CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
I don’t follow soccer, but I know a lot of you guys do. So congrats to the Crew!! You fans celebrate this and immerse yourselves in it! :thumbu:

Reactions: Doggy

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Crew Bunny 2.JPG

I'm still bouncing off the walls today. I'm still heartbroken that I wasn't able to be there. Life conspired against me.

If you don't know, MLS Cup is a league event. Which means they control the distribution of tickets. And they gave some of the corporate sponsors a chance to acquire tickets before the season ticket holders got their chance, which sucks all on its own. Throughout Monday, which is when the presales began, season ticket holders were having all kinds of trouble finding any tickets anywhere. They were all gone already, except for the high-roller sections. It didn't make any sense.

Turns out, the presale code on TicketBastard for the sponsors got leaked. And scalpers and bots scooped up a whole bunch of the tickets in groups of 20, and immediately listed them and jacked up the prices up. (I actually saw on on StubHub or SeatGeek for more than $42,000, which I found to be slightly optimistic.)

At about 4:30, I got ahold of that code and got a ticket. But at about 9:30 that night, the Crew announced through social media that they had been made aware of the situation, and all the unauthorized purchases were going to be cancelled, and a new presale would start the next day. Justice for the fans... but I lost my ticket. And by the time I got my money back from TM, it was too late. And by the time someone tried to hook me up the day of the game, I'd spent all the money I was planning to spend downtown on other things. And I was stuck watching my favorite team win a championship from the couch about 20 miles away. #SadFace

But I'm still thrilled to be a part of the fanbase for this club. All we need is for the team down the road to get their act together.

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
All that I will say on the Shohei Ohtani front is that it's now more obvious than ever that Major League Baseball needs a hard cap like the NHL, and one that is so much lower than the luxury tax threshold that it has now. To teams in smaller markets, like the Guardians and Reds, this is not a business decision, this is an act of war.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
All that I will say on the Shohei Ohtani front is that it's now more obvious than ever that Major League Baseball needs a hard cap like the NHL, and one that is so much lower than the luxury tax threshold that it has now. To teams in smaller markets, like the Guardians and Reds, this is not a business decision, this is an act of war.
All I will say about baseball is that some big market fan is going to tell you that every so often an Arizona or Milwaukee or Kansas City does better than the Dodgers or Yankees and to them that's justification for the current state of the game from a business perspective.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I agree that the system needs some serious tweaking, but I doubt it will happen. Because baseball does not pool all tv revenues and the local contracts are far bigger than the national ones, the value of each team is basically a function of local tv revenue. Sharing those local revenues would severely impact big market teams profitability and valuations and I can't see any of them agreeing to that.

Should a hard cap be put on these teams (say $200 million) then what would happen is that the overall share revenues which go to player salaries would go down because the big market teams couldn't spend like they are now and, rightfully, the MLB Players Association would never agree to that.

While these numbers aren't final as players remain to be signed, I'd rather be the Reds with 50 million committed to payroll and so many players who are pre arbitration than the Mets or several other teams. Small market teams just have to be much better at scouting and building player pools than big market teams to be competitive. While it may not be "fair", it can be done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobcat205

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If you don't know, MLS Cup is a league event. Which means they control the distribution of tickets. And they gave some of the corporate sponsors a chance to acquire tickets before the season ticket holders got their chance, which sucks all on its own. Throughout Monday, which is when the presales began, season ticket holders were having all kinds of trouble finding any tickets anywhere. They were all gone already, except for the high-roller sections. It didn't make any sense.
Wow. That is about as miserable a policy as I have ever heard of. It's incomprehensible to me how they can keep a season ticket base with that sorry a$$ed policy. Sorry for your luck.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Wow. That is about as miserable a policy as I have ever heard of. It's incomprehensible to me how they can keep a season ticket base with that sorry a$$ed policy. Sorry for your luck.
I am not an STH in any sport but I would expect a STH to get first dibs on buying any post season games for their exact seats (except I guess for the SB which is not a home game for the home team). Is that not how it works?

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
OK, I know zero about soccer. I am assuming the game was played in Columbus. Are you saying this game was always going to be played in Columbus even if the Crew were not in the Finals?
No, the final is played in the home arena of the team that is seeded higher in their conference. If that is tied, it goes by total goal differential. Columbus and LAFC were both 3rd, but we had the better goal differential so it was played at Lower.com Field.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
No, the final is played in the home arena of the team that is seeded higher in their conference. If that is tied, it goes by total goal differential. Columbus and LAFC were both 3rd, but we had the better goal differential so it was played at Lower.com Field.
Actually, Columbus had 57 points and LAFC only had 52. The tiebreaker never came into play.

In fact, the Crew had more points than every team in the Western Conference. It was a guarantee that they would host MLS Cup should they get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: