Injury Report: Carter out indefinitely (Mod Edit--ETA February-ish)

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Trade deadline is Feb 26th. From Day 1 of the injury the Kings have mentioned they hope for his return around that date. So essentially we only get him for a bit over a month before the season ends. Hopefully we can continue to stay in the mix, Jan/Feb are the Kings traditional tank months.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Update today
Rob Blake not surprised by club's first half surge; Jeff Carter update - LA Kings Insider
Jeff Carter (IR/ankle surgery) has been spotted at times around more public areas of the team’s facility and has been seen observing recent practices. He’s shed the Roll-A-Bout and the crutches and is much more ambulatory than he was some six weeks ago.
“Walking around, finally. Real nice to see him walking around,” Rob Blake said. “I don’t know when he’s going to be back, but he is progressing. He’s walking around without a boot on, and he actually looks pretty good that way.”
As Blake noted, it’s still to early to put any sort of a timetable on his return. But there haven’t been any setbacks to this point or anything that might potentially push it back.
“Progression-wise and everything he’s doing right now shows he will be back this season,” Blake said.
Again, any ballpark of a return is yet to be set.
“I think once he gets skating, we’ll know a lot more,” Blake continued. “Has the tendon and everything started to heal? Yeah. But, there’s a lot else because he’s been immobile for so long that needs to be worked on. But all the steps taken, there’s been nothing that’s slowed it down.”
It’s still too early to presume that he will start skating lightly in the coming weeks.
“He’s progressing up here. [He’ll begin to skate lightly] once he gets to certain levels,” Blake said. “But there’s been no saying, ‘OK, January 17, you’re going on the ice.’ We haven’t put anything like that into it at all.”

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Is it me or does this sound like the initial time line might be set back into early March

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Would like to see him 100% for the playoffs. Get him back for beginning of March, the a month to get in shape.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Update today
Rob Blake not surprised by club's first half surge; Jeff Carter update - LA Kings Insider
Jeff Carter (IR/ankle surgery) has been spotted at times around more public areas of the team’s facility and has been seen observing recent practices. He’s shed the Roll-A-Bout and the crutches and is much more ambulatory than he was some six weeks ago.
“Walking around, finally. Real nice to see him walking around,” Rob Blake said. “I don’t know when he’s going to be back, but he is progressing. He’s walking around without a boot on, and he actually looks pretty good that way.”
As Blake noted, it’s still to early to put any sort of a timetable on his return. But there haven’t been any setbacks to this point or anything that might potentially push it back.
“Progression-wise and everything he’s doing right now shows he will be back this season,” Blake said.
Again, any ballpark of a return is yet to be set.
“I think once he gets skating, we’ll know a lot more,” Blake continued. “Has the tendon and everything started to heal? Yeah. But, there’s a lot else because he’s been immobile for so long that needs to be worked on. But all the steps taken, there’s been nothing that’s slowed it down.”
It’s still too early to presume that he will start skating lightly in the coming weeks.
“He’s progressing up here. [He’ll begin to skate lightly] once he gets to certain levels,” Blake said. “But there’s been no saying, ‘OK, January 17, you’re going on the ice.’ We haven’t put anything like that into it at all.”

Looks like no set backs to Carter's injury. Walking around without a booth already? That is awesome. I think its realistic to have him back middle to end of February. Hopefully we are in a playoff spot by then so that Carter can help us make the push.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I would like to have a 100% Carter.

Does anyone know if this is an injury that athletes can fully recover from or do we have to consider moving Carter to wing earlier than expected to reduce the strain on him?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hard to say, You can never really tell how a tendon will do. Erik Karlsson never really fully recovered from his, you can argue (though it was an achilles), even though he could obviously still get around it was a visible hitch in his skating.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
thanks Raccoon Jesus. ;)

And that's why I would rather not spend what limited assets we have on a winger until we know more about Carter. So let's say we trade for a winger rather than a top 4 RHD (I'd rather LaDue fill the top 4 RHD spot but for purposes of argument say a wing trade happens) and then suddenly we find Carter needs to move to wing.

Now we have a log jam at wing and haven't addressed the 2 C position. Not only that but our tradeable assets are fewer and then we still have that hole at top 4 RHD.

Edit: The flip side argument is also true. We have a 1 C. If we trade for a 2 C and then Carter fully recovers then now we have a logjam at 2 C without addressing our top 4 RHD. Do we move the new guy to wing which means we paid a center price for what is now a winger?

So yeah. Sure best trade if a trade is made is to improve our top 4 RHD. I'd still give LaDue a decent shot because he's cost controlled and we won't need assets to trade for one.

Last edited:

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
thanks Raccoon Jesus. ;)

And that's why I would rather not spend what limited assets we have on a winger until we know more about Carter. So let's say we trade for a winger rather than a top 4 RHD (I'd rather LaDue fill the top 4 RHD spot but for purposes of argument say a wing trade happens) and then suddenly we find Carter needs to move to wing.

Now we have a log jam at wing and haven't addressed the 2 C position. Not only that but our tradeable assets are fewer and then we still have that hole at top 4 RHD.

Edit: The flip side argument is also true. We have a 1 C. If we trade for a 2 C and then Carter fully recovers then now we have a logjam at 2 C without addressing our top 4 RHD. Do we move the new guy to wing which means we paid a center price for what is now a winger?

So yeah. Sure best trade if a trade is made is to improve our top 4 RHD. I'd still give LaDue a decent shot because he's cost controlled and we won't need assets to trade for one.
On what planet are we located here. LaDue couldn't even beat out Fantenberg, Folin, McDermott or Gravel for any spot on the team and you think he's a top 4 D man?

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I've seen some reports/comments that he's improved his play and that management wanted to give him another shot. So in an ideal situation, he would fill that top 4 RHD.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Whether he fills it or not it seems he's gonna be given the chance to try, which is the smartest thing. If he does, great. If not, well, back to where we started.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
He's with the guys today visiting LA Children's hospital. I was about to shed a tear....it has been too long.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Best part about Carter returning will be taking over for Pearson on the PP.

Said it before but Pearson, a left hand shot playing the middle of the ice when the PP is ran through Kopitar playing the right side half wall is the dumbest PP strategy I've seen since Stoll on the point. Will be nice to have a right handed shot in the slot to take one-timers from Kopitar.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Despite all the other cool movement today, this is the thing that has me the happiest, not just for the lineup, but for Carter himself. Miss that dude on the ice, his presence period is missed.

Reactions: MsMeow and Bandit

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

Despite all the other cool movement today, this is the thing that has me the happiest, not just for the lineup, but for Carter himself. Miss that dude on the ice, his presence period is missed.

tenor.gif

Reactions: KingTrouty

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
You have to assume what 30 days from when Carter actually starts skating again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad