Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part V]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFamousFart

Dec 25, 2020
Bergevin is likely the great hockey brain behind their team, but as an asset management point of view he has created a catastrophe and made himself look like clueless amateur.

- HOW is it possible that Danault joins the Kings (of all teams!) for a mere 5,5M?
- How can you leave the center situation open until the end of August in seller's market?

Now it's time to see what he really can do, since I sure as hell can't figure out a single decent way to fix this.
Yes, super poor asset management. As i said before, i hope other teams start to throw out offersheets on players that would make the other team hurt if matched or screw it up by leading the contract straight to UFA etc. This way it would add pressure on teams to sign these RFA:s before july 1st.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Teräväinen and Granlund both were weak high IQ players that took a while to be effective in the NHL, I don't think Kotkaniemi is anything like them when it comes to style of play.

Yes, stylistically different; but the perceived weaknesses sound very similar

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I fire Bergevin and the whole contract/cap analysis team for putting the business in this vulnerable position

Well if you think about it, Bergevin giving Aho the contract more than helped Carolina in having Aho affordable for many years to come. It was a blessing in disguise. And most owners do not take things personally. But Dondon is from a new breed of owners and he did. His response more than anything is what make things dangerous for years to come for the NHL. Before this, revenge was never on the table, it was business as usual with the exception of two or three times. It was a gentlemen game. For example I don't remembe Nashville taking revenge on the Flyers for them giving Weber an offer sheet. In fact Poile continued doing business with the Flyers like nothing had happened. Hell Logically, giving Aho 8 is pretty sound. Giving KK 6 is not. All the Canes had to do was put 3 million more and keep Hamilton. Now they may get KK but he's got three centers ahead of him.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Dundon took it personally because Montreal made it personal. They attacked him as being cheap/broke and vulnerable. Almost any owner would have taken it personal.

It still blows my mind how they couldn't comprehend that a literal billionaire could easily break off a $20 million signing bonus. That's like a distinct misunderstanding of math.

To count to 1 million (1 number per second) it would take you 11 days. To count to 1 billion it would take you 30 YEARS. Somehow they failed to understand this difference.

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
This isn't great for either side, but in totality Bergevin looks bad.

He did Waddell a favour w/ Aho then got bent over here.

Kotkaniemi isn't worth this money but his absence creates a big hole for MTL. Its probably worth giving him up for a 1st & 3rd, but can they replace him? They don't want to take a step back.

For Carolina its a steep price to pay. I doubt they're doing this if it wasn't for the Aho offersheet.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Do you not see any chance of him signing a longer contract with mtl with less AAV (as wich speculated the case being with carolina) after (or january 2022) his 1 year contract? his potential did not magically dissappear, he still is younger than poehling for example who i think has shown way less.

I'm not in his shoes but it seems unlikely he would offer a friendly deal to either team.

For me, it's the combination of the lack of roots, both markets not being particularly attractive destinations for NHLers, as well as his age and family situation.

He's a young guy, single, no kids in school. The home is what ties a lot of NHLers. But the young guys, they basically live in their suitcases and aren't afraid to move. Hockey-wise, the Canadiens are not in good shape. It's not a top-tier destination. Top paid player is locked for many years and was passed by the Kraken in the expansion draft. Other key player and team captain is near retirement. There's not much to look forward to. I don't know how Kotkaniemi and the people who counsel him see this... but I feel Kotkaniemi could have better opportunities.

Of course, it's not like you 100% pick and choose where you play as a UFA but he'll want to see who is interested. Tax-wise too, there will be better destinations.

As for the Hurricanes... it seems way too soon to me. You don't get married after the first date. He'll want to see how he likes it there... and by the time he begins figuring it out, it will already be free agency. I personally wouldn't do it. The closer you are to that UFA status, the more you want to test the waters.

This is the perfect contract for this guy. How many players drafted 3rd overall get to be UFA at 22? Or he will get a really handsome QO. Kotkaniemi is set, thanks to the Hurricanes. Now, we just have to know who is going to pay the bill! :p

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
This isn't great for either side, but in totality Bergevin looks bad.

He did Waddell a favour w/ Aho
then got bent over here.

Kotkaniemi isn't worth this money but his absence creates a big hole for MTL. Its probably worth giving him up for a 1st & 3rd, but can they replace him? They don't want to take a step back.

For Carolina its a steep price to pay. I doubt they're doing this if it wasn't for the Aho offersheet.

So the Hurricanes are risking being on the hook with that horrible albatross offer sheet because Bergevin did them a favor?

Yeah, that makes total sense!

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Dundon took it personally because Montreal made it personal. They attacked him as being cheap/broke and vulnerable. Almost any owner would have taken it personal.

It still blows my mind how they couldn't comprehend that a literal billionaire could easily break off a $20 million signing bonus. That's like a distinct misunderstanding of math.

To count to 1 million (1 number per second) it would take you 11 days. To count to 1 billion it would take you 30 YEARS. Somehow they failed to understand this difference.

Original offer sheet to Aho was a serious hit at the Hurricanes brand and Dundon, since I bet I'm not the only one thinking "It's a really smart move by Montreal, if they know Dundon is so poor he can't pay the frontloaded contract". They paid the contract, but the idea that Dundon and Hurricanes had limited resources stayed up in discussion. It could have had an effect on their sponsor deals, player signing and god knows what.

This was a perfect way to fix the damage done to the brand and personal credibility of Dundon. The 20$ signing bonus has such a brutal symbolic meaning in the current situation. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canes front office would still be on it, trying to increase the effects by for example trying to outbid the Habs on Dvorak.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Original offer sheet to Aho was a serious hit at the Hurricanes brand and Dundon, since I bet I'm not the only one thinking "It's a really smart move by Montreal, if they know Dundon is so poor he can't pay the frontloaded contract". They paid the contract, but the idea that Dundon and Hurricanes had limited resources stayed up in discussion. It could have had an effect on their sponsor deals, player signing and god knows what.

This was a perfect way to fix the damage done to the brand and personal credibility of Dundon. The 20$ signing bonus has such a brutal symbolic meaning in the current situation. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canes front office would still be on it, trying to increase the effects by trying to outbid on Habs on Dvorak.
A 6m cap hit and unprotected first in a stacked draft for KK. Canes certainly paying full blown retail on KK

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
A 6m cap hit and unprotected first in a stacked draft for KK. Canes certainly paying full blown retail on KK

Habs haven't received a single positive thing yet, all that has happened so far is that Canes and Habs have had tons of media attention which is looks primarily benefit the Canes and hurt the Habs.

The franchise value of Canes was 440M in 2020 according to google. If you can get significant increase to it with this, an single 6M$ contract is pissing money.

edit: I'm not just saying it will increase franchise value, I'm claiming it will skyrocket it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
3 years in the league, nearly 2 of which during a global pandemic in the most demanding hockey market in the world. Dude is probably lonely and low on confidence. I’d bet anything he skyrockets in confidence in going to a team with fellow Finns, in a lower pressure market, coming into a season where the world is starting to return to some normalcy.

As much as Covid impacted every player, I would respectfully submit that it wasn't the preponderant factor in how the player has performed to date. He should have never been rushed to the NHL as he was, would have been much better off pursuing his development in Finland. Habs exacerbated their mistake by the way they chose to deploy him. He was put in a position to fail.

The rest probably has to do with whatever his ceiling is once he's developed and perhaps Carolina have made a different assessment than the Habs about what the player can be. A change of scenery is the best outcome at this point and the player has certainly made a clear case for that by signing the OS.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
The Habs need to match this, don't they? It's only one year, he was the third overall pick and has shown a lot of promise, you're gonna lose him for futures cause you can't move some money around for one year? Probably not very good futures either!

Reactions: TheFamousFart

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The Habs need to match this, don't they? It's only one year, he was the third overall pick and has shown a lot of promise, you're gonna lose him for futures cause you can't move some money around for one year? Probably not very good futures either!
It all depends on if they can land Dvorak or someone similar (if there is anyone on the market, I guess Strome from NYR). They can't start the season without Kotkaniemi with their current center depth.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Lets all understand THIS KK has NOT proven anything yet, everybody is assuming KK will become a great player and the canes are stealing him from MB. The habs have seen KK play for 3 years, yes he still MIGHT pan out but he has NOT progressed in 2 years. Stop assuming KK is a 40 goal 1st center already, HE IS NOT. It will take 3 years to see exactly just who won this theft. All I can tell you is RIGHT NOW all MB has to do is find a center that beats 5 goals in 56 games for less then 6 mil. Might trade, might just sign a big swede from europe and keep the 2 picks, lets just see what MB has up his sleve tomorrow.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lets all understand THIS KK has NOT proven anything yet, everybody is assuming KK will become a great player and the canes are stealing him from MB. The habs have seen KK play for 3 years, yes he still MIGHT pan out but he has NOT progressed in 2 years. Stop assuming KK is a 40 goal 1st center already, HE IS NOT. It will take 3 years to see exactly just who won this theft. All I can tell you is RIGHT NOW all MB has to do is find a center that beats 5 goals in 56 games for less then 6 mil. Might trade, might just sign a big swede from europe and keep the 2 picks, lets just see what MB has up his sleve tomorrow.
I'm not that high on KK. He has many holes in his game. He had like 5 goals and 20 points. Not strong on the puck. Couldn't win a faceoff to save his soul. Ducharme benched him last 2 playoff games. Best 2 games we played.

Caphit of 6 million and a first in a good draft is crazy over payment.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So the Hurricanes are risking being on the hook with that horrible albatross offer sheet because Bergevin did them a favor?

Yeah, that makes total sense!
You keep mentioning the big bad contract as if there isn't already an extension at a lower rate that brings the entire value (including offer sheet) to around $4m AAV, and that's coming from Montreal insiders.

Reactions: Sigurd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad