Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part V]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I think one of the reasons this thread is so popular is seeing KK supporters who defended him to the point of saying he was a better pick than Brady or Quinn and that he's young and still saw him as a 60-70+ points guy, now are instead bashing him and using the same things they defended against him.
TBF emotions can often blur reality but some of these takes are literally a complete 180 from comments made a day before the OS.
The one thing I think people are fixating on too much is the QO. If next season he's not worthy still of 6 million I doubt his agent would tell him to take another one-year deal over a cheaper multi-year contract. It was an inflated offer and was done to get him for cheaper than the cost of trading for him. Next season unless he explodes his agent would be an idiot to turn down say a 5 year deal at fair market value for another 1 year 6 million deal.

Fair market deals happen when a player is loyal to his team. Kotkaniemi hasn't proven to be loyal with the Habs, why would he be loyal to the Canes? In the scenario you mentionned he would probably sign to the highest bidder as a UFA. The highest bidder would probably have a hole in the lineup which would entice them to overpay him as a UFA.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think one of the reasons this thread is so popular is seeing KK supporters who defended him to the point of saying he was a better pick than Brady or Quinn and that he's young and still saw him as a 60-70+ points guy, now are instead bashing him and using the same things they defended against him.
TBF emotions can often blur reality but some of these takes are literally a complete 180 from comments made a day before the OS.
The one thing I think people are fixating on too much is the QO. If next season he's not worthy still of 6 million I doubt his agent would tell him to take another one-year deal over a cheaper multi-year contract. It was an inflated offer and was done to get him for cheaper than the cost of trading for him. Next season unless he explodes his agent would be an idiot to turn down say a 5 year deal at fair market value for another 1 year 6 million deal.
Sure, but whoever has his rights still has little leverage. If they feel Buffalo for example would give him an extra year or million or 2, why not wait to sign till July.?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It is a huge assumption that Kotkaniemi will ever be tendered the Qualified Offer of 1 x $6.1M and that he ever gets to decide whether he takes it or not. The setup is deviced as such that if he is still unsigned on June 30, the follow-up plan by the team has already failed.

... or he has bursted and is playing above the 6.1M level.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

TheFamousFart

Dec 25, 2020
It is a huge assumption that Kotkaniemi will ever be tendered the Qualified Offer of 1 x $6.1M and that he ever gets to decide whether he takes it or not. The setup is deviced as such that if he is still unsigned on June 30, the follow-up plan by the team has already failed.

... or he has bursted and is playing above the 6.1M level.
Or, if he is not being a star playing up to the 6.1, he signs a bridge deal of 2years 3-4mil in january 2022.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I think its more about the lack of hockey entertainment during the offseason.

This is actually some great Drama in the hockey world that tends to be boring.
Like the Tampa’s cap space dilemma last off-season, this weirdly fascinates me because I’m not quite sure what will happen. I can’t quite decide if MB will really let his boy just walk right out that door.

Reactions: japhi

TheFamousFart

Dec 25, 2020
Can only hope teams would start to make offersheets to other teams players that would let them walk straight to UFA after it expires. Would be pretty funny and all on the team who did not sign the RFA before 1 july. Someone offer Pettersson 4 year contract and even when vancouver matches they are in a position they dont want to be in.

Reactions: JurequeparJuraj

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I'm not sure I buy this either. It's too big of a decision to base on whether you can make a trade inside of a one week period.

You're maybe right but I just can't see MB risking letting KK go without first having some sort of backup plan for a replacement center in place before deciding to match or not either.

The Habs center depth even with KK wasn't that great to begin with but potentially starting the season with Suzuki and the likes of Evans, Poehling, Paquette, and maybe Perreault is pretty brutal.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Fair market deals happen when a player is loyal to his team. Kotkaniemi hasn't proven to be loyal with the Habs, why would he be loyal to the Canes? In the scenario you mentionned he would probably sign to the highest bidder as a UFA. The highest bidder would probably have a whole in the lineup which would entice them to overpay him as a UFA.
PNC Arena is where the Finnish mafia is at, he gets to play with a bunch of Finn studs. It’s that or Dallas and I don’t think the Stars have the cap space.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I know there isn't much of a bases for this since it's so rare, but i feel like if they were going to match the offer they would have by now.

Unless it's another game of pettiness and they match 1 minute before the deadline lol.

I have the exact same impression. They would want to show Kotkaniemi some appreciation, the same way the Hurricanes made sure to let Aho know immediately and very publicly that he was part of their plan long term and they were definitely matching.

I think Bergevin has already moved on. But since he is so unpredictable and is known for bonehead decisions at times, I'm not taking anything for granted.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Nationality didn't prevent Danault from signing with LA.
It’s a Finnish Mafia thang tho

Carolina has to keep up.
3EAE8EB4-AC89-4349-8F64-EBB5EC22E5C6.jpeg

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
None of these groups actually care one iota about the QO of $6.1 million. We've got the money and it's factored in as part of the risk equation.

Also the fact that Carolina can get him signed on an offer sheet at $6.1M, evaluate how he looks by January, and then sign him for multi years at $4.5M and it's perfectly legal is something that gets forgotten or ignored. If Montreal matches he isn't taking a cut, but if Carolina gets him out of Montreal? I'm sure he's gonna take a little less. Unless he explodes offensively.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I know there isn't much of a bases for this since it's so rare, but i feel like if they were going to match the offer they would have by now.

Unless it's another game of pettiness and they match 1 minute before the deadline lol.
Just using time to explore options. If the Habs don’t match they need a center (they would be minus Danault and KK).

It has been reported that if MB can’t trade for a C, he will match. But he doesn’t really want too since they say it will create some problems for negotiations with Suzuki and maybe also Romanov.

However, what they are saying is that he can’t do nothing (no trade and no match) since it would be a similar repeat when Markov and co left and he didn’t do anything about it and as a result Habs missed the playoffs.

caufieldbeerman

Jun 21, 2021
I believe if he goes somewhere else he will be a 60-70 points for a long time and we will regret this. I mean kid play when it's important , he has a good attitude , he doesn't have any forces at the moment but play good in every aspects.

Kokatniemi for me will be a Barkov.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He will likely be on the top line full time and on the #1PP unit. He will put up career highs and cash in this summer and sadly then become really overpaid.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
It’s a Finnish Mafia thang tho

Carolina has to keep up.
View attachment 463328

The young Carolina/Dallas combo Finland mafia gonna kick the livin' shite out off the Canadian ol' hockey Sidney-mafia in the Olympics - Finland ain't afraid of Canada ya see, no way - the other other way around. Finland have been in the finals in the Worldchampionships with only two-three or so maybe NHL:rs around. That's enough to give C:nod:anada:thumbu: a hard time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

They'd be stupid not to take the week and explore all options. What is the upside of matching right away? I think silence is the best response right now.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He will likely be on the top line full time and on the #1PP unit. He will put up career highs and cash in this summer and sadly then become really overpaid.

If he is on the top line then that bodes pretty well for that first rounder. I like KK quite a bit but he struggled to carry a third line last year, with responsible linemates and lots of ozone starts. He isn't going to wake up this year and be able to run with Aho on the top line. At least IMO from watching him play close to 200 games.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Like the Tampa’s cap space dilemma last off-season, this weirdly fascinates me because I’m not quite sure what will happen. I can’t quite decide if MB will really let his boy just walk right out that door.

I have no idea how this is going to play out either. MB comes out of nowhere with a lot of his moves, very hard to predict. One thing about him is he doesn't give a flying fart what people think, so I don't see him being attached to KK or worrying about losing a 3OA.

I'm leaning towards him letting him walk, keeping the picks, and doesn't something completely off the wall.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad