Player Discussion Carey Price - The Price Is Right? *Mod warning post 1284*

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
I think that he'll hover around that range and that he might win one or two more Vezinas.

Is that worth 84 million?

I think Price's Vezina days are behind him.
The defence in front of him isn't good enough to support him.
It is quite rare for goalies 30 and older win the Vezina.

No.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
October 1, 2013 the Leafs sign Phil Kessel to an 8 years $64 million contract.
December 31, 2013 the Leafs sign Dion Phaneuf to a 7 year $49 million contract.
New management, Brendan Shanahan et al., arrives April 11, 2014.
Phil Kessel traded July 1, 2015 (Leafs retain $1.2 million/year).
Dion Phaneuf traded February 9th, 2016.

I include the Leafs history above as an example of bad contracts that were signed that they were able to get out from under and move on from relatively quickly.
The Price contract I see as similar to the Kessel deal., a good player being overpaid for what he can bring to the team in a cap league.
I think that when the new GM arrives in Montreal (this Summer?) he should trade Price to a team that has goalie issues like Winnipeg or Calgary or to Vancouver, where Price is from, for as good a deal as he can get and then start the rebuild. He shouldn't wait long in case Price's on ice performance drops and the contract will be that much harder to move.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
October 1, 2013 the Leafs sign Phil Kessel to an 8 years $64 million contract.
December 31, 2013 the Leafs sign Dion Phaneuf to a 7 year $49 million contract.
New management, Brendan Shanahan et al., arrives April 11, 2014.
Phil Kessel traded July 1, 2015 (Leafs retain $1.2 million/year).
Dion Phaneuf traded February 9th, 2016.

I include the Leafs history above as an example of bad contracts that were signed that they were able to get out from under and move on from relatively quickly.
The Price contract I see as similar to the Kessel deal., a good player being overpaid for what he can bring to the team in a cap league.
I think that when the new GM arrives in Montreal (this Summer?) he should trade Price to a team that has goalie issues like Winnipeg or Calgary or to Vancouver, where Price is from, for as good a deal as he can get and then start the rebuild. He shouldn't wait long in case Price's on ice performance drops and the contract will be that much harder to move.
I often think of the Leafs and their two disaster contracts being their rock bottom moment. Can we get a visionary GM in to clean house like Shanny/Lou did? Perhaps one of but not both of Price or Weber could be around to see the rebuild.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I dont think he gets those numbers again and it will only get worst from now on.

Its going to be a long painful road to a rebuild.

If we suck hard this year, we can openly hope we clean house and we get an actual rebuild going so it’s not as long. But if it’s a retool they want to do, it will be a lot more painful.

rafalesque

Apr 9, 2017
Call me crazy, but I would trade Price now even to the leafs for some of their young guns

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
Call me crazy, but I would trade Price now even to the leafs for some of their young guns

You realize that price is basically untradable.

Teams aren't taking on an additional goalie...so, Haps would need to take Anderson back.

We don't have cap space for a $10m goalie, no one does, so MTL has to retain salary....taking a a goalie back, might swell just keep price...you'd need to pay $3m of his salary anyways.

No one will pay for the privilege of putting them selves in cap hell for 8 years over a goalie.

Even if someone would take Price...what's the return?.

Player value isn't just based on the player anymore..it's based on their contract too.

Reactions: DAChampion

rafalesque

Apr 9, 2017

Teams aren't taking on an additional goalie...so, Haps would need to take Anderson back.

We don't have cap space for a $10m goalie, no one does, so MTL has to retain salary....taking a a goalie back, might swell just keep price...you'd need to pay $3m of his salary anyways.

No one will pay for the privilege of putting them selves in cap hell for 8 years over a goalie.

Player value isn't just based on the player anymore..it's based on their contract too.

We painted ourselves in the corner with his contract. Take Andersen back if needed to... get the young guns. When we traded Halak its because his value was high at the time although everybody was screaming

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
If we suck hard this year, we can openly hope we clean house and we get an actual rebuild going so it’s not as long. But if it’s a retool they want to do, it will be a lot more painful.

If we suck this year, a true rebuild would be with Price gone.

Please lets forget about the Roy narrative. That horse was murdered when Subban got traded.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Price can be traded if some of the salary is retained.

For example, if the Habs retain 4 million/year they might be able to get a 1st round draft pick for Price.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Price can be traded if some of the salary is retained.

For example, if the Habs retain 4 million/year they might be able to get a 1st round draft pick for Price.
Which....would make no sense as we would be essentially paying a guy like Mike Condon 6.5M/yr to play goal or a guy like Andersen 9M a year.

Price'll be fine for the rebuild. As long as he's not that interested, or the baby is keeping him up at night, or if he wants to get someone fired we'll be getting tank worthy goaltending.

I

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Which....would make no sense as we would be essentially paying a guy like Mike Condon 6.5M/yr to play goal or a guy like Andersen 9M a year.

Price'll be fine for the rebuild. As long as he's not that interested, or the baby is keeping him up at night, or if he wants to get someone fired we'll be getting tank worthy goaltending.

I

No, Price would be catastrophic to a rebuild. He won't play .885 forever, The Habs need to draft top-3 not top-10.

When the Leafs traded Kessel (including salary retained which you think "makes no sense"), they ended up drafting Auston Matthews rather than Mikhail Sergachev ... which do you think is better?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
No, Price would be catastrophic to a rebuild. He won't play .885 forever, The Habs need to draft top-3 not top-10.

When the Leafs traded Kessel (including salary retained which you think "makes no sense"), they ended up drafting Auston Matthews rather than Mikhail Sergachev ... which do you think is better?
Retaining a bit is fine. 1.5 for 7byears beats 4M for 8, come on...I think we're stuck with him more than any other player in the league.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm wondering how these deals given to players going past their primes is going to affect the NHL going forward.

As advanced stats get more popular and players come in more prepared, with mature games at 19 and better physical fitness, you'll have to think some managers will start to realize there's a natural decline starting in the late 20s/early 30s. The markets skewed towards those UFAs though and you end up paying a premium on a player who can't reach his previous levels on a consistent basis. The trend, and rightfully so, seems to be moving towards paying for prime years.

We've seen holes in Prices game the last two years, holes that didn't show up for 4-5 years before. If your player needs to be insulated, he's not a 10M$ player - and I say this believing Price is a generational talent at his position.

That's disregarding the fact MB put himself in a position where Price had to be paid.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It is not actually rare for goalies 30+ to win the Vezina.

In the last 23 years, 11 Vezinas have been won by guys in their 30s. Four more were won by guys age 29.

Goalies peak later, last longer.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

In the last 23 years, 11 Vezinas have been won by guys in their 30s. Four more were won by guys age 29.

Yes, but Price has a lot of miles and injuries on him.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

yeah but how many of those 11 had already won a vezina in their 20's ??????

SOME goalies peak later....price is not one of them.....his peak was 2015

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
yeah but how many of those 11 had already won a vezina in their 20's ??????

SOME goalies peak later....price is not one of them.....his peak was 2015

The best goaltender ever started his peak the same age Price did, won his first vezina the same age as well - and posted similar stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad