Not open for further replies.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
I honestly believe the price for Price is wrong
I could have accepted $8-8.5M, not more
BUT
What was Bargain bin to do?
Trade him - he gets lynched
Play hard ball - he gets lynched(maybe shot if Price holds out)
Let him walk - LOL can't even go there

So, what options did he have ?
Trade and expect an equal return - Not for goalies
I don't know what the best option would've been, I don't even know if there even was a viable option other than the long term signing

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price hasn't looked looked sharp. To my eyes, he seems slower to react, and his motion somewhat inhibited or tentative. You never know with athletes if they're nursing a deep bruise or a tweaked joint. Hopefully, he'll have more of his usual game going forward.

Half the D is new so there has to be a period where the goalie is learning to predict what these guys are likely to do. I'm not sure they know themselves, because there's been more than a few defensive CFs in our own zone.

Whatever is causing his uncommonly average play, I hope he'll work through it soon and do what he does best. If not, it'll be a hell of a long year, especially around here.

Edit: Brought this over from another thread that was locked as I was writing...
Not looking sharp this season is one thing. Reading posters here say he's a "mid pack goalie" who only had one good year is another...

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Not looking sharp this season is one thing. Reading posters here say he's a "mid pack goalie" who only had one good year is another...

Extravagant misrepresentation and outright hogwash are nothing novel around these parts.

I don't really agree that "no goalie is ever worth $10.5M". This is based on historical valuation of the position and doesn't account for exceptions. A goalie isn't worth whatever, until someone pays it. Then someone else will, etc. I'd rather pay Price less, but without him the team will fold like an off-suit 8-2.

One thing I've noticed here is that a great many posters believe every shot is stoppable. I've actually read posts where someone is screaming about a screened double deflected bar down not being saved. The understanding of the position isn't nearly as broad as that of other positions.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He will be getting paid ~25% more than the next goalie (who is also grossly overpaid), and about 40% more than the next guy on the list who just happens to be the reigning Vezina winner.

At that type of premium, he is expected to be the best goalie in the world in 50-75% of his starts. It doesn't matter what he did in the past, there is no way he will ever be able to live up to that contract and it will ultimately ruin his legacy here in Montreal. Still surprised he signed for so much.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
I don't think he's as bad as he's played lately, but so far this season he's not been very good (or even good) at all save for the game vs the Sabres.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
For all we know, the conversation could have gone like this:

Price: I love it here and want to retire a Hab. Ideally, I'd like to be compensated accordi...

MB: Here's $80m for 8 years!

Price: Er, ok. I think we should leave some cap room for defence.

MB: No worries! Here's $82m then. I got plans for defence!

Price: Oh, thanks. $82m seems like a lot though...

MB: OK!!! $84m it is then. And don't worry about your defence. I have plans to make it better than last year.
No, we know the conversation didn't go like that. Price went on record saying teams have found a way to pay their best players. He sees himself up there with the Kanes and Crosbys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Goes from a Hart/lindsay/vezina season to “ridiculously overrated” in what? 2-3 seasons? Give your head a shake. He’s off to a bad start, and I dont like the contract either but he’s done enough to warrant some patience....more than 5 games anyway.

You know when Price had a .930+ SV% and was making 6.5 million/year?

That will never happen again.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Kind of a fun read now.

https://www.nhl.com/news/carey-price-wants-new-contract-with-canadiens/c-289064808
https://www.nhl.com/news/carey-price-wants-new-contract-with-canadiens/c-289064808
Price didn't want to cripple the team.
Chuck's future firmly implanted at wing.
Rads - who knows?

Nothing about this guy Cap Space though.

The question(s) about Price's contract price seems almost moot until the Cap Space is utilized. My main beef with this team right now is not doing EVERYTHING possible to make Chuck succeed at center - a position where he did have success which makes it even more frustrating. I just think that is a critical piece in deciding the value of Price's contract - oddly enough.

The best defense is offense?

Reactions: habtastic

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I've already stated that I think Price's contract is a bit high for my liking but it isn't horrible either. He IS our franchise layer and such players need to be paid accordingly. Of course, sucks for us our franchise player is a goalie, but we made our bed and have to live with it.

I think Price can and has to play better, but this isn't all on him. Teams are getting really good looks and getting a lot of high danger chances. Sure, you'd expect Price to stop these but our D isn't shielding him as well as before either.

Anyhow, not dismissing his performance but he is still an elite goaltender. He currently isn't playing as one, I'm not blind to that, but the team isn't exactly helping him out. Everyone needs to play a lot better and Price I am sure will be the first to agree.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
He will be getting paid ~25% more than the next goalie (who is also grossly overpaid), and about 40% more than the next guy on the list who just happens to be the reigning Vezina winner.

At that type of premium, he is expected to be the best goalie in the world in 50-75% of his starts. It doesn't matter what he did in the past, there is no way he will ever be able to live up to that contract and it will ultimately ruin his legacy here in Montreal. Still surprised he signed for so much.

Price is a fantastic goalie but this here is just some cold hard truth. It's just going to be impossible to live up to that contract, for all involved, imo.

E82

Feb 3, 2015
All athletes are underpaid for the amount of money these organizations make. Just feel bad for Price because if the layout of the team doesn't change it will be almost impossible for him to live up to that contract. The dollar amount is fine with me. It's the years that makes it difficult for him to survive.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
He needs to be a top 5 goalie year in/year out going forward. It is the only way to justify that contact. Rough start to the season, but I'm hopeful he can pick it up. Otherwise, the team is boned

Reactions: Genesis76

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't even think top 5 justifies that contract. The top 5 of goalies on any given year is a revolving door. On any given year someone making some small fraction of Price's cap hit will outperform him. Where's the value?

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
He needs to be a top 5 goalie year in/year out going forward. It is the only way to justify that contact. Rough start to the season, but I'm hopeful he can pick it up. Otherwise, the team is boned

Price will never be a top 5 goalie again

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

his stats are beyond horrible for the contract he commands. %9.15 would still be mediocre but below %8.90 we would be better off with any middle pack AHL goalie, at least they would have something to fight for.

5 games is 5 games but do you really believe hes going to be any better with a team like this managed by Bergevin?

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I think the bad starts that Price has been having is a product of a very porous defense, who lets happening way to many prime scoring chances. We have no real first pairing, our second pairing has been bad, and our third pairing abysmal. No wonder why the goalie lets some in when the defense lets guys like Matthews set up their shots from the high slot. I don't think these happen as often if we put a bigger / stronger player as Weber's partner, for a good 25 mins a game. Mete has been good but he's not a top2 D just yet. Mete's weak physical strenght is very detrimental when the oposing teams puts any kind of pressure, sure he makes up for it with his speed and whatnot but really when it comes to fighting for every inches of ice he's not there yet.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I don't even think top 5 justifies that contract. The top 5 of goalies on any given year is a revolving door. On any given year someone making some small fraction of Price's cap hit will outperform him. Where's the value?
Price has consistently shown he's a top 5 goalie, while a guy like Bobrovsky has shown he can be a Vezina winner one year to looking very mediocre other years.

I agree that the top 5 goalies on any given year is a revolving door, but you see guys like Price & Holtby there every year now and I expect Holtby's next contract in a couple years will be around the same annual average salary Price got should he stay at his current pace.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
BUT

I don't know what the best option would've been, I don't even know if there even was a viable option other than the long term signing

Great post! You summarized the reality of the situation perfectly.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I sure wish Carey Price was making only $7M, that way we could have paid Shaw and Alzner $6M each.
So because those two have bad contracts, that makes Price's contract good?

"Player Discussion - Carey Price"

I'm sure there is an Alzner or Shaw or Bergevin thread where you can talk about how bad those players and their contracts are.

Reactions: scrubadam

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
BUT

The day you traded PK Subban is the day you told the world you didn't care about being lynched. Do people really think Price is the most loved Habs player we had and have? Due to his persona, the ONLY reason why Habs fans love him is because of his on-ice performance. The day that goes, add to this his upcoming salary, you might see booing like you've never heard before if everything goes south. Nothing that would have happened to our ex No.76. So Price could have TOTALLY been traded. But would have NEVER been traded as Price IS Bergevin plan.

The whole "you go in the playoffs and you never know" that meant and will always mean "With Carey, we make the playoffs. And then, maybe a miracle could happen".

Last edited:
Reactions: Drifting and Peanut

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
So because those two have bad contracts, that makes Price's contract good?

"Player Discussion - Carey Price"

I'm sure there is an Alzner or Shaw or Bergevin thread where you can talk about how bad those players and their contracts are.

I am discussing Price. As in, it doesn't what matter what Price makes because Bergevin will waste money anyway. If Price made $3 million Bergevin would just sign a bunch of bad players at high priced contracts. He isn't going to spend the money on anything needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad