Player Discussion Carey Price - The Price Is Right? *Mod warning post 1284*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
Just like the rest of the team, Price must be better. He looks frustrated, is overplaying shots and cheating as MTL team defense is in total chaos around him

Honestly, there isnt a player playing up to par right now outside of Mete who has given more than what was expected

CJ is trying to implement a zone defence style of play. Players seems all mixed up. Maybe they are not skilled or talented enough to play that style. Habs don't have the proper players to win anything, anyway ?

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
Price has consistently shown he's a top 5 goalie, while a guy like Bobrovsky has shown he can be a Vezina winner one year to looking very mediocre other years.

I agree that the top 5 goalies on any given year is a revolving door, but you see guys like Price & Holtby there every year now and I expect Holtby's next contract in a couple years will be around the same annual average salary Price got should he stay at his current pace.

dude, Price and Bob have identical career stats for every year Price has been a top 5 goalie, which I'd has has been 4 of his 11 years in the league
It is not actually rare for goalies 30+ to win the Vezina.

In the last 23 years, 11 Vezinas have been won by guys in their 30s. Four more were won by guys age 29.

Goalies peak later, last longer.

I think that is being a little misleading - since they changed the way they award the Vezina in 81/82 (0ver 35 years ago) only 4 goaltenders 30 or older have won a Vezina - Brodeur, Hasek, Thomas and Smith, granted three of those guys, other than Smith who won it once 35 years ado, won it multiple times. Very few goalies continue to preform at the highest level much past 30, there are rare guys like Hasek, Thomas and Brodeur, but they are few and far between - of the 100 or so goaltenders even seeing ice time each year, only a handful are older than 33... this year probably 5 goalies over 33 will play at least 20 or 30 games, last year that number was 6, the year before it was only three, the year before that it was only 2 - Luongo and Miller.

Reactions: haseoke39

Jul 6, 2016
Just like the rest of the team, Price must be better. He looks frustrated, is overplaying shots and cheating as MTL team defense is in total chaos around him

Honestly, there isnt a player playing up to par right now outside of Mete who has given more than what was expected

I am worrying for him on the longer term. No good for a kid his age to be on a losing team.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Why on earth would you want to contribute anything to the Leafs possibly winning a cup? I’d rather take peanuts then that return if it meant him keeping him away from Toronto.

The priority is to get the best deal for the Habs, regardless of whether or not another team benefits.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
would it really help the Leafs, long-term? Or would the 10.5M handcuff them for 8 years, especially considering Matthews' next contract?

Teams are going to have to learn how to manage $10+ contracts as I see a lot of teams eventually having 1 or 2 on their team with the cap being where it is and going up. It depends on what Matthews really asks for but I don’t think it would handcuff them.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
When people say that Price is a generational goalie that's when I say he's one of the most overrated player I have ever seen. To be generational one would expect a player to win an award in more than one single season. Failing that then I would expect incredible playoffs performances. I fail to see how Price is a generational goalie. He was great one single season and top 5 on a few occasions. Price is about as generational as Lundqvist.

Not even close to Lundqvist - in Lundqvist first 10 years in the league he was a Vezina finalist 5 times (top 3) and was never out of the top 6 - 10 straight years in the top 6.

Price's first 10 years - finalist 2 times, 4 times top 5, 6 times top 10, 4 times zero votes.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
CJ is trying to implement a zone defence style of play. Players seems all mixed up. Maybe they are not skilled or talented enough to play that style. Habs don't have the proper players to win anything, anyway ?

Definitely look mixed up. Nobody seems to in the right position. They look really passive and unsure. Lost count how many times point man could walk in unseen let alone untouched.

Its like 2 wingers standing at the circles, 2 defensenan swimming on each side of Price and the center feebly working the boards

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
There's only one way to manage a 10 million dollar contract.

It's to have a player worth 10 million dollars a year.

And Price will not be such a player.

He already is such a player. Damage is done. Call me old fashion, but making Toronto a better team is something I would just refuse to do. If Toronto were to be interested, it would mean other teams are too.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He already is such a player. Damage is done. Call me old fashion, but making Toronto a better team is something I would just refuse to do. If Toronto were to be interested, it would mean other teams are too.

No, Price is not worth 10.5 million/year, and moving forward he will be worth even less.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
When people say that Price is a generational goalie that's when I say he's one of the most overrated player I have ever seen. To be generational one would expect a player to win an award in more than one single season. Failing that then I would expect incredible playoffs performances. I fail to see how Price is a generational goalie. He was great one single season and top 5 on a few occasions. Price is about as generational as Lundqvist.

He had an almost four year run where he did showcase his talent, and in that run he looked damn near unbeatable, posting Hasek like numbers, being heads and shoulders above his pears for high danger shots. The eye, also, paralled the numbers. Who knows where he leads the Habs if Kreider doesn't blow his knee.

But that's the thing, he might not get back to this level, so he might not be a generational player when all is said and done. But we saw the talent and its results. That the wordings nuance escapes you, that it grinds your gear - that's entirely on you.

Lundqvist is my favorite goaltender fwiw, a legend who carried a poorly built team, with a better career than Price has had.

Last edited:

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
He had an almost four year run where he did showcase his talent, and in that run he looked damn near unbeatable, posting Hasek like numbers, being heads and shoulders above his pears for high danger shots. The eye, also, paralled the numbers. Who knows where he leads the Habs if Kreider doesn't blow his knee.

But that's the thing, he might not get back to this level, so he might not be a generational player when all is said and done. But we saw the talent and its results. That the wordings nuance escapes you, that it grinds your gear - that's entirely on you.

Seriously, there has been nothing Hasek like in his performance - Hasek's run from 93 to 99:
SV% leader 6 x
Vezina 5 x
Pearson 2 x
Jennings 1 x
Hart 2 x
Hart finalist 5 x

Price's best run 12 to 17
Hart x 1
Jennings x 1
Pearson x 1
SV% leader x 1 - all of this was in one year.

Price's career numbers are on par with about 5 or 6 of his contemporaries and certainly don't raise to the level of a player like Hasek

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Lundqvist is my favorite goaltender fwiw, a legend who carried a poorly built team, with a better career than Price has had.

Actually was 3 years since he was injured for a full season out of those 4. One of these 3 years he was not even nominated for the vezina. And in none of these years was he particularly dominant in the playoffs.

Players who accomplish their full potential for a majority of their career regardless of external factors deserve all the props. I will concede that Price had the talent to be a generational goalie.

Reactions: Andrei79

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
The priority is to get the best deal for the Habs, regardless of whether or not another team benefits.
Toronto is doing well without Price. they can't afford this big contract when Matthews, Marner and Nylander have contracts coming up. I don't think there is a team out there who will take Price's contract . Without weighing the cost and it would have to be a cup contender.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Actually was 3 years since he was injured for a full season out of those 4. One of these 3 years he was not even nominated for the vezina. And in none of these years was he particularly dominant in the playoffs.

Players who accomplish their full potential for a majority of their career regardless of external factors deserve all the props. I will concede that Price had the talent to be a generational goalie.
I'm not going to defend his playoffs. Lesser goalies have done more with less. He needs to be better.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
It's not of his fault. It's rather of the one who offered him this contract Be realistic, we'd have done the same thing in place of Carey, a great possibility that nobody wouldn't refuse this amount

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price had two #1 Ds in front of him in those 4 years. As much as Price can be praised for those 4 years, we must not disregard the context in which it was done.
But when that unit wasn't on the ice it was a horrible D. There were entire seasons where he was pretty much the only reason the club made the playoffs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Toronto is doing well without Price. they can't afford this big contract when Matthews, Marner and Nylander have contracts coming up. I don't think there is a team out there who will take Price's contract . Without weighing the cost and it would have to be a cup contender.
They could take him. If they did, they'd likely win a cup this year. Tons of teams could and would take him as well.

The idea that he's untradeable is nonsense. That being said, if he has a bad year his value will drop dramatically.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Tons of teams could and would take him as well.

What does this mean, exactly - 'tons of teams'? :huh:

Despite not knowing, i'll use it anyway, if you don't mind. There are also tons of teams who are set at the goaltending position, at a much lower cost. They would not trade for Price.

Further, i think there would be teams - cost conscience teams with their own internal cap, perhaps - who might question the idea of paying > 10M for a goalie.

That's without even considering the risk you mentioned - his value dropping dramatically with a bad season.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That contract is such an albatross that the mere spectre of Price not living up to it would be enough to chase away potential trade partners. We'd have to retain a significant amount of salary.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I do wonder how much he'd be worth in FA next year with a below average 2017-2018 season. This was the big risk with contract, when you pay a player expecting him to hit his ceiling for a majority of his contract years it tends to be problematic for the team. Price's expected ceiling is obviously being the head-and-shoulders best goalie in the NHL but, considering his age, I'm not sure it was that realistic to expect such a scenario happening on a regular basis past age 31.

Still, I do wonder how Price in FA would look like considering that I've heard some people even suggest that he'd get more than 10.5, something that I personally have a hard time believing would ever happen.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
I do wonder how much he'd be worth in FA next year with a below average 2017-2018 season. This was the big risk with contract, when you pay a player expecting him to hit his ceiling for a majority of his contract years it tends to be problematic for the team. Price's expected ceiling is obviously being the head-and-shoulders best goalie in the NHL but, considering his age, I'm not sure it was that realistic to expect such a scenario happening on a regular basis past age 31.

Still, I do wonder how Price in FA would look like considering that I've heard some people even suggest that he'd get more than 10.5, something that I personally have a hard time believing would ever happen.
It wouldn't. No other team would give so much to a goalie. That is why Price signed so early. Him and his agent knew it was an offer they couldn't refuse. MB played again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad