Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part V]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Just using time to explore options. If the Habs don’t match they need a center (they would be minus Danault and KK).

It has been reported that if MB can’t trade for a C, he will match. But he doesn’t really want too since they say it will create some problems for negotiations with Suzuki and maybe also Romanov.

However, what they are saying is that he can’t do nothing (no trade and no match) since it would be a similar repeat when Markov and co left and he didn’t do anything about it and as a result Habs missed the playoffs.
Link? because every thing that i have read is just the opposite. That he has really no choice but to let him go.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Over under of how many more “parts” we get on this thread?

I say at least 3 more.

"Pavelski2112, post: 180001147, member: 143447"]The fact that this is already up to 5 is almost as hilarious as the $20 signing bonus

LOL. I see this going down to $2.50 signing bonus per thread...so 3 more sounds about right

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You're maybe right but I just can't see MB risking letting KK go without first having some sort of backup plan for a replacement center in place before deciding to match or not either.

The Habs center depth even with KK wasn't that great to begin with but potentially starting the season with Suzuki and the likes of Evans, Poehling, Paquette, and maybe Perreault is pretty brutal.

Bergevin had 9 years in which to add solid top C assets. Only one he came up with was Suzuki and he was not drafted by the Habs. Oh, and also Aho that he had for one week. :D

Now all of a sudden, he’s going to find one this week thanks to those OS compensatory picks. Can’t wait to find out.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
You're maybe right but I just can't see MB risking letting KK go without first having some sort of backup plan for a replacement center in place before deciding to match or not either.

The Habs center depth even with KK wasn't that great to begin with but potentially starting the season with Suzuki and the likes of Evans, Poehling, Paquette, and maybe Perreault is pretty brutal.

I don't know why people overthink this. We aren't a major contender with one hole that needs major fixing. We're a bubble team. Do we really need to fix the center situation at a moment of the year where there are few available? The season will be a long one, we are a bubble team with many question marks.

No Weber for the season, possibly ever again. Injury-riddled Carey Price who is getting up there in age. Drouin coming back after mysteriously leaving the team, reasons undisclosed.

Our leadership core is gone, injured or declining. Weber, Byron, Danault. Arguably we have Petry and Gallagher left as strong leadership veteran presence, but how will they play this season?

We have forward depth on the wings, but we lack that offensive dynamo. Our defensive depth is paper-thin and we lack mobility on the blue line. We lack power play tools.

Do we really need to go hunting for the missing center like we're the Colorado Avalanche or Tampa Bay lightning one player away from the cup?

Let's ride it out, wait for a time when there are more players available, experiment with our AHLers and youngsters. Maybe someone will take a major step? Happens sometimes. If not maybe sign a veteran on his last leg to hold us off a few months, or trade a low pick for one. We're probably not making the playoffs anyway. But if we surprise, we can always attempt a trade later in the season, when other teams decide it's not their year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The young Carolina/Dallas combo Finland mafia gonna kick the livin' shite out off the Canadian ol' hockey Sidney-mafia in the Olympics - Finland ain't afraid of Canada ya see, no way - the other other way around. Finland have been in the finals in the Worldchampionships with only two-three or so maybe NHL:rs around. That's enough to give C:nod:anada:thumbu: a hard time.

Canada is going to have to find a way to counter that sisu thing, that the Finns rely upon.

I’m guessing they’re going to resort to a bacon and maple syrup concoction.

Last edited:

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
I don't know why people overthink this. We aren't a major contender with one hole that needs major fixing. We're a bubble team. Do we really need to fix the center situation at a moment of the year where there are few available? The season will be a long one, we are a bubble team with many question marks.

No Weber for the season, possibly ever again. Injury-riddled Carey Price who is getting up there in age. Drouin coming back after mysteriously leaving the team, reasons undisclosed.

Our leadership core is gone, injured or declining. Weber, Byron, Danault. Arguably we have Petry and Gallagher left as strong leadership veteran presence, but how will they play this season?

We have forward depth on the wings, but we lack that offensive dynamo. Our defensive depth is paper-thin and we lack mobility on the blue line. We lack power play tools.

Do we really need to go hunting for the missing center like we're the Colorado Avalanche or Tampa Bay lightning one player away from the cup?

Let's ride it out, wait for a time when there are more players available, experiment with our AHLers and youngsters. Maybe someone will take a major step? Happens sometimes. If not maybe sign a veteran on his last leg to hold us off a few months, or trade a low pick for one. We're probably not making the playoffs anyway. But if we surprise, we can always attempt a trade later in the season, when other teams decide it's not their year.

Bye, bye Montreal.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Kotkaniemi wasn't even dominating when he played for Assat Pori last year in Finland, I watched the games on stream and he wasn't a difference maker at all, his team got torched by rivals as he was held scoreless. He didn't look like anything special even in a lesser league, his stickhandling was subpar and he didn't show any playmaking. I think Carolina made a huge mistake offering him such a bloaded offer sheet. Waddell should have read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius instead of doing this deal because it will hurt the Canes more than the Habs. HF fans saying a 1st round pick is not a big deal... what an euphemism! Go ask the SJ Sharks about Karlsson. The Canes are simply not as good as last year, they lost Hamilton and Bean, and now have given up a 1st before even knowing about its value. You are comparing this to a rental but when a contender rents a player they are actually already high in the standings as the season is almost over at the trade deadline. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, ne vendez pas la peau de l'ours avant de l'avoir tué! Next season is a full season, not a covid season. Carolina is taking a huge risk, not a small one.

To be fair I trust their scouts way more over bitter HFboard armchair GMs

You guys act like the Hurricanes have never seen him play or they are clueless about the style of player they need.

Seriously it's embarrassing.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I believe if he goes somewhere else he will be a 60-70 points for a long time and we will regret this. I mean kid play when it's important , he has a good attitude , he doesn't have any forces at the moment but play good in every aspects.

Kokatniemi for me will be a Barkov.

Come the f*** on now. Kotk is not going be half the player Barkov is but that don't mean he can't become very good.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

yeah I'm more or less in the camp of giving Poehling/Evans a chance to step up.

I mean, Evans is 25 so not much to lose with him if we over burden him. Poehling I'm on the fence but he's gonna be 23 this season so he better make the leap soon anyway.

worst scenario? We're a bad team like the past 4/5 seasons.

But like has been said, what kind of center are we gonna find in 2-3 weeks before the season starts?

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Carolina currently has 9 Finns either playing in the NHL or in their system. We could field the Finnish national baseball team.

Baseball is only for , sorry ... women and men in Finland. Actually a national Finland sport. Even though Finland has it's own balls called Pesäpallo League - with crowds topping over 2000 in places like Kitee (of Nighwish fame!); so that's the jive.

Me thinx they take youngsters from that (boring) insider sport over other sports and remember Finland have only 5,5 million people or so that
to play with.

Reactions: Devonator

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Baseball is only for , sorry ... women and men in Finland. Actually a national Finland sport. Even though Finland has it's own balls called Pesäpallo League - with crowds topping over 2000 in places like Kitee (of Nighwish fame!); so that's the jive.

Me thinx they take youngsters from that (boring) insider sport over other sports and remember Finland have only 5,5 million people or so that
to play with.

And IF Finland would'we gonne full baseball - then they've would've been good, real good ... coz Finland and Pesäpallo. Riff Raff.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
In Finland they play their own worsened version with 12 players batting, also some prominent hockey players like Määttä played that at the highest level in juniors.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Depending on where they slot him I suspect he puts up 40-60 points. If he is on the lower end of that spectrum he resigns a 4 year deal around 4-5. If he knocks it out of the park 55 points plus he likely signs 6-8 year deal in the range of 6-7.

Kid is 21 6”3 and 200 plus. He does have a two way game and if not jerked around I think a good 2C, not elite but good.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri

You guys act like the Hurricanes have never seen him play or they are clueless about the style of player they need.

he’s allowed to have an opinion it’s nothing embarrassing

what specifically is wrong in that analysis

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Link? because every thing that i have read is just the opposite. That he has really no choice but to let him go.
30895346-FC8F-48EB-9AB3-3E581757D113.jpeg

Reactions: DaveG

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Carolina is also known to be one of those teams that are all in on advanced statistics and analytics. It could make sense that they targeted KK based on these, especially because he was being scratched, and therefore might have been available in trade. In fact, before this offer sheet, the Canes were pushing hard to trade for him. Obviously there is something they like about him, and it's not revenge.

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Depending on where they slot him I suspect he puts up 40-60 points. If he is on the lower end of that spectrum he resigns a 4 year deal around 4-5. If he knocks it out of the park 55 points plus he likely signs 6-8 year deal in the range of 6-7.

Kid is 21 6”3 and 200 plus. He does have a two way game and if not jerked around I think a good 2C, not elite but good.
The 200lbs weight is a lie, its clear if you've ever seen him before, and even if he is he's not strong and gets knocked around by guys that are 170 and under quite frequently.

bergkk.jpg

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Yesus ...

1. otka... sorry about that Finland. If you do dig Pesäpallo(still better than baseball!). As many of you think I've lived in Sweden since 1972. But I overdose on Finland hockey players - Kotkaniemi is the guy - not for Montreal but for Carolina. Understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad