Player Discussion Carey Price - The Price Is Right? *Mod warning post 1284*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It is not actually rare for goalies 30+ to win the Vezina.

In the last 23 years, 11 Vezinas have been won by guys in their 30s. Four more were won by guys age 29.

Goalies peak later, last longer.
Let's hope shall we? He's built himself a sizable hill to climb after the first 5 games to even be considered this season.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
LOL, what are you dreaming about?

you would be lucky to get nylander alone for price

Well, you're one who thinks Price regrets signing an 80 million dollar contract. I'm not sure who's dreaming of what.

Nylander and Anderson would likely be the starting point of a deal like that.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
there is no way you get both of them for Price.....leafs have no need for price anyway.....the leafs would be more interested in weber

This isn't a proposal - I'm not an NHL GM.

At the start of the 15-16 season, I'm sure most would've turned down a deal like that, any deal not involving Crosby/McDavid actually.

I' m wondering what posters not named habsgirl, Genesis76 or Philip the Third would be ready to accept if Price were dealt.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET

Price is not this team's biggest problem.

That said, enjoy Sandler in a Bruins rag knocking Bob Barker out with a headbutt.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This isn't a proposal - I'm not an NHL GM.

At the start of the 15-16 season, I'm sure most would've turned down a deal like that, any deal not involving Crosby/McDavid actually.

I' m wondering what posters not named habsgirl, Genesis76 or Philip the Third would be ready to accept if Price were dealt.
Price being dealt woud signify the start of a much needed teardown and rebuild. I don't think this team has a chance of competing as it is assembled.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

times have changed, price value was at its peak in summer of 2015, his value has declined drastically since then,

even at his peak in 2015 you still dont get mcdavid for price,

goalies in general dont have high trade value, they never have, and never will,

just to humour you, if your talking about a leaf trade (which will never happen anyway) i think we could probably get JVR straight up for price, that is realistic, and thats all price is gonna fetch

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'll defend any goalie on goals that aren't their fault.

But my sympathy for Price died the day he signed the contract.

He knew the sink was shipping with an arrogant captain who is willfully hitting the Iceberg because he thinks his ship is unsinkable because he built it and he's navigating it.

He signed anyways. He sold his soul and his play shows it.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
times have changed, price value was at its peak in summer of 2015, his value has declined drastically since then,

even at his peak in 2015 you still dont get mcdavid for price,

goalies in general dont have high trade value, they never have, and never will,

just to humour you, if your talking about a leaf trade (which will never happen anyway) i think we would be lucky to get JVR straight up for price

Clearly, my post didn't communicate to you what I wanted.

I'll put it simply:

1. I don't think the Habs would trade someone like Price to the Leafs, ever.

2. I'm not looking to see what his REAL trade value is - I already have a good idea of the lower and higher end we could expect. I'm looking to see what POSTERS HERE would be satisfied with.

3. I don't care for generalities, they're just that - arguments with no substance. Goaltenders like Price don't get traded, in the instances it happened, they were either much older, or traded by incompetents like Keenan and Houle.

4. Lamoriello, who would build a statue for Brodeur, would likely do cartwheels if he could fetch Brodeurs stylistic reincarnate for JVR. But that's besides any point, outside of a very basic incompatibility for discussing with each other.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
4. Lamoriello, who would build a statue for Brodeur, would likely do cartwheels if he could fetch Brodeurs stylistic reincarnate for JVR. But that's besides any point, outside of a very basic incompatibility for discussing with each other.

i dont agree with that at all,

the leafs dont need a goalie, andersen is doing fine, his numbers were pretty much identical to price last season, and he had worse defense in front of him, we are now seeing price numbers go down with a worse defense in front of him this season,

if you put price on the leafs last year his numbers wouldnt be any better then andersens,

and if you put andersen on habs last season, his numbers would be just as good as price were,

the difference between price numbers last season and andersens numbers last season was the defense in front of them,

to make a long story short, price does not improve the leafs team one bit,

leafs need defense

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I'll defend any goalie on goals that aren't their fault.

But my sympathy for Price died the day he signed the contract.

He knew the sink was shipping with an arrogant captain who is willfully hitting the Iceberg because he thinks his ship is unsinkable because he built it and he's navigating it.

He signed anyways. He sold his soul and his play shows it.
I used to think that Price+Subban were a real thing; that if Subban ever left, Price would be out the door right afterward. They effectively came up together and seemed to have a real bond, til Therrible started to beat up on Subban anyway. But somewhere along the line, Price started drinking management Kool-Aid. He seemed over the moon that Weber came to town and not very disappointed at all that Subban was gone. Then he just cashed in a mega-bucks contract rather than test free agency and take a real run at a Cup.

He's pretty much doomed now. Lundqvist redux. Or a Curtis Joseph-like figure. He'll be remembered as great, but oh what a shame he never won a Cup.

Reactions: DAChampion

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Honestly, I don't care what you agree with, what you think the Leafs need or if you think Price and Andersen are of an equal measure. I'm not trying to discuss any of these terrible opinions. No one is in this thread actually, aside from you. If you're still trying to understand the thought process behind my first post well, it's explained to you in the post you quoted beforehand, in your second to last reply. You can refer to it if you ever do want to discuss its content. Until then, I'm not carrying this any further.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Yes, but Price has a lot of miles and injuries on him.
When we're talking about Vezina winning goaltenders, the sample size is so small you can't say much meaningful about Carey by extrapolation. Hasek's groin was held together by masking tape. Brodeur had more miles on him than anybody. I think the thing to look for is what Carey's body specifically is capable of compared to three years ago. Has he lost speed? Agility? Flexibility? Is he playing more conservatively to compensate?

I'm a new Habs fan , so I'm going to avoid answering. But those are the questions I would ask. E.g., I recall when Ryan Miller, in his early thirties, started easing back into his crease and playing a lot more like Curtis Joseph, being less aggressive because he was less confident in his ability to recover, you knew he'd hit his peak. That's what you look for.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It’s a bad way to start after the contract he signed. But this isn’t all his fault. Im used to seeing a goalie that looked like he never had a pulse, that seeing him play this way again after years of being world class seems very foreign.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
When people say that Price is a generational goalie that's when I say he's one of the most overrated player I have ever seen. To be generational one would expect a player to win an award in more than one single season. Failing that then I would expect incredible playoffs performances. I fail to see how Price is a generational goalie. He was great one single season and top 5 on a few occasions. Price is about as generational as Lundqvist.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I'd trade Price for Kapanen, Anderson, first + a lock of Nylander's hair. No hair, no deal.

... and I like Price. He's just not good enough to support this team anymore. No tender is.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I'd trade Price for Kapanen, Anderson, first + a lock of Nylander's hair. No hair, no deal.

... and I like Price. He's just not good enough to support this team anymore. No tender is.

Why on earth would you want to contribute anything to the Leafs possibly winning a cup? I’d rather take peanuts then that return if it meant him keeping him away from Toronto.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
When people say that Price is a generational goalie that's when I say he's one of the most overrated player I have ever seen. To be generational one would expect a player to win an award in more than one single season. Failing that then I would expect incredible playoffs performances. I fail to see how Price is a generational goalie. He was great one single season and top 5 on a few occasions. Price is about as generational as Lundqvist.

He had a five year peak that was absolutely generational. Heck even with him playing terrible now, it’s way to early to say if it’s over yet.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I used to think that Price+Subban were a real thing; that if Subban ever left, Price would be out the door right afterward. They effectively came up together and seemed to have a real bond, til Therrible started to beat up on Subban anyway. But somewhere along the line, Price started drinking management Kool-Aid. He seemed over the moon that Weber came to town and not very disappointed at all that Subban was gone. Then he just cashed in a mega-bucks contract rather than test free agency and take a real run at a Cup.
What was he or anyone else supposed to say? He said all the right things as he's supposed to. Weber and Price were apparently friends as well. That doesn't mean that Price was happy about Subban or how things went down.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Just like the rest of the team, Price must be better. He looks frustrated, is overplaying shots and cheating as MTL team defense is in total chaos around him

Honestly, there isnt a player playing up to par right now outside of Mete who has given more than what was expected

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Why on earth would you want to contribute anything to the Leafs possibly winning a cup?

would it really help the Leafs, long-term? Or would the 10.5M handcuff them for 8 years, especially considering Matthews' next contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad