win at all costs, make a ton of money that doesn't actually go back to the school for educational purposes.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
And I for one, and maybe as a minority opinion believe anyone in the top end of college football will do anything necessary to win.
Which is fine and all until it goes against the rules and you get caught doing it. And then lie about it. And then refuse to cooperate in the investigation.

The other stuff you said is true in some extent but doesn't have any bearing on the cheating scandal at large.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Which is fine and all until it goes against the rules and you get caught doing it. And then lie about it. And then refuse to cooperate in the investigation.

The other stuff you said is true in some extent but doesn't have any bearing on the cheating scandal at large.
Fair point. but also keep in mind those rules were essentially put in effect in the 90's because "not all schools could afford to send advance scouts to games."

while this is probably still true, a guaran-damn-tee that not every school has the money to offer large amounts of NIL money too.

We are just 1 step closer to the have and the have nots having their own set of rules and I would not be surprised to see these rules changed in the future.

And frankly, if any team is fast enough to get the opposing teams signals, translate it, and then get a new play in to the team with appropriate personnel on the field to counteract the signals you just "stole" within a 40 second play clock 50 times a game, that's damned impressive.

I have doubts of how much it actually impacts a game outside of the normal scouting that occurs.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
And frankly, if any team is fast enough to get the opposing teams signals, translate it, and then get a new play in to the team with appropriate personnel on the field to counteract the signals you just "stole" within a 40 second play clock 50 times a game, that's damned impressive.

I have doubts of how much it actually impacts a game outside of the normal scouting that occurs
They had an entire department to decode the signals and had multiple camera angles to get them. With weeks/months advance and multiple games. Even accounting for changes in signals or anything like that, it’s not as hard as you’d think.

It’s literally the Patriots spygate scandal again. And frankly, it appears if that happened now nobody would care.

But it doesn’t matter. This is all whiny bullshit crying over spilled milk. I’m not really trying to take anything away from the players, they weren’t the cheaters (even if they participated). I just hate the holier than thou leadership at Michigan, especially their coaching staff, and how they acted like children all year regarding the investigation. They acted like they were the victims (and so did the players), but they were only victims of their own bullshit.

I mean, come on.

Last edited:

joybang

Apr 5, 2021
That’s an absolutely wild quote and stinks of self righteousness and trying to validate their feelings of persecution. Unreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00