Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part V]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Depending on where they slot him I suspect he puts up 40-60 points. If he is on the lower end of that spectrum he resigns a 4 year deal around 4-5. If he knocks it out of the park 55 points plus he likely signs 6-8 year deal in the range of 6-7.

Kid is 21 6”3 and 200 plus. He does have a two way game and if not jerked around I think a good 2C, not elite but good.

If the Habs expect that, he will be retained.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He will never be a 60 pts player.

Most likely in the 45-55 range in his best years.
I checked, he did get 8 points in 10 games from November 1-19, 2018.

Yeah, I think one or 2 50 point seasons in his prime. But who knows maybe he'll be a wicked winger for Carolina.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If KK is as underwhelming of a player as Habs fans makes him out to be (post offer sheet ) I don’t see what the dilemma is ? Let him walk . If he is a 30-40 point 3rd lineC at the most then I for sure walk. Overpaying that much for someone that is easily replaceable is a no brainer. But that is if you truly believe he is 100% not going to be anything special. Habs fans say he had potential to be good before the offer sheet now he is crap and always will be crap. I dot get it .

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If KK is as underwhelming of a player as Habs fans makes him out to be (post offer sheet ) I don’t see what the dilemma is ? Let him walk . If he is a 30-40 point 3rd lineC at the most then I for sure walk. Overpaying that much for someone that is easily replaceable is a no brainer. But that is if you truly believe he is 100% not going to be anything special. Habs fans say he had potential to be good before the offer sheet now he is crap and always will be crap. I dot get it .
He might be good still. We *were* all holding out hope. He might not hit his potential next season either. Or the year after. Might take 4, 5 more years, like Todd bertuzzi.

He just hasn't really shown a lot of potential to hit 50 points so far. A lot of us second guessed the pick (in hindsight) the past couple years... so do you cut bait, or double down?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What's to get? He's more hope thenreality.

A lot of us didn't want Kk but once picked, he's ours and we hoped that he would be a 1C. Then we lowered our expectations to 2C.

I never believed he's going to amount to anything but since he's wearing a Habs sweater, hope reigned supreme. Now, he's dead to me and I couldn't care less what he does. I absolutely don't want him back because now, it's a clown show.

Reactions: Ciao

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Every team wouldnt want to see their first round prospect been claimed by an opponent. Even in waivers. But at the end. Management has a salary cap to manage and they will have trouble to sign and resign everyone next year if they match KK offer. I watched every game this year. (Thanks for pandemic). Obviously, KK didnt show to me a real improvement since the beginning of the year until the end. In fact, His best year was his first one, in 2018. since, his progression curve just stall. Thats happen. Why? Many reason. He been select as a project to be a second centerman. Maybe he will. But the last game I watch from him in june. He was really far from it. SLow reaction on a fast game. Bad accuracy on his shot. Realease ugly. Board battle were very difficult. Yeah there is place to improvement. But how much there is room? He is young. But clock is thicking. Thats a young league. I would expect a better return from a 3 oa pick honestly after 3 years in the league.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Every team wouldnt want to see their first round prospect been claimed by an opponent. Even in waivers. But at the end. Management has a salary cap to manage and they will have trouble to sign and resign everyone next year if they match KK offer. I watched every game this year. (Thanks for pandemic). Obviously, KK didnt show to me a real improvement since the beginning of the year until the end. In fact, His best year was his first one, in 2018. since, his progression curve just stall. Thats happen. Why? Many reason. He been select as a project to be a second centerman. Maybe he will. But the last game I watch from him in june. He was really far from it. SLow reaction on a fast game. Bad accuracy on his shot. Realease ugly. Board battle were very difficult. Yeah there is place to improvement. But how much there is room? He is young. But clock is thicking. Thats a young league. I would expect a better return from a 3 oa pick honestly after 3 years in the league.

3 years in the league, nearly 2 of which during a global pandemic in the most demanding hockey market in the world. Dude is probably lonely and low on confidence. I’d bet anything he skyrockets in confidence in going to a team with fellow Finns, in a lower pressure market, coming into a season where the world is starting to return to some normalcy.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
3 years in the league, nearly 2 of which during a global pandemic in the most demanding hockey market in the world. Dude is probably lonely and low on confidence. I’d bet anything he skyrockets in confidence in going to a team with fellow Finns, in a lower pressure market, coming into a season where the world is starting to return to some normalcy.
He already plays with Fins Arturri Lehknonen and Joel Armia who is from the same 80,000 person town as Kotko. He had a poster of him in his room growing up. Not sure how much of a difference Carolina would make if that didn't help.

Kotkaniemi a big fan of newcomer Armia growing up

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
None of 2019-20 was during the pandemic. Everything was completely normal, until it wasn't, then the season ended.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019

Lehkonen, Armia, Leskinen, Niemi. He's had plenty of countrymates during his three years here. This isn't a Finnish book discussion club... play hockey!

What exactly was too demanding for him? Expectations for Kotkaniemi were reasonable. It's not like the crowd was on his case or anything.

There wasn't much pressure. But guess what... there is now, with the high profile contract he just signed. I hope for him he can deal with that, because he is the third highest Hurricane player now. There will be expectations after this clown show.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
He already plays with Fins Arturri Lehknonen and Joel Armia who is from the 80,000 person town as Kotko. He had a poster of him in his room growing up. Not sure how much of a difference Carolina would make if that didn't help.

Kotkaniemi a big fan of newcomer Armia growing up

Look, I’ll be the first to admit the Finnish angle of Carolina is being way overhyped. It’s possible the two Finns in question might not jive as well as the two Finns he will be joining in Carolina though, and it doesn’t negate the market and covid stress he has dealt with since his solid 18 season

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Look, I’ll be the first to admit the Finnish angle of Carolina is being way overhyped. It’s possible the two Finns in question might not jive as well as the two Finns he will be joining in Carolina though, and it doesn’t negate the market and covid stress he has dealt with since his solid 18 season

It's not just about the Finnish players on the Canes roster currently though. It's about the organization's deep ties within Finnish hockey in general, and how Finnish players just seem to fit right in to how the Canes play as a team.

In fact, I'm not sure the Canes have ever had a Finnish player that didn't live up to expectations. And there have been lots of them over the years.

Reactions: AD Skinner

TheFamousFart

Dec 25, 2020
Lehkonen, Armia, Leskinen, Niemi. He's had plenty of countrymates during his three years here. This isn't a Finnish book discussion club... play hockey!

What exactly was too demanding for him? Expectations for Kotkaniemi were reasonable. It's not like the crowd was on his case or anything.

There wasn't much pressure. But guess what... there is now, with the high profile contract he just signed. I hope for him he can deal with that, because he is the third highest Hurricane player now. There will be expectations after this clown show.
As you seem to really dislike KK, how will you feel when they match?

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
If I’m Montreal, I’m seeing what it would take to get gourde or McCann out of Seattle. Droning plus 2nd and 3rd for gourde? Droning to Seattle actually makes some sense since they want to tank anyway

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
As you seem to really dislike KK, how will you feel when they match?

I don't dislike Kotkaniemi. Where do you get that? You must confuse me with some of the people bluntly saying he sucks.

What I dislike is the package he now comes with. That is, his potential, and his current skill level don't match up with his gross contract. He's now worth very, very little, if anything because of that.

And to answer your other question: If (not when) the Canadiens matched, I would to be very, very disappointed. The compensation picks are worth more than Kotkaniemi currently does, on top of providing a lot more flexibility. Whoever ends up with this contract is the only team that's losing when all is said and done. I hope Bergevin sees that.

Reactions: Habs Icing

TheFamousFart

Dec 25, 2020
I don't dislike Kotkaniemi. Where do you get that? You must confuse me with some of the people bluntly saying he sucks.

What I dislike is the package he now comes with. That is, his potential, and his current skill level don't match up with his gross contract. He's now worth very, very little, if anything because of that.

And to answer your other question: If (not when) the Canadiens matched, I would to be very, very disappointed. The compensation picks are worth more than Kotkaniemi currently does, on top of providing a lot more flexibility. Whoever ends up with this contract is the only team that's losing when all is said and done. I hope Bergevin sees that.
Do you not see any chance of him signing a longer contract with mtl with less AAV (as wich speculated the case being with carolina) after (or january 2022) his 1 year contract? his potential did not magically dissappear, he still is younger than poehling for example who i think has shown way less.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The talk from Habs fans about a 21-year-old Kotkaniemi is so similar to the talk from Blackhawks fans on a 21-year-old Teuvo Teravainen, it makes my head spin.

"needs to grow a pair"
"Needs to get stronger"
"I don't care if he's only 21, he's an NHLer and it's time to grow up"
"He's afraid"
"He's selfish"
"he can't stay on his feet"
"He's just not very good and it's hard to see a situation where he ever will be"

etc. etc. etc

I believe the Canes front office sees this as a chance to duplicate the success they had with Teravainen; they are completely different players but have very similar early-career obstacles to overcome.

Last edited:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Fully agreed with your reasoning. For Bergevin it s a loss whatever he does because of the fact he loses 3OA three years post draft or overpays a 3C and screws up his cap structure. Since the 3OA is only PR now, and a sunk cost, I d renounce screwing up my cap structure in the future.

That being said, there is a serious draft and development issue which has to be solved. And as mentioned when Price signed his extension, this contract may prevent the Habs from building anything meaningful in the future anyway, so I really don t see what can be done in the next five years except if Price can be playoff price during 50 games per season

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I fire Bergevin and the whole contract/cap analysis team for putting the business in this vulnerable position

Bergevin is likely the great hockey brain behind their team, but as an asset management point of view he has created a catastrophe and made himself look like clueless amateur.

- HOW is it possible that Danault joins the Kings (of all teams!) for a mere 5,5M?
- How can you leave the center situation open until the end of August in seller's market?

Now it's time to see what he really can do, since I sure as hell can't figure out a single decent way to fix this.

Reactions: TheFamousFart

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
The talk from Habs fans about a 21-year-old Kotkaniemi is so similar to the talk from Blackhawks fans on a 21-year-old Teuvo Teravainen, it makes my head spin.

Teräväinen and Granlund both were weak high IQ players that took a while to be effective in the NHL, I don't think Kotkaniemi is anything like them when it comes to style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad