CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I won't say I knew how last night's game would go, but I did think that Michigan would score around 30 and the difference would be whether Washington scored 20 or 40.

I just hate the holier than thou leadership at Michigan, especially their coaching staff, and how they acted like children all year regarding the investigation. They acted like they were the victims (and so did the players), but they were only victims of their own bullshit.
The players may not have cheated but they totally adopted the victim mentality. It's just too much.

About 10 years ago, I found myself less and less interested in college basketball. I didn't draw a line in the sand or anything, or even plan to stop watching, I just did. I watched less college football than usual this season, and that watch rate has declined over the past 3-4 seasons. I could see the same happening where it just isn't interesting to me any more.

This is not some great pronouncement. It's also not meant to suggest those who continue to watch are wasting their time or making a poor decision. Just an observation about my own level of interest.

Last edited:

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
We're just past halfway in the EFL Championship season.

West Bromwich Albion (my boys) are currently 5th, in a Promotion Playoff position alongside Leeds United, Southampton and Sunderland.

If the season ended now, our most likely first round match-up would be Leeds, who we have a 1-0-1 record against this season. 3rd place Southampton has beaten us 2-1 earlier this season, as has 6th place Sunderland.

Promotion back to the Premiership was not the expectation that I had, but at least we can end the season near the top of the table. Up the Baggies.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
We're just past halfway in the EFL Championship season.

West Bromwich Albion (my boys) are currently 5th, in a Promotion Playoff position alongside Leeds United, Southampton and Sunderland.

If the season ended now, our most likely first round match-up would be Leeds, who we have a 1-0-1 record against this season. 3rd place Southampton has beaten us 2-1 earlier this season, as has 6th place Sunderland.

Promotion back to the Premiership was not the expectation that I had, but at least we can end the season near the top of the table. Up the Baggies.
Promotion, as you're aware, is a mixed bag.

I'm Burnley supporter, and we are struggling this season after setting a Championship record last year in winning the top spot.

Reactions: Bobcat205

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I like seeing the Luton's of the league go up instead of the handful of clubs that seem to yoyo every year. I also like seeing teams that used to be up but hit some hard times and had to claw their way back up.

Reactions: Bobcat205

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
They had an entire department to decode the signals and had multiple camera angles to get them. With weeks/months advance and multiple games. Even accounting for changes in signals or anything like that, it’s not as hard as you’d think.

It’s literally the Patriots spygate scandal again. And frankly, it appears if that happened now nobody would care.

But it doesn’t matter. This is all whiny bullshit crying over spilled milk. I’m not really trying to take anything away from the players, they weren’t the cheaters (even if they participated). I just hate the holier than thou leadership at Michigan, especially their coaching staff, and how they acted like children all year regarding the investigation. They acted like they were the victims (and so did the players), but they were only victims of their own bullshit.

I mean, come on.

Which is ironic because most OSU football fans and the school itself give off a holier than thou attitude to me right straight down to the insistence of the smug usage of “THE”

Reactions: Jovavic

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
I like seeing the Luton's of the league go up instead of the handful of clubs that seem to yoyo every year.
I'm (largely) in the same boat, which is why I really want to see Ipswich Town recover from this skid they've been on and finish the year P2. It would make an amazing story.

Reactions: Jovavic

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Which is ironic because most OSU football fans and the school itself give off a holier than thou attitude to me right straight down to the insistence of the smug usage of “THE”

That is of recent vintage, set off by one or more pro player self-introductions. I went to Ohio State ( and that’s how it was always refer to!) from ‘67 to ‘73 and never heard “The” used.

Reactions: EspenK

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You never heard me say OSU wasn’t guilty of the same thing.

But saying “the” seems quite hallow comparatively to what you see out of Michigan.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I’m not saying you did but I’ve been disenchanted by major college sports for years. ALL of the major colleges have this attitude. “THE” is just a small sample of the OSU attitude.

That is of recent vintage, set off by one or more pro player self-introductions. I went to Ohio State ( and that’s how it was always refer to!) from ‘67 to ‘73 and never heard “The” used.
Agreed. This is an invention of the football program within the last 20 years I believe.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Didn't it start on Monday Night Football when they started letting the players introduce themselves and the Ohio State guys would say they are from "The" Ohio State University. I think other guys from different schools would do the same thing also. That's when I remember hearing it first.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Didn't it start on Monday Night Football when they started letting the players introduce themselves and the Ohio State guys would say they are from "The" Ohio State University. I think other guys from different schools would do the same thing also. That's when I remember hearing it first.
As I understand it, it began as a marketing/brand identity thing at OSU, which became sort of a meme. That's where the NFL guys got it. Then other players from other schools adopted it as a meme, too.

Reactions: Monstershockey

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I had a teacher way back in the day who called it “The Ohio State University” and he would say that is what it said on his diploma. That was before 1986. He said you could call it OSU or Ohio State, but you couldn’t call it Ohio State University. That is when I first became aware of the official name.

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
While it hurts to lose in the way that we did against Houston, I'm real real proud of my Browns. Through all the injuries, losing Chubb, Conklin, Watson and Jed, the fact we went 11-6 (could have been 12-5!) and made the playoffs is a testament to how well this team has been built. Myles Garrett was an absolute BEAST this year, and thoroughly deserves the DPOY honors. Joe Flacco coming off his couch to play as well as he did is a great story, and while it ended really ugly, I will never forget what he did.

Let's go back out there next year and go even farther.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
While it hurts to lose in the way that we did against Houston, I'm real real proud of my Browns. Through all the injuries, losing Chubb, Conklin, Watson and Jed, the fact we went 11-6 (could have been 12-5!) and made the playoffs is a testament to how well this team has been built. Myles Garrett was an absolute BEAST this year, and thoroughly deserves the DPOY honors. Joe Flacco coming off his couch to play as well as he did is a great story, and while it ended really ugly, I will never forget what he did.

Let's go back out there next year and go even farther.
As a Steelers fan who finds it cute when Browns fans get all excited about their team, I agree with all of this save for the Garrett-as-DPOY part. Kevin Stefanski is a really good coach and if they can keep Schwartz things are looking good for them. QB is still a hassle for them because of what they're paying a guy who is good but IMO no longer a difference maker. And I read somewhere his salary goes way up next season?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
As a Steelers fan who finds it cute when Browns fans get all excited about their team, I agree with all of this save for the Garrett-as-DPOY part. Kevin Stefanski is a really good coach and if they can keep Schwartz things are looking good for them. QB is still a hassle for them because of what they're paying a guy who is good but IMO no longer a difference maker. And I read somewhere his salary goes way up next season?
As of right now before the Browns try to restructure his contract yet again (they just keep kicking the money down the road)...

2022: $10M against the cap
2023: $19M against the cap (after restructuring which then explodes the next three seasons)
2024-2026: $64M against the cap each of three season

• Wow
Reactions: EspenK

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Anyone been following the Australian Open? Down to the final four on both the men's and women's sides.

Pulling for Zverev and Sinner in the semis because I am not a fan of Djoker or Medvedev. Of course that means the finals will likely be Djoker vs Medvedev. I do think Medvedev has the best shot at beating Djoker.

Zverev taking down Alcaraz was impressive. His 80+% first serve for the match was incredible!

DJoker is impressive and I concede he is the GOAT on the men's side even if I don't like him.

On the ladies side, would love to see Coco win it all...zero opinion on the other side of the draw. Can't stand Sabalenka, she is such a drama queen on the court.

Coco's comeback in the quarterfinals vs Kostyuk was so impressive. Kostyuk serving for the first set at 5-1 and Coco rolls off five straight and then wins the tiebreaker. Then after losing the second set tiebreak she jumps out to a 5-0 lead in the third set and wins it 6-2.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Harbaugh finally accomplished his biggest goal as Michigan coach.

Getting back to the NFL

(Stolen from my buddy Ben Axelrod)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad