Player Discussion Carey Price - Need a Jesus Price resurrection [MOD WARNING 526]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
- Price's current contract is listed as a NMC, NTC (15 teams) * This was listed this way even before his new contract was signed I believe as we were forced to protect him in the Expansion draft.
- Price's next contract is listed as a NMC

If you are correct that the NMC was extended to his current deal, then Price controls everything. There is no list of teams unless he make a list. He can put 5 teams or 20 teams. That would be his choice as he has that NMC.

Like I said, in this scenario he would have to agree to being traded. Then him and the GM he would sit down and decide how many teams he’d be willing to be traded too. Price is in full control. Buyout isn’t an option either has even if they bought him out, they’d have to pay him $70 million. Which will never happen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Like I said, in this scenario he would have to agree to being traded. Then him and the GM he would sit down and decide how many teams he’d be willing to be traded too. Price is in full control. Buyout isn’t an option either has even if they bought him out, they’d have to pay him $70 million. Which will never happen.

Buyout is not going to happen. We stick with him or he comes to us asking for a trade IMO.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
We have to realise that as long as Bergevin is GM it doesn't matter how much cap space we have. He wouldn't be able to build a conteding team even if he had unlimited cap space. Now I don't think Bergevin will be the GM for the entirety of Price's contract which makes this a bad deal.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
We have to realise that as long as Bergevin is GM it doesn't matter how much cap space we have. He wouldn't be able to build a conteding team even if he had unlimited cap space. Now I don't think Bergevin will be the GM for the entirety of Price's contract which makes this a bad deal.

Agreed but we also need to realize that Geoff agreed to all of this.

In my honest opinion he needs to fire himself and put some one who knows what hes doing.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Wow thank god Price is hurt so that we had something to cry about I was starting to wonder if we'd have a chance to whine. The rest of the month looks winnable games so it may be until December before we get to cry about something. Price is such a gamer getting a minor injury so we can whine and fire everyone because of it.

Reactions: Frankenheimer

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
10.5 million in a 30 year old goal tender? For the next 8 years? Lmfao A 12 year old with Down’s syndrome would decline the deal. “ it’s baaaad really bad”!

Well, that's more on Bergevin than it is on Price.
After all, Bergevin gives the biggest contract in the NHL for a Defenseman and for a Goalie.....

Prior to his contract signing he posted a 92.8% saves percentages and a 2.16 GAA over the last 4 seasons combined.
Of all the G who played at least 80 games, the closest to him are at 92.2% and 2.19 GAA. Of course he was gonna get paid for that and not "a good friendly contract".

Would you decline the best goaltender to save 2-3 millions on the Cap or 1 or 2 year of terms.
It's that kind of thinking tha tput Radulov and Markov off this team.

Is it a good contract? Nope.
But then again, there's very very very few good contracts on this team.

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
Min games played 5 (#1's)

Price
Advanced stats 5vs5 (30 goalies)
GSAA - 30th
HDS% - 27th
MDS% - 30th
LDS% - 12th
S% - 30th

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So Pierre Rinfret was on with JC Lajoie and he said that Price had an altercation with a teammate in the dressing room. Lajoie corroborated the story, saying he heard the same info. They didn't say which teammate it was with but insinuated that it was in Minnesota.

Take this with a grain of salt because Rinfret and Lajoie aren't the best sources of information.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So Pierre Rinfret was on with JC Lajoie and he said that Price had an altercation with a teammate in the dressing room. Lajoie corroborated the story, saying he heard the same info. They didn't say which teammate it was with but insinuated that it was in Minnesota.

Take this with a grain of salt because Rinfret and Lajoie aren't the best sources of information.

Man , Lajoie is such an hypocrite...

I also heard today that someone spotted Carey in the radiology section of some MTL hospital...

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Can't wait for a journalist to show up at Price's house to see if he's really injured.

Might be some HF posters there as well. That's been several who refused to believe Price had an injury even after watching his physical difficulties in net and hearing the team announce his injury publicly.

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
Prior to his contract signing he posted a 92.8% saves percentages and a 2.16 GAA over the last 4 seasons combined.
Of all the G who played at least 80 games, the closest to him are at 92.2% and 2.19 GAA. Of course he was gonna get paid for that and not "a good friendly contract".
Looking at advance stats prior to this year, in the last 4, including playoffs

GSAA 2nd
HDS% 1st
MDS% 26th
LDS% 15th

GP 19th
S% 1st

Those are price best years, numbers go down when you add the rest, doesnt seem like the best in the league to me, why would they give him crosby money ?One 1st all star and one ECF in 10 years, I just dont get it ?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Looking at advance stats prior to this year, in the last 4, including playoffs

GSAA 2nd
HDS% 1st
MDS% 26th
LDS% 15th

GP 19th
S% 1st

Those are price best years, numbers go down when you add the rest, doesnt seem like the best in the league to me, why would they give him crosby money ?One 1st all star and one ECF in 10 years, I just dont get it ?

I am somewhat on your side and enjoy your post, but over the past 4 years Price has been in the running for best in the league. Key is in the running. No problem with including guys like Rask/Holtby/Dubnyk/Bob in there as well.

If Price was making his salary he has now it wouldn't be an issue. The problem is its stupid to pay any goalie that amount, especially one that has never won a game in the 3rd round in the NHL. Teams are not investing in goalies and the last decade of cup winners have shown you don't need a high priced goalie to win a cup.

I only think Price is overrated in the sense that he has been put on such a pedestal that its like no one else is close to him. Even Crosby has a debate about Ovechkin or Malkin being better than him, but with Price no other goalie can match him and they all play on super amazing teams that are the best but Price does it all by himself. Goalie talent is so saturated that there isn't a lot of difference between the 1st starter and the 15th and even the 1st and 30th.

A guy like Dubnyk can't crack it as an AHL goalie for us, and then all of a sudden he is putting up almost Vezna season. Bob wins a Vezna, stinks and then wins a 2nd. Price is superhuman, and this year he is the worst goalie in the league. Maybe its because so much of the game is out of the goalies control and there are so many outside variables that effect the goalie.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Oh boy, Fournier the salesman is telling Louis (the guy who calls every single station in montreal 2-3-4 times a day) that Even if Lingren is doing well next game, Price should be there Saturday.

This is why we cant have good things in mtl

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Oh boy, Fournier the salesman is telling Louis (the guy who calls every single station in montreal 2-3-4 times a day) that Even if Lingren is doing well next game, Price should be there Saturday.

This is why we cant have good things in mtl

I can't stand Louis.

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
I am somewhat on your side and enjoy your post, but over the past 4 years Price has been in the running for best in the league. Key is in the running. No problem with including guys like Rask/Holtby/Dubnyk/Bob in there as well.

If Price was making his salary he has now it wouldn't be an issue. The problem is its stupid to pay any goalie that amount, especially one that has never won a game in the 3rd round in the NHL. Teams are not investing in goalies and the last decade of cup winners have shown you don't need a high priced goalie to win a cup.

I only think Price is overrated in the sense that he has been put on such a pedestal that its like no one else is close to him. Even Crosby has a debate about Ovechkin or Malkin being better than him, but with Price no other goalie can match him and they all play on super amazing teams that are the best but Price does it all by himself. Goalie talent is so saturated that there isn't a lot of difference between the 1st starter and the 15th and even the 1st and 30th.

A guy like Dubnyk can't crack it as an AHL goalie for us, and then all of a sudden he is putting up almost Vezna season. Bob wins a Vezna, stinks and then wins a 2nd. Price is superhuman, and this year he is the worst goalie in the league. Maybe its because so much of the game is out of the goalies control and there are so many outside variables that effect the goalie.
I appreciate people who read my post whether they like em or not is up to them I dont mind either way ;)

Maybe getting an average goalie at 4-5M +rookie 2-3M backup might be safer
get one of the goalies in a hot streak in the playoffs...then switch if he fails...I dont know

According to votes
2007-2016
Price Vezina trophy pts and others during that span

Brodeur 113+32
Nabokov 106+20+9
Lund 13+14+23+120+55+5+6=236
Bob 110+1+138=249
Lehtonen 1
Giguere 11
Kipp 7+3+2+1
Backstrom 6+31+1
Lu 5+30+6+1+33+14
Huet 4
Price 2+10+1+26+144+19=202
Thomas 2+127+104=233
Osgood 1
Mason 33+3
Ward 11+4
Vokoun 1
Miller 126
Bryz 79+9
Anderson 9+22
Rask 3+12+103
Varlamov 90
Bishop 32+51
Howard 2+9
Emery 6
Crawford 5+3+10
Schneider 10
Gibson 3
Hammond 1
Hiller 3
Halak 1+3
Rine 84+42+60
Dubnyk 28+8
Feury 1+1
Quick 1+63+9+1+36
Talbot 1+17
Niemi 1+46
Smith 35
Elliott 5+3
Jones 3+1
Holtby 26+140+87=253

The supposed experts dont seem to find Price the best compared to his peers, both bob and holt get more pts than price for less career years and lund more point over that span, thomas in a short span more pts, in the regular season were price is supposed to be the best
not including this year, only voted one point+ in 6/10 years...144pts 2014...58pts in 9years...

Looking at the legends of modern era vezinas first ten years compared to prices 202pts/10years
They all played at the same time for a couple years in their first 10years brodeur never won during haseks first ten years while play played but he still managed to get 247pts in 9 years and win the vezina the next year at 131pts, price has 58pts in 9 years and a vezina at 144pts

Brodeur 5+7+31+73+57+17+8+42+7+131=378
1993-2002

Roy 1+2+8+87+91+44+95+3+34=365
1985-1994

Hasek
99-104-9-120-126-73-4-85=620
1991-2000

Not even close...

Maybe top 3 in the last four excluding the playoffs and this years...does top 3 deserve 10.5M over 8 years with no playoffs success... thats a huge risk for a franchise to take

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
- Price's current contract is listed as a NMC, NTC (15 teams) * This was listed this way even before his new contract was signed I believe as we were forced to protect him in the Expansion draft.
- Price's next contract is listed as a NMC

If you are correct that the NMC was extended to his current deal, then Price controls everything. There is no list of teams unless he make a list. He can put 5 teams or 20 teams. That would be his choice as he has that NMC.
Price said only three teams

Calgary Stampeders, Houston Colt .45s or Dallas Cowboys

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
His cap hit pretty much is a NTC. WIth his injury problems no one will want him at that price.

Well either way they made his nmc retroactive so it would be nearly impossible to trade him. That being said our GM is really good at making sure the other side always comes out with something extra for their trouble. Price wants 10.5M until he's 39 and even though no other goalie makes anything close to that and only one generational Center makes slightly more in his prime years but our GM sees no issue there. We will help you out with Drouin, you want our best and only D blue chip prospect? Sure! Want a 2nd in case he doesn't develop quickly enough? Done deal! Shea Weber you say? All you want is a Norris winning PMD that is 4 years younger and isn't signed until he is 40?

Our GM is potentially the worst negotiator in the NHL. Even when dealing from a position of strength he manages to come out looking foolish.

I truly want to be happy the Habs are winning games but I know long term and in the playoffs it won't end well. I feel as if strong management could pull off a quick rebuild.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad