Player Discussion Carey Price - Need a Jesus Price resurrection [MOD WARNING 526]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FEFAN

Oct 19, 2017
Micronesia
The turncoat media and fefans will run price out of town. He will become the most hated hab since gomezzz and will be traded with retained salary. What an unmitigated disaster of a contract! I feel sorry for price, but he will have to live like an hermit just like before, until he gets out of town. I see a lot of Patrice Brisebois treatment coming, lots of Bronx cheers and booing at the bell centre for the 10.5m$ man.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The turncoat media and fefans will run price out of town. He will become the most hated hab since gomezzz and will be traded with retained salary. What an unmitigated disaster of a contract! I feel sorry for price, but he will have to live like an hermit just like before, until he gets out of town. I see a lot of Patrice Brisebois treatment coming, lots of Bronx cheers and booing at the bell centre for the 10.5m$ man.

Yup, and the first to boo will be the ones constantly whining people arent positive enough towards the Habs... :nod:

Reactions: Habs178

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Goaltending is a very volatile position. Every year some relative unknown posts amazing numbers. The reason to invest in goaltending is to make sure that year after year you’re getting amazing numbers which is what Price has consistently delivered. Otherwise you end up with the Hamburgler. It’s certainly not an investment you can analyze in small two-three week blocks. There might even be an off year. The second guessers will jump ship on Lindgren after one bad game because they are highly emotional and overreact to the most recent data (which as history has proven is unreliable in longer term planning).

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Or he could, you know, play well

Yup, and the first to boo will be the ones constantly whining people arent positive enough towards the Habs... :nod:

Would live to hear the logic behind this

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Price will rebound for sure but will he ever attain his level of 2014 to 2017 ever again? I mean he was as good as it gets during that time and I know he will rebound to around .920 sv% but is that worth $10.5M???? I don't think so and I don't think a lot of teams in the league would think so as well. It will be a very hard contract to move unless we take back bad salaries in return.

PS: Carey Price is the main reason this team was competitive for this long and it pains me to say all of this.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The medias , especially french MSM , don't like big contract.
Habs could get Tavares at 8 x 10.5M$ and they eventually turn on him cause he's "not worth that".

The narrative is that Price's contrat will block the Habs from getting top players
They would put that money somewhere else.

But the truth is a good goaltender still cost around 6M.....so that's a big saving of $4.5M.

We have $9M in freaking Cap Space right now and nobody to take that money, but nevermind that.
That extra $4.5M will destroy the team and his abilities to get top players, right?
Cause we all know how Cap Space is the only thing blocking Bergevin to improve the team, right?

That's the most stupid thing to think that Price's contract will block Bergevin from doing anything.
He had tons of money available to him over the years and for the most part, has done only crap move with it and never been able to attract any big name.

Oh and Alzner, Weber, Petry and Schlemko will cost $20M for the next 3 years.
That's more than Subban, Josi, Ekholm and Ellis (19,25M)
That's more than Hedman, Stralman, Coburn and Girardi (not even including Sergahev)
That's more than the entire D-squad of Los Angeles
The entire Ottawa squad cost $20,5M.

But that 4,5M extra to Price is "the thing" that will be the major problem...

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
One bad contract doesn't ruin a franchise. A melange of bad contracts and poor drafting can. Every team is wasting at least $4m on some form of dead weight, it's just a question of how lean the rest of your salary is.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
This Price situation just prove what I knew for a long time.

Habs fans are the WORST fans in the league. AINEC.

We have some knowledgeble fans but 70% of our freaking fan base are hockey idiots.

Some people laugh at HFboards posters but the cream of the stupidity is not even here.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
How can people say in the same breath that Price is all that but they hate his contract ? If Price was as good as his contract you wouldn't care about it. I never thought Subban's deal was an albatross. Not on day 1 or until he was traded. He was worth it. Price ? Not really. Only if he plays like he did once in his career, and hasn't since.

No goalie is worth that contract. You can ride a hot goalie to playoff success. You can't ride David Desharnais to playoff success.

This management group looks at the game played in the late 90s and 00s and thinks it still applies. It doesn't. The Habs would be better off WITHOUT Price then with Price and this contract.

Reactions: AnctilNDG

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Here is a question about Price's current contract vs the contract that kicks in next year. How does it work when you have a situation like this if we were trying to Trade Price this year? Could we trade him under his current contract rules (NTC, NMC... 15 no trade team list) and the team acquiring him inherits the NMC in his next contract or are we stuck with the NMC now because of the next contract rules? I know that with Subban, we had a deadline before his NMC kick in (under the same contract however) but the Preds had option to decline the NMC.

Not sure I explained this right but does anybody know how this works with Price's current contract vs next contract and what legally the Habs can do (if they wanted to part ways). I can't imagine that we can trade him as a rental this year and then he returns back to us next year right? That would be just weird and never has happened before but is it possible under the legal terms of the contract?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Here is a question about Price's current contract vs the contract that kicks in next year. How does it work when you have a situation like this if we were trying to Trade Price this year? Could we trade him under his current contract rules (NTC, NMC... 15 no trade team list) and the team acquiring him inherits the NMC in his next contract or are we stuck with the NMC now because of the next contract rules? I know that with Subban, we had a deadline before his NMC kick in (under the same contract however) but the Preds had option to decline the NMC.

Not sure I explained this right but does anybody know how this works with Price's current contract vs next contract and what legally the Habs can do (if they wanted to part ways). I can't imagine that we can trade him as a rental this year and then he returns back to us next year right? That would be just weird and never has happened before but is it possible under the legal terms of the contract?

His NMC on his extension has moved over to his current contract. This is an option when extending a player under the current CBA. Subban’s contract had it written in when his NMC would kick in. And you’re talking about a loan as opposed to a rental in the bolded. And no, that’s not allowed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His NMC on his extension has moved over to his current contract. This is an option when extending a player under the current CBA. We didn’t give Subban that option. And you’re talking about a loan as opposed to a rental in the bolded. And no, that’s not allowed.

Subban was traded after his contract started but before his NMC kicked in I believe. It's also funny that the Preds had option do decline the NMC. Price is a different situation because it overlaps two contracts. So are you 100% sure that his NMC was extended to his current deal?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Subban was traded after his contract started but before his NMC kicked in I believe. It's also funny that the Preds had option do decline the NMC. Price is a different situation because it overlaps two contracts. So are you 100% sure that his NMC was extended to his current deal?

Sportsnet reported on Saturday that his NMC was in fact active. You’re allowed to carry the NMC over, I imagine the GM and team signing him has to agree with it, which it sounds like Bergevin did.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
according to what Tony Marinaro of TSN690 reports, Carey Price is indeed hurt and he was seen at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal on Monday morning visiting the radiology department, where Habs players are sent for X-Rays.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sportsnet reported on Saturday that his NMC was in fact active. You’re allowed to carry the NMC over, I imagine the GM and team signing him has to agree with it, which it sounds like Bergevin did.

Interesting. So if anybody is traded with a NMC and the player waives his right (or like with Subban's case, it didn't' kick in yet), the team acquiring the player has options to decline every time? Or is this unique in individual contracts?

Also, I always find it confusing when you go on Cap Friendly and it says NMC, NTC (list of teams). How can you have both? Is the difference with being sent down to the minors? If you have a NMC & NTC, you cant' be sent to the AHL but you have a no trade list of teams?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can't wait for a journalist to show up at Price's house to see if he's really injured.

I always said that if you want to cash in on a contract, you are setting a target on your back so you better be prepared to live up to it. Imagine the treatment towards Price if he took a $8.9M AAV instead? He still is likely held up to a very high standard but the heat he takes when he struggles is less IMO.

- Clear Salary after taxes ($10.5M): $4.9M
- Clear Salary after taxes ($8.9M): $4.2M

Is that 700k worth it? Even is he is able to offset taxes, is $1M worth the extra pressure? All he did with that contract is put a huge target on his back. He deserves all the criticism he gets IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnctilNDG

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
10.5 million in a 30 year old goal tender? For the next 8 years? Lmfao A 12 year old with Down’s syndrome would decline the deal. “ it’s baaaad really bad”!

It's not as bad as you think. Its a huge contract from age 31-38 but the salary cap goes up and it's very close to Lundqvist in terms of % of the Salary cap when his contract started in 2014 with a $69M salary cap. However, It's about $2.5M more than what I wanted

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Interesting. So if anybody is traded with a NMC and the player waives his right (or like with Subban's case, it didn't' kick in yet), the team acquiring the player has options to decline every time? Or is this unique in individual contracts?

Also, I always find it confusing when you go on Cap Friendly and it says NMC, NTC (list of teams). How can you have both? Is the difference with being sent down to the minors? If you have a NMC & NTC, you cant' be sent to the AHL but you have a no trade list of teams?

Price has to consent to the trade. And I believe they come up with a list of a certain amount of teams he will be traded too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price has to consent to the trade. And I believe they come up with a list of a certain amount of teams he will be traded too.

- Price's current contract is listed as a NMC, NTC (15 teams) * This was listed this way even before his new contract was signed I believe as we were forced to protect him in the Expansion draft.
- Price's next contract is listed as a NMC

If you are correct that the NMC was extended to his current deal, then Price controls everything. There is no list of teams unless he make a list. He can put 5 teams or 20 teams. That would be his choice as he has that NMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad